I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

I will put up a new video without that screenshot! Also with better cropped images and a different title.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be, if not a violation of copyright law, then at least of common courtesy? Generally logos like that are put in images precisely so that anyone reusing them will not (be able to) remove them, to lead to the original source of them.

Rather I would suggest expanding your logo with, in very large font, the word “UNOFFICIAL” in such unofficial images. Full credit given to original creator but also clearly not, well, official.

2 Likes

And there we go again, drifting away from the topic to hard scientific fact explanations. Man I love it here :smiley:

4 Likes

In the mean time, I suggest you take the current one down.

But so wrong on multiple levels.
Misleading people does one thing; pisses them off. This reflects badly on INS and the community.

3 Likes

We would definitely prefer that people do not doctor our released images and repost them on the net, but that’s going to happen no matter what I think. Also, I’m not a fan of having to put huge watermarks across our screenshots etc. At a minimum, I’d hope forum/community members could refrain from such activities, especially during the pre-kickstarter “era”.

3 Likes

You know, censoring one guy that has been a part of this community forever is really easy to do, it’s not really an option out there in the open Internet. The best you can do is file a complaint to Youtube and then see if they consider it a copyright violation, which to be honest this does not look like. There must be millions of videos out there claiming “gameplay” and using logos that have nothing to do with the game.

I say, chill and learn to live with the fact that people will be making videos about your game that you do not like.

/edit
ninja by Gene :wink:

4 Likes

What? Why?

All publicity is good publicity, and you need every bit of publicity you can get if you want to do a Kickstarter without a PR budget the same size as the minimum funding goal.

Asking people not to do it wont work, asking people that “if they do it please follow these 3 simple steps” also wont work, but it’ll have a more visible success rate.

Certainly don’t put huge watermarks on anything. A logo in the corner will tell people where to start looking. A lack of logo will make for a longer, more difficult search, which in itself can lead to additional publicity by something as simple as a “source please” post on twitter/reddit/where-ever.

3 Likes

Because we’re trying to pitch a crowdfunding campaign, and inconsistent content/misinformation could hurt that effort IMO. And the video in question was talking about procedural gameplay, from, some screenshots we have released… We have not officially proposed any gameplay publicly yet but somehow now this video is stating gameplay “facts” about our project.

An I-Novae logo on a screenshot of ours where someone photoshops in an ED ship getting shot could do us more harm than good for example.

2 Likes

You should put that in the KS pitch and see if it does you any good. :wink:

3 Likes

Technically speaking misinformation is a double edged sword, it could also help as much as it could hurt :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Practically speaking, you can’t censor the Internet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No, but I think asking community members to not misinform the masses is “doable”. I guess we’ll find out though…

3 Likes

You think that video is misinformation, I think it’s wonderful, it shows images that you released to the public, it’s nicely edited, has pleasant music and it shows no p****es.

Really, guy deserves a pat on the back, not opposition.

2 Likes

Just wait lol.

2 Likes

For the moment at this small scale, yes misinformation is important. But you will find it hard to manage fan content once the game is announced. I would encourage a positive mentality toward community content because it is all you have to market your game. The more clearly you communicate what your game is, the more easily the fans will be able to reiterate that message in their content.

This has been a successful part of CIG’s strategy for SC.

Basically: anticipate the worst, encourage the best.

3 Likes

And all was well again:

14 Likes

PR for gene tip 37: Try not to discourage fans too much especially during the earlier stages, and when you do add a lengthier and “bubblewrapped” explanation to justify it better and reduce instances of people seeing your post in isolation and getting mad at perceived snapping at other fans.

5 Likes

Lovely video SpaceDonki and well done updating it so quickly in response to some of the concerns people had.

7 Likes

I think the only problem anyone had with the video, was the word “gameplay” in the title (which has been fixed). It is an otherwise fantastic piece of video editing.

As for encouraging/discouraging fans. I think Gene doesn’t want too much disinformation leading to unrealistic or conflated expectations of Battlescape, which is something that can really only be managed by effective communication at all times.

4 Likes

But that is exactly what we want! That stuff makes for a successful Kickstarter… à la Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

Tell people “We’re going to make an awesome space game. Here’s some cool CGI video that may or may not be representative of the final gameplay.” (But don’t say that last bit) … and people’s imaginations will open their wallets for them.

(Literally not joking. But I know INS can’t afford a CGI trailer.)

3 Likes