this is so everyone sees it because it’s doing way more than our efforts up till now
I’m focusing on ED and SC forums if that’s ok. But I have inc the reddit url now in my posts. So some natural cross traffic will happen now.
Smart!
(10charlkagjhfgjf)
But you could add the link to the planetary transitioning thread I’m active in over on the SC forums. Citing more info and discussion regarding this topic. ?
That would be helpful if you worked it into the conversation. Every little helps right.
Read through that. Might be better not to counter every single negative response in the thread and just pick your battles so people don’t correctly assume you’re an I:B fanboy
.
I don’t have the grammar skills so do the best I can. Sorry Lomsor.
Please feel free to write/re-write the posts for me here and I’ll copy them over.
I meant you might be subtler about your pro-I:B bias so they don’t view you as opposition
Grammar not much of an issue on the internets, I wouldn’t worry (but for the record “effect” /= “affect”). Errr… IBS
Sometimes I get those right, and other not. Is it on here or over there on SC.ED forums.
Okay I’ll try and keep that in mind. Thank you.
Here is my amateurish video about Inovae evolution
Feel free to spread it.
One reply from the SC forum that I’m not sure I understand:
We won’t see this because there aren’t computers good enough to run it, not with the fidelity and scale of the rest of the universe. With the difficulties around converting the engine to 64bit you’d need a supercomputer to be able to process it all. And you’d also either need to procedurally generate the entirety of every planet or handcraft every part of every planet (or some combination of both) before you launched the game. It’d take a decade to produce the 'Verse, by which time computers might have caught up in processing power but by which time the engine you built would be horribly obsolete.
It’s a nice idea but at the fidelity required for this game it’s not (currently) a reality. If you pull back the quality of graphics and detail then it becomes much easier to pull off.
Is he talking about Battlescape and saying that it’s impossible to make this game due to it would need too much processor-power or something? I mean, it’s not like people are actually playing it right now or anything…
I just don’t want to respond to it unless I understand what he means.
He has a bad understanding of everything, and how procedural generation even works. You don’t pre generate anything, the game loads it on the fly.
Lol’d.
Might be he hasn’t realised that’s what’s happening. Make it clear that “yes, that absolutely is most of what they’re promising already demonstrable with people actually playing it.”
EDIT: I’m not sure if he’s actually talking about SC or Infinity… He’s talking about the problem with “converting to 64-bit”. That was an issue CIG had with the Crytek engine iirc, but I don’t believe this has been much of an issue for INS, as it was handled a long while back.
If it can’t be done easily in Crytek, obviously it can’t be done at all with engines that were built from scratch precisely to solve just such a problem!
Yeah, that has been solved ages ago.
Yes, but I’m wondering if that’s his argument, or if he thinks he’s actually talking about SC…
I’ll post an answer over there is someone would like to type up a positive reply for me.
I already posted a comment, though if you have a better understanding/explanation of how procedural generation works you could always add to it as well
//edit, obviously you’re free to post your comment anyway 
Other than the phrase ‘procedural generation’, I only know its a lot of math. So no, I know almost nothing.
Could we get @INovaeFlavien to give a brief and concise explenation on how the procedural generation works (or give a link if you’ve already written it somewhere else in a blog or something)? If anything I’d find it interesting.
The post is: