The Random Thread

Got this from the KickStarter Anxiety? Thread. Its too funny to leave it there.

5 Likes

gotta love crazy space potato man

1 Like

Do you know 4chan? I’m writing a short paper about it and could user your help. Please consider taking two minutes to fill this out:

1 Like

Tehe …

Has anyone here baked cookies with walnut oil?

Tried it recently, failed horribly. Although I do now have a bucket of nicely tasting crumbs to go with the yoghurt in the morning.

The issue, in hindsight is that the oil makes the dough a lot less viscose with less oil than it would with molten butter, so I had less once I noticed the dough was getting ridiculously runny. But once it got hot the dough hardened a lot and was impossible to get off without making crumbs of it.

Maybe making a extremely runny dough and use some plate with raised edges I guess?

Walnut oil is bloody expensive, so that’s why I am asking, perhaps I would have better luck asking on a baking site. But the thought crossed me here, so why the heck not? ^^

2 Likes

WHY WOULD DO THAT!?

-hrm-

Walnut oil is not just less viscose, it also has a subtle flavour. Baking things with it is wasteful, and ruins its best feature.
You should use it on either cold or already cooked dishes, and avoid using it with strong-flavoured ingredients. So no sugary food, as sugar would overwhelm it.
On the flip side, you don’t need much to season your dish.

I generally use it with salad (using it alone as a condiment), beans or vapour-cooked vegetables. Quality oil can add a je ne sais quoi that doesn’t fundamentally change the taste of the dish, but improves it.
Sometimes, it can be surprising. While I would recommend experimenting with small quantities at first (it doesn’t always work out), I remember once having cheap spring rolls being transformed into something pretty nice.

My parents live in a quite famously walnut-producing region, so I always make sure to get some local walnut oil when passing by, be it to keep stocked or for gifts.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from The Random Thread:

Well, it did say among the usages on the packaging, “baking” that was my first sign. ^^

Second off, I am currently testing baking with gluten free alternatives for some relatives who are intolerant and in this case I got hazelnut flour, thought I’d add some nuts and this oil to go 100% with the nut flavour of the cookie.

That and trying alternatives for butter(Due to the environmental impact of cattle, though it can be lessened in the future), tried rapeseed oil (It can leave a very oily feeling in the mouth though), kokonut oil (Makes the cookies very hard when in room temperature) and margarine (contains palm oil, rather not due to environmental issues.)

But I’ll take your advice on it, I might simply add a tad in the future to get some flavour, but since you say I should use it cold… Well on potential frosting/topping perhaps?

I normally use walnut oil as a dressing for salads or other cold savoury dishes.

Maybe try a combination of coconut oil and rapeseed oil?

Interesting, do share what interesting results you get! :smiley:

I can see it work in topping with, keeping in mind that we must avoid strong flavours with it. With frosting I’d fear that sugar would cover its flavour, though.
Again, I’d be curious to read what you obtain with it!

FINALS WEEK IS OVER and I could not be happier. This was probably my worst week of finals I’ve ever had and I’m just relieved that it’s done with and I can relax. I’m still sick though which made the week even more interesting(miserable).

I’m not sure how many others are students besides @Arkenbrien but if you’re reading this and your finals are next week good luck and you can make it!

1 Like

One down, two to go! One’s a tougher one, but the other should be a piece of cake.

1 Like

The end is near!

I finally get to take a break from coffee too…let the withdrawals begin!

1 Like
1 Like

[rant]
Not so much upset with the manoeuvre, it’s just that the visuals lie. The air burst into flames at a speed of about 130 miles an hour and at its fastest right before the jump it would have been going ~ 920 miles an hour and that’s not even accounting for drag! Way too slow.

You can clearly see it jump in UNDER the cloud-layer rather than above it. So even if the edits and cuts are meant to show more time than you see on-screen there’s still a whole bunch of issues with it.

If it jumped in while stationary it should never have gotten up to a speed capable of heating up the atmosphere to that degree.

If it jumped in while moving fast enough to create that amount of heat it should probably have been slowing down the further it fell rather than speeding up. Would have showed it burning the most just after the jump rather than before.

Don’t even get me started on how the strike-craft aren’t affected at all!
[/rant]

Still one of my favourite sci-fi military actions

1 Like

Hah :wink:

So it exited jump going fast enough for an atmospheric compression effect. It is slowing down (though it may use its own manoeuvring engines to push down - they seem to be invisible when firing anyway) but the hull is heating up, so it still ends up brighter at the end than in the beginning.

And the strike crafts aren’t affected because they are aerospace crafts, not space-only like the Galactica. So obviously, they can move in the atmosphere without burning up. They must have, uh… extra-slick coating so air can move around without being compressed as much or something andshutupitsscifyanyway.
I’d expect them to be slammed up, though, something that is missing in the scene.

(Still wondering how any form of civilisation can exist with magical everywhere-to-everywhere jump without destroying itself in the next five minutes, or why the Cylons needed to anything but jump nukes all over their cities and bases. But let’s play along - the show is still pretty good)

Also

ergo your argument is invalid.
We’re talking about SF, so let’s not use backwardly obsolete legacy units of measure. And yes I watched the entire show. I know what point you want to make about SF and the future. Shush.

Obviously you should use leagues.

2 Likes

You know very well that bio-engineered weapons are much cleaner than nukes, you just need to clean up the bodies, maybe even that could be included. :wink:

1 Like

If you really created a sudden vacuum of that magnitude in an atmosphere there would be more than a thunderclap.

This size of the Galactica is 1438x536x183 meters which is about 141 million cubic meters of air that would be implosively displaced. It would be the mother of all vacuum bombs. I’d love to know that the blast radius of that would be.

2 Likes

Come on, it’s been years since I’ve tried very hard to not think about this detail.

Also, if you want to keep the planet clean and bioweapons are too much of a hassle to fine-tune, why wouldn’t they use crude but massive ships to jump in-jump out at low altitude? They clearly showed the ability for double-jumps in the first (or second) episode with a raider.

That’s why when Niven and Pournelle worked their drive out for Mote in God’s Eye, they went to physicist Dan Alderson and carefully weighted the implications of varied types of drives.
This one is actually the worst possible combination in regard of not wiping civilisation up in the next five minutes.

4 Likes