I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

I like that far more than the stuff I’ve seen in other space games. Star Citizen has these awful planar elements all over the ships, while Elite:Dangerous has ships that are simply uninspiring. You’ve got something that looks like a functioning mechanical object. It has a solid feel to it. I also like the color scheme, though I’d prefer some lighter elements to be worked in.

Nice work.

So when do I get to put together a model ship out of plastic / metal parts?

WHAT!!! Why isn’t it seen in a SUN SET?!? /crys

1 Like

Yep, I agree. It’s nice to see a ship that has interesting geometry that is also believable as a star ship. Great work Andre.

Wow that looks amazing!! I would fly the crap out of that!

:kissing_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

While this looks very nice, I really wish we had centurean styles already. This deltean fraction looks far too similar to all existing space-art. What I’d really love to see is those HQ-models with the beautiful atmospheric colors on matte white platings.

Cent / Deltan are stretchgoals I believe, so less of a priority to concept up atm.

1 Like

What’s shown is an SFC ship, not Deltan.

As Andre said, Battlescape will feature SFC ships only. Cent ships will likely be a higher stretch goal, and Deltan probably DLC only.

1 Like

Lol. Thanks for making my morning brighter! :laughing:

1 Like

Uh, Oh…
Ehm… I thought SFC was boxy and industrial/rusty…
This looks angular, carefully craftet, even aerodynamical… All properties I would expect to see at Deltan ships.

Wow !
That is Really awesome looking ship.

We have 3 concept artists, they all don’t like to follow the “rules” rigidly. Also, we have significantly increased the tri-counts of all ships, so that does impact our ship designs as well.

1 Like

I think some smallish SFC ships would naturally have similarities to Deltan designs. The SFC is a split from the Deltan Empire so they have the same cultural root, and the SFC ship manufacturers are independent corporations who are free to design their ships however they see fit.
You wouldn’t expect all SFC ships to follow a unified design aesthetic when they are coming from different manufacturers.

4 Likes

I dunno, from what I’ve seen, all German cars loook similar to each other, as do all american cars, and all japanese cars

:stuck_out_tongue:

Battlescape will have a small subset of assets when compared to the MMO. I’m in favor of a more rigid adherence to the design styles, for now. Later on we could expand the variety as we introduce more assets/various manufacturers.

I am glad there will be more variety. I’ve always thought rigid adherence lacked a degree of believability.

1 Like

Well, to think about it a different way, why is the SFC boxy and rusty? Because boxes are easier to pack stuff into, and rust wont be a problem on spaceships as they’re generally designed to continue functioning even after a small meteorite punches a hole in any external parts.

Why would a SFC heavy interceptor look angular, carefully crafted, and aerodynamic? Because angles are cheaper than curves, aerodynamics makes you just a little more likely to continue functioning in an atmosphere after your shields fail, and… well, probably no one at Folding Stars Shipyards cared or even noticed the finely crafted looks, it just happened to turn out that way for utility reasons.

Why would a SFC heavy interceptor not look angular, carefully crafted, and aerodynamic? Because if it was, it would look the same a Deltan heavy interceptor. If this is how SFC looks, Deltan will look like a boring variant of SFC.

Personally, I like the idea of of some SFC ships having Deltan influences. Ignoring that the Confederacy used to be a bunch of Deltan colonies, it’s a pretty cosmopolitan place.

The interceptor is perfectly Starfold. It’s got all the harsh lines and brutal detailing, but it’s got them in the manner of a main battle tank rather than construction equipment.

Deltan ships, on the other hand, would be more along the lines of luxury cars and stealth fighters in terms of aesthetics.

2 Likes