Update on our post-Kickstarter status

They should be happy to just play the game. End of story.

ā€œdelayedā€ā€¦ we’re talking about weeks, not months or years. I also get a forum badge but for me it’s more like a ā€œnice to have featureā€. I backed to play I:B in 2017, not to have a nice shiny forum badge in early January.

Ok, I’ll be the ass, since you are new.

I-Novae has basically never hit any deadline they themselves have set, stuff like, videos, annual updates, blog posts, forum updates and KS launch. So you see some of us have hoped that after a successful KS, things would change, sure Forum Badges and Dev Access is a no biggie, but it sets a precedent, one that a lot of us old-timers fear and uncomfortably deny.

1 Like

Maybe a bit off-topic but I’m actually curious how did your current employer/bosses reacted to the success of the kickstarter… and that you guys are/might be leaving :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is still January :wink:
So they haven’t delayed anything yet.
So there is no precedent.

Exactly what I was thinking.
The year is only just a week old :joy:

Yes of course, years of missing deadlines and a 3 week delay on Forum Badges and Dev Access…

Oh, things are going to change, at least we certainly hope to. But we’re still ramping up ( sorting out the contracts and determining who and when people start to work full time ) so practically at this very moment we’re still in the same position than we were 6 months ago.

5 Likes

Wonderful to hear that. : )

This is also the issue that the playing field has now changed and there are far more influential eyes watching the progress of this project. Although the press interest in Battlescape was less than some of us hoped, there will still quite a few important names that showed enthusiasm for the project and recommended backing the project to their subscribers. That’s also why some journalists explicitly recommended that their readers ā€œwait and seeā€.

It’s now important for I-Novae to reassure the people that put their reputations behind the game that they can successfully create the product that they have promised. Whilst everybody with any sense in the games industry expects delays, I think it is important that the prototype gets out to developer level backers by the end of this month. A delay that is longer than that would have to raise important questions about whether the team currently includes enough web platform development skills.

This shouldn’t be taken as criticism in any way, as far as we can tell everything is still fully on track. We’re getting direct communication from the dev team which is a good sign of a healthy project. It’s just flagging that this is a critical point in time for the project.

2 Likes

For mine I think it was mixed emotions.

@Crayfish @cybercritic As Flavien mentioned we’re dealing with a lot of administrative bullshit, it turns out having half your workforce in Europe really complicates things, and most of the team who will be working full-time is still in the process of quitting their job. As of this moment Flavien and I are the only 2 people working full-time and I just started 2 days ago.

9 Likes

I’m following I-Novae since 2008, I am very familiar with their work and progress. I’m not white-knighting… it’s just not fair to say ā€œdeadlines are in danger because it’s I-Novaeā€¦ā€ā€¦ they never had a FULL team which worked fulltime - now they have it. So just relax and see what will happen.

There will be enough time to blame someone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want to blame anyone and to be honest I don’t even want to engage in this type of conversation, yet I’m always the one ringing the alarm bells, why, maybe I care?

If you want to throw dates around, I have been active since around 2008 with probably more than a post a day in those ~8 years, yet have no idea who you are. :wink:

Lynch me if you must. :frowning:

3 Likes

Wrong thread for that, cyber.

3 Likes

I know who I’m voting for day 1. Obvious wolf reverse psychology right here.

5 Likes

Was hoping to get him into the game, we are still a few players short. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be picky, they don’t have a full team working full time and probably won’t. You can’t pay ten team members for two years with $300K. Flavien and Keith are obviously going to go full time, I don’t know who else is.

After just pulling my support from a game - guess which one - with never ending delays heaped upon delays with more than 100 million dollars and well over 200 employees and little to show for it other than a glitched out barely workable engine with a whopping 10~15 players, I am pretty wary of delays and results. That said I think Battlescape can pull a real space bunny out of a galactic hat if they can get even half of the 1000 players advertised. And I am sure once players start making videos it will help immensely with exposure; fan generated content is crucial for success. And of course consistent, regular updates. I just hope, once I-Novae starts gaining financial support, they don’t pull a Star Citizen and stab supporters in the back because we believed CIG’s BS about the whole Indie Game thing and not needing traditional streams of revenue and advertisement - Not interested in supporting an EA want to be company that spends a crap load of cash to hire high paying actors. Badges? Yeah…least of my concern.

3 Likes

I’m surprised you missed the opportunity to quote ā€œBadges? We don’t need no stinking badges!ā€
Edit: http://youtu.be/VqomZQMZQCQ

4 Likes

Lol! :laughing: