I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

I think stars with googley eyes also within the realms of awesome…and planets. Ships too. I nerd a googly eye decal!

1 Like

I just recognized, that most stars are bluish, while some are reddish. Is your universe too expanding?

2 Likes

There are a lot more red stars than blue ones, but blue ones are brighter while red ones are dimmer. As a result of HDR eye adaptation, only the brightest ones in this shot are visible, which would mostly be the blue ones.

4 Likes

Expansion leads to red-shifting. If the overabundance of blue was caused by cosmic movement, this universe would be contracting.

5 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that.

Right, I got this wrong. After Flaviens answer I already realized that the longer wave-lengths should shift to red.

The shorter wavelengths are shifted to red. The longer wavelengths are shifted to IR, microwave, etc.

:stuck_out_tongue:
Wrong :wink:
it’s UV etc.

Erm, the clue is in the name is it not? Infra red (also, screw you discourse and your dodgy markdown)

No, he’s correct.
He didn’t say short wavelengths are red, he said the shorter wavelengths get shifted to red.

This is quite basic physics that most people learn by the time they’re 12 so I don’t think we need to worry about anyone not understanding it :smiley:

So the longer wavelengths are not shifted?
What about the shorter wavelengths… shorter than radio frequencies… for example Infrared…? Is it shifted to red too?

1 Like

“Shorter than radio frequencies”? What?

So what are those “longer wave-lengths” you were talking about earlier? Voice Frequency?

For the sake of clarity, when I refer to “shorter” and “longer” wavelengths, I mean “shorter” and “longer” than the colour of the Sun (which happens to be nicely centred in the visible spectrum because natural selection).

1 Like

I made a video containing some of the screenshots hutch has posted the past year. Can be shared easily to other media to draw more people to this thread.

7 Likes

That’s nice, but ‘Gameplay’ in the title is pretty inaccurate.

3 Likes

Yeah but quite search effective;-)

1 Like

Just to clear up the wavelength debate (since everyone seemed to be getting confused)…
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OUOQs1yVuH0/TSdYrqylO2I/AAAAAAAAAF8/3dZ4qphujzI/s1600/electromagnetic-spectrum.jpg

Example: You have a light wave that at source is emitted dead centre in the electromagnetic spectrum (green).

Stretching the space-time continuum makes that light wave shift to the left of the picture (longer wavelengths, ‘redder’ light)

Contracting the space-time continuum will cause the light to shift right (the ‘bluer’, shorter end).

This is true no matter where your starting point is. The light itself doesn’t have to actually be red after the shift, just nearer red than it originally was for it to have been “red-shifted”. And vice versa for blue.

2 Likes

Please change the title of that youtube vid, make sure it states it is a fan created vid. We’d appreciate it if fans could refrain from augmenting INS released content with forum/contributor art. I see some ships in one of the screenshots that do not belong/not INS official content.

4 Likes

Yes, I would advise against using my hastily photoshopped fan image in this video. Just stick to the official stuff please.

1 Like

Which one is that?

1 Like

This post here, not an official screenshot, many of those ships are Photoshoped in.

2 Likes

Also, if anyone in the future is compelled to make other “fan images”, they need to remove our logo.

3 Likes