New Blog post: state of the Infinity Battlescape Kickstarter and prototype

We’ve reached an agreement. I am to receive payment in fuzzy dice and bobbleheads…

2 Likes

No, it was fuzzy heads and Boggle dice.

3 Likes

Woops. I don’t know why I messed that…maybe Inovae has started their genetic testing program on unwilling people unbeknownst to them!

/Sky puts on his tinfoil hat for protection from the dark ones.

1 Like

Ah, good point. I remember the pain of creating normal maps from high poly models. Anything to reduce the work needed there could indeed help the development process rather than hinder it.

Thanks for the reply and setting my mind at ease Andre :smile:

Got home and found I have a 1GB GTX 560 Ti so not eligible :frowning: I wasn’t sure what I had as I got it from a friend after my previous card died.

I hope you get some good testers :smiley:

Yes it’s a stretch goal and yes Vulkan (from what I’ve seen so far which isn’t the final spec) is very similar to D3D12. We are cautiously inclined toward Vulkan due to cross platform support. I say cautiously as cross platform support was the primary incentive for OpenGL however OpenGL evovled into a truly terrible API and we’re a bit worried that could happen again with Vulkan. That being said if we want Android support we’ll have to implement it eventually so… Vulkan is definitely what we’re leaning toward.

3 Likes

While I havent been following its actual specifications, I have been following a technical news site that has said as much. With large companies such as Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, and Google a part of its design, I doubt it will turn into a big ugly monster that OpenGL sorta turned into. Its also why there is a big push in the open source world for wayland instead of Xorg for its window server. Modern programming practices makes such library switches necessary every once in a while.

Also, AMD and NVIDIA plan on having near-same day drivers for Vulkan for the linux platform once the specs are released a bit later this year.

I would be a happy camper if the game engine eventually supported Vulkan.

3 Likes

So would we =D

4 Likes

Well… I would love to apply

1 Like

I have a HD 7950 with 3 gigs. Hopefully that will be good enough. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Hey! this is my card!

We should play multiplayer powerpoint together.

6 Likes

Alas my 660ti is just off the mark. I have my $250 waiting though.

Just go the Star Trek way: Force Fields and Shield shape modulation …hada jada.

2 Likes

Understand that no one really likes them. But you have to admit, it does a damn fine job at weeding out the people who are borderline fanatics from the true nutjobs. That being said, a post a day for a bit, and read a couple topics. And unless you’re a total douche, you’ll get it sooner or later.

I’ve lost and regained it several times now. Dont spend enough time in the “three words” thread probably, i actually have it muted. Would like to have a public “lounge” category to put more trivial threads like that rather than general discussion.

1 Like

What are you trying to play? My frame rate is perfectly fine in everything I want to play - Arma 3, Insurgency, Kerbal Space Program, War Thunder, Elite Dangerous (although I don’t play any more).

I was joking.
Actually, the onlky thing it struggles with is myt DF vis.

1 Like

So you’re suggesting that I act disingenuously for a while so that I can develop a “trust” level. I’m sorry, but I back away slowly from crazy.

1 Like

Because art is gameplay overhead. The fancier the graphics, the more costly it is to introduce a single gameplay interaction. I may well be able to come up with all sorts of interesting gameplay, but it falls to the artists to depict it all. If the graphics level is highly realistic and detailed, then each gameplay interaction that I come up with requires some highly realistic and detailed depiction. The result is a ballooning budget. For a given budget, the fancier the graphics, the simpler the gameplay.

This is why AAA titles are the way they are. Fancy graphics just don’t allow for fancy gameplay. Look at games that have piles and piles of gameplay interactions and you’ll find simpler graphics. Dwarf Fortress is probably a good example. The author decided to crank out the gameplay, and to then present those interactions in a highly symbolic fashion. If he had tried to depict everything at Elite:Dangerous levels, he’d have abandoned most of his interactions in hope of getting a game out within a year or so.

2 Likes

@INovaeFlavien, @INovaeKeith

With Kickstarter you have to specify estimated delivery dates of the tiers.
Please can you tell us the earliest that Battlescape could enter the Alpha testing stage of development if everything were to go perfectly?

Spring 2017?