Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Tzedakah Class Destroyer

A couple of side views. Almost ready to try and take on the bottom.

2 Likes

Ah this brings back memories. Great initiative Lucas

1 Like

How’s everyone doing with their concepts? The second deadline approaches. :wink:

My weeks have been unexpectedly busy with study and family stuff. I only have time this Sunday evening, so that’s going to be one long session.

2 Likes

You might get something in for the competition :smiley:

Umm, guess I’ve been out of touch for awhile, so I’m gonna go with…no.

I’m just gonna call mine a perpetual work in progress and I’ll throw it out there if I make enough headway to merit public criticism (doesn’t meet my aesthetic standards yet). Plus I’m a modeling noob so there’s that.

Getting close on the bottom. Got one more Turret to develop tomorrow for it.

5 Likes

Looking forward to it. :smiley: Shall we end the competition after tomorrow then?

Allright. So I almost decided to not make any new drawing because I just came home and didn’t feel like I’d have enough time, but then decided to try one more sketch using this one as underlayer:

I’m quite happy with the result :smile:

Yes there are some perspective issues :stuck_out_tongue:

Tomorrow I can scan it in and upload a cleaner picture and in higher definition. I’m also very tempted to edit it in PhotoShop and add color etc., and I should add more views, but I really don’t have time until next week. So I’ll consider just this linedrawing to be my final entry.

I suddenly noticed a GIF made by Google Plus based on a picture I made earlier :smiley: If you click on it you can see the animation:

3 Likes

Great looking new detail there :smiley:

Sounds like a good idea Lucas.

Only got these little guys done today. Well there good enough I suppose.

3 Likes

Great :smiley: Any final render images? And we will also wait for Wybo to post his final scanned images.

After that… the vote begins.

OK so here’s my final entry:

I couldn’t resist PhotoShopping it :wink: I’m still not sure about the color scheme.

I think it would be good if all contestants supplied 1 image to be shown in the opening post.

9 Likes

Fantastic :smiley: Ok I guess we will close the competition now.

Challenge 1 - Centaurus Destroyer - Voting Opened

The voting is now open. Everyone in the forums can participate.

Contestants:

1. Wybo with his Deimos Class Destroyer
2. UniversalPainKiller with his Tzedakah Class Destroyer
3. LucasFIN with his Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

It’s one vote per forum member. Make a post where you give the name of the contestant/ship you vote and a brief explanation why you ended up choosing that particular concept. Some words for those you didn’t choose will also be appreciated. Even criticism is appreciated since we are artists who are constantly striving to better ourselves :wink:

Voting will close next Sunday (21st of December).

2 Likes

I am voting for:

Universalpainkiller’s Tzedakah Class Destroyer.

A stunningly complex ship with a lot of interesting shapes to entertain the eye. It seems you ended up modeling the whole ship in the end after all :smiley:

The ship has some characteristics of the centaurus style IMO but I think it is somewhat lacking the famous centauran flow of shapes in a macro level (many individual shapes do flow nicely). I’m also guessing those very dominant wing shapes would be a big no in the infinity universe. But since following the traditional style guides was not demanded here I think it doesn’t matter.

Some criticism for the cockpit-like bridges. They make the ship look a bit smaller than described (455 m?). They also seem a bit vulnerable, although I recall someone mentioning that glass like materials were as though as armor in the Infinity universe. The detail I’m disliking the most are probably those organic back winglets with guns. I think they look a bit alien like.

All in all I think the ship is fantastic. It is not the most classical looking Centaurus ship so far but I think it is certainly one of the most interesting looking ships we have seen :smiley:

I’m also very pleased that Wybo got his concept ready for the competition. Really liking your style! Reminds me of the style INovaeJan/Stannum uses. Bonus points for you for making a mostly hand drawn concept. The sharp corners on the front eat away the centauran feel a little but otherwise it has some “centaurusness” in it :). I’m almost getting an industrial feel out of it. Edit: the greeble is just fantastic!

1 Like

I am voting for:

##Wybo’s Deimos Class Destroyer

Even though Lucas work is Top Notch as always :slight_smile: I had to go with Wybos Destroyer.

This shape is fun, sleek and still aggressive. Cutting trough space in a mechanized deadly way. The greeble also looks nice and the way the shapes interact isn’t as thought out like in other designs which brings in these interesting half corners. Most Centaurus ships I saw in the past just sloped over those corners but you ether went to greeble or left it intersected. Nice work!

Only downside is that the back didn’t get enough attentions as it seems. But that’s ok as everyone was struggling for time.

1 Like

I didn’t realize at first that the theme was to be a destroyer, so the ships should feel large. I really like the design as a merchant type ship that would land on planets and ferry goods around. It looks more akin to a freighter than a ship of war which isn’t a bad thing. Surprise can be a good thing on the battlefield :stuck_out_tongue: Looking back on it with a destroyer classed ship in mind I do like it with that role as well.

I really like Universal Painki’s design. It reminds me of a ship that would come from the Gungans, thought hopefully not flown by Jar Jar. Although I’m not sure if the ship should look more look more like a submarine than a spacecraft. They are indeed similar, and I do like my wingybits. It is overall very sleek and looks very deadly.

Lucas, Your ship really reminds me of the Heart of Gold and it looks the most destroyeresque out of all 3 submissions. It also conveys the size of being half a kilometer in length the best as well. The other submissions feel small in comparison. Your ship follows the form of the centaurs the best imo.

I’m voting for Wybo’s Diemost class Destroyer. I chose mostly based off of it looking like a spacecraft of war really look like. Boxy and fitting to form to consolidate armor in the places you need it. I like the folds on the bow too, and as I said before, in the postwar the diemost could easily be refitted into a freighter :smiley:

1 Like

This contest was a great way to get me motivated to do something.

My vote is

Lucas Eternal Harmony Class Destroyer

***. ‘Lucas Destroyer’ is a top notch example of Classic Infinity Centaurus design. It has a futuristic, believable and plausible appearance. Front appears as though it could clear a path through any mob. My favorite part is the ‘THOR’ like rear side extensions with guns riding on top. I might add a bit more elements to increase its already large appearance.

I like Wybo’s design very much. Tuff looking. Good Balance between solid and mechanical, large vs. small elements. Would be great to see opposite perspective view. This seemed the Most believable design of the 3. I don’t know why but I envision the future of space being filled with of this style.

I certainly bit off a lot more then I expected when trying to model a complex design. Always scared to apply materials and texture when I am not certain about the Model being good enough first. I have spent a lot of time this last year texturing complex stuff. Shouldn’t be to difficult this time around to finish this Project.

2 Likes

Got me inspired as well :smiley: And hopefully it isn’t the last one.

Edit: By the way. Let’s bold or otherwise highlight our votes so that the counting will be easier later.