I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

Awesome screenshots (as always) but the weathering on the ship texture is a bit too heavy, at least for my taste.
Maybe for the Kickstarter it is better to make the ships look more “fresh out of the factory”. For a flyable player-ship it is more appealing then a scrapyard-look. But when it’s a mining vessel it’s ok. Also it would be nice if you make a feature out of it. The longer you use/abuse a ship, the dirtier it Looks.

2 Likes

What your suggesting is way out of scope for the KS video or prototype at this point in time. As far as weathering and damage for I:B, that is a funding/scope issue.

1 Like

I don’t care for the dirty look either, but there’s no reason that the ships should look fresh. That’s particularly true if it fits the lore of the Battlescape period. I just hope that there is lore tying INS’s games together, and the dirt is there for good reason other than “We think the dirty look will sell.”

2 Likes

As I have said before, the lore for I:B will be minimalistic at best, if I:B as a product is successful we can acquire more talent to expand the lore and ofc hopefully develop other Infinity Universe products that tie into that lore. As far as the Hellion textures being “dirty”, it’s the aesthetic the art team likes and has chosen, it isn’t any more complex than that. And as I have also mentioned in the past (maybe on the old forums, not sure), yes, we’d certainly like ships to start “clean” and collect grunge over time, but that is unlikely for a min funded I:B, that’s more for an MMO. A minimally funded I:B would likely have a chosen aesthetic, and what you see in the KS campaign while WIP, will display the direction we’re taking the aesthetic.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t really make sense on the timescales likely to be involved in I:B anyway. I mean, I’d be really surprised if having a spaceship last for days is likely to happen, and having it get dirtied up in a matter of hours seems… odd.

I plan to live damnit!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, the old dirt maps… Certainly doable, just a matter of time & money.

1 Like

The only thing that scares me when seeing the screenshot is the missing (or bad?) anti-aliasing that is very visible in the first screen. Normally AA is simply an on/off feature, but in case of screen space lighting i think this is rather complicated…

Which screenshot are you referring to?

Unfortunately aliasing is one of those facts of life akin to taxes and death. We do have a solution, but it was giving us some issues and iirc in the prototype that solution is turned off, but I will try to confirm with Flavien.

3 Likes

It’s Sunday again, which means a mini status update and some pretty images.

We had another playtest yesterday, tested out some different atmospheric settings, which have made the “Fly as fast as you can as close to the ground as you can, game,” even more fun :wink: I’ve already spent far too much time buzzing the surface at high speeds, it’s a great way to familiarize oneself with the controls and boundaries of the ship.
I’d love to share a short video or a gif from inside the proto, but here are still a few things we need to do before we reach that point :wink:

A while back we showed off some of our early volcanic textures, well we’re starting to put them in the demo for further testing. Checking to make sure the tiling isn’t obvious, and that all PBR maps are performing as desired for each material.

This weeks screenshots show couple planets with those WIP Volcanic textures and materials.

Dark Volcanic surface with a bright orange atmosphere at a reddish yellow star… and a little something on the surface…

Dark Volcanic surface with a green atmosphere and a whitish blue star.

18 Likes

Damn, the 2nd screenshot is my favorite from all of them now! My artistic mind whispers it’s beautiful. I can not exactly explain why. Maybe the colours do the trick, maybe the distant star, maybe the terrain formations, maybe all together.
It just Looks so huge and majestic!

5 Likes

This is a seriously beautiful game you’re making. Well done to all, and particularly Flavien for sticking with his dream for all these years.

8 Likes

It’s because it’s not a sunset, makes it stand out.

10 Likes

I am in love with those screenshots.

1 Like

I think it’s the colors. I noticed the same thing. It’s almost as if the planet is made of copper, with a dusty atmosphere. The mountain range extending into the distance only to be lost in the haze is very nice.

After a brilliant week of Maine, eating lobster, crab claws, and the most delicious, delectable, and divine salmon steak I probably will ever eat in my life, I set out 5:45 this morning on my return home. It is now 11:45 pm, and I got on, saw this beautiful screeny, set it as my wallpaper, and now I’m going to lie down in a self-induced coma for the next 10 hours.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is there something like a milky way visible in the back of the second screen? And is the star field already rendered from procedural generated 3D positions of other stars?

3 Likes

Hell yeah :wink:

6 Likes