0.1.8.0 ( Wednesday, 15 February 2017 )
This patch is mostly a performance / experimental patch with a few asset improvements.
Download link: https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape/Access
- Blaster shots particle effect improved: they now behave better under low angles near the center of the screen
- Corvette now has ambient occlusion on its exterior hull mesh
- Consoles are no longer empty in Interceptor cockpit; now uses a static self-emissive texture
- Added exterior windows with self-emissive to Arcadia station ( experimental, windows are very repetitive atm )
- Fixed hiccups related to mouse cursor: cursor icon was recreated every frame even when in focus
- Log file now performs asynchronously - will avoid minor hiccups on slow hard drives
- Physics keyframe interpolation is now multithreaded (x3)
- Static entities no longer invalidate transformations, which avoids useless updates
- Fixed a minor bug with quaternions dual representation which caused some bodies to be dynamic instead of static
- Massive optimizations (x6) to octree updates - now performs much better under heavy workloads
- Massive optimizations to asteroid field animation updates (x3)
- Previous frame matrix calculations for motion blur is now multithreaded (x3)
- Planet's procedurally generated terrain props is now multithreaded and should cause less hiccups when flying low over the terrain at high speeds (x3)
- Optimized frustum culling algorithm (+20% speed)
- Optimization to atmosphere updates
- Fixed slowdowns when landed on planets and powering off in cockpit mode due to invalid IBL priority
Those optimizations fall in 3 categories:
- Hiccups / having a more stable framerate: the game should now behave better for some players who experienced these strange issues. We've still indentified one additional source of major hiccups related to Windows's message queue. This cannot be fixed in the current version, but we'll come back on it later on.
- Adding local multi-threading to some parts of the engine: those can easily double or triple performance, but only at a local ( sub-algorithmic ) level that was relatively fast to start with. Therefore those changes will mostly go unnoticable to most players.
- Algorithmic improvements like culling / octree updates: those can bring massive speedups, but only in the heaviest scenarios, involving complex scenes.
Overall framerate improvement should be between +10% to +40%, depending on the scene. Here are some examples between the old version 0.1.7.3 and 0.1.8.0, tested on an i7 6700K with an NVidia GTX 1070;:
Kupraxia ( ring ) station: 101 fps (before) vs 117 fps (after): +16%
Myron station: 87 fps (before) vs 101 fps (after): +16%
Arcadia station: 51 fps (before) vs 63 fps (after): +24% ( note that the station has windows now, so real number is probably closer to +30% )
Kallios station: 76 fps ( before ) vs 81 fps ( after): +6%
On a local test ( not public ) involving 40 space stations, framerate went from 25 fps ( before ) to 65 fps ( after ): +160%