New Blog post: state of the Infinity Battlescape Kickstarter and prototype

Hey! this is my card!

We should play multiplayer powerpoint together.

6 Likes

Alas my 660ti is just off the mark. I have my $250 waiting though.

Just go the Star Trek way: Force Fields and Shield shape modulation …hada jada.

2 Likes

Understand that no one really likes them. But you have to admit, it does a damn fine job at weeding out the people who are borderline fanatics from the true nutjobs. That being said, a post a day for a bit, and read a couple topics. And unless you’re a total douche, you’ll get it sooner or later.

I’ve lost and regained it several times now. Dont spend enough time in the “three words” thread probably, i actually have it muted. Would like to have a public “lounge” category to put more trivial threads like that rather than general discussion.

1 Like

What are you trying to play? My frame rate is perfectly fine in everything I want to play - Arma 3, Insurgency, Kerbal Space Program, War Thunder, Elite Dangerous (although I don’t play any more).

I was joking.
Actually, the onlky thing it struggles with is myt DF vis.

1 Like

So you’re suggesting that I act disingenuously for a while so that I can develop a “trust” level. I’m sorry, but I back away slowly from crazy.

1 Like

Because art is gameplay overhead. The fancier the graphics, the more costly it is to introduce a single gameplay interaction. I may well be able to come up with all sorts of interesting gameplay, but it falls to the artists to depict it all. If the graphics level is highly realistic and detailed, then each gameplay interaction that I come up with requires some highly realistic and detailed depiction. The result is a ballooning budget. For a given budget, the fancier the graphics, the simpler the gameplay.

This is why AAA titles are the way they are. Fancy graphics just don’t allow for fancy gameplay. Look at games that have piles and piles of gameplay interactions and you’ll find simpler graphics. Dwarf Fortress is probably a good example. The author decided to crank out the gameplay, and to then present those interactions in a highly symbolic fashion. If he had tried to depict everything at Elite:Dangerous levels, he’d have abandoned most of his interactions in hope of getting a game out within a year or so.

2 Likes

@INovaeFlavien, @INovaeKeith

With Kickstarter you have to specify estimated delivery dates of the tiers.
Please can you tell us the earliest that Battlescape could enter the Alpha testing stage of development if everything were to go perfectly?

Spring 2017?

Ideally Q4 2016 for Alpha. However, you mentioned “perfectly” :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks Gene.

In that case I’ll hold off getting a new GFX card.

So about that trust level…

I started lurking on the old forums and carried over the bad habit to the new ones. As a consequence, my trust level = 1. I’ve got a nice rig with a high end-ish graphics card (XFX 290x). Is there any way I can raise my trust level/somehow become eligible for the play-test this weekend? Will spamming a bunch of replies help any?

4 Likes

Yes. Though lurkers didn’t show how dedicated they are, neither did they reveal any of their personality trough discourse, so I wouldn’t get your hopes to up for you to get chosen because of said reason.

Here’s how you obtain the level 2 … note that it usually should happen naturally. Why not participate in some of the debates we had? I’m sure you have ideas or viewpoints we didn’t touch yet.

2 Likes

Before I say anything let it be known that I also agree that trust levels are stupid. However, the forums and amount of threads are small enough that if you post regularly (few times a week) chances are you already have it.

Its not a minimum post limit, just a minimum thread reply limit of 10. The fact that 15% of my posts are in that thread only satisfies 1/10th of one requirement. The only other requirement it satisfies is that its been “read” which there are number of threads and only 2 threads on the forum(that I can find) that I haven’t completely “read”.

I think Inovae used the trust levels because it was the easier way to limit the number of people asking to be apart of the test. If they didn’t, people would come flooding out of the woods at the chance. Discourse provided them already with an easy way to differentiate users for better or for worse. I don’t see what the big deal is.

At this point,Trust 2 users is just about everyone who posts weekly so the core community is already included anyways. No harm no foul.

Never thought I’d see those words when I was just saying something simple. But if you’re a douchebag then feel free to never make it up the trust levels which mean almost nothing anyways. Honestly it disgusts me if you have to be lying to yourself on a forum just to act like a polite human.

Exactly. I needed an arbitrary criteria to select a low amount of people ( like, 5 max ), and taking lurkers / random forum members sounded like it would piss off the regulars who contribute more actively to this community.

6 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation.

@Kreydis that’s unnecessary. I almost responded to that as well but I figured it wasn’t worth it. Let’s not bring this awesome thread down to that level.

[quote=“Kreydis, post:76, topic:995”]
Never thought I’d see those words when I was just saying something simple.[/quote]

What you said is rather more complex than you think. You suggested that I post for a reason other than a sincere desire to contribute to a discussion. That reason is to gain an additional “trust” level on the forum. That is where the word “disingenuous” came in. It did not mean “I’m a jerk, and you’re asking me to be nice.”

Hopefully you won’t hold off too long. Unless your old card can really keep the pace ^^

1 Like