Time to spread the word! (Evangelism Kit)

How it works: A pseudo-random number generator is used to feed inputs into a series of mathematical functions. These functions are used to produce 2D density maps maps (which are pseudo-random, due to the psuedo-random nature of the inputs), which are, in tern, used as height maps to generate terrain. There’s some complications involved in making sure everything fits on a sphere properly, but that’s the basic gist.

These types of calculations are literally what CPUs were designed to do, so they’re very efficient at it.

3 Likes

Do we have any ‘procedural generation’ tech videos.

No up to date ones except the view of the current planets in the prototype and engine videos.

I see, ok thanks.

@JonnyRedHed Note however that pseudo random literally means “looks random but isn’t really random”. Because if you give the pseudo random number generator the same seed, it will produce the exact same series of numbers, thus allowing you to recreate the exact same planet. It’s like a form of compression, allowing you to recreate large amounts of data from a smaller amount of data. And because you’re only generating part of the data and then forgetting about it once it’s no loner needed, you’re not worried about storage space.

Edit: Which might sound simple, but then you have to consider that to do that you need the right algorithm. And developing that right algorithm and getting it “just right” (quick but also of high quality) is not easy. It’s very, very hard.

3 Likes

@INovaeFlavien

Could you expand upon that comment you made in the KS comments section about the gas giants and floating factories in the cloud layers. What the player might experience being able to fly down into those layers to an outpost/factory. What kind of visual effects will be seen. How will the flight model react and so on.

Here’s a link to a time where I believe it’s hutch starts explaining their KS and what they would like to see the game become.

Whoever it is does a great job explaining the scope and plans for the project.

What’s the link url I need to use on SC forums.

" https://youtu.be/OzbMfUoeOy8?t=1432 "

Lol, discourse just wants to embed it.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I just signed up and pledged as well since this one turned up on my radar today.

My online gaming roots lie in Eve Online. Even though I stopped playing it about 4 or 5 years ago, I still frequent a community that had its roots in that game. It’s Failheap Challenge. People might see us as a bit toxic on first glance, but that’s just on first glance. :grinning:

Let’s hope this one takes off at full blast.

7 Likes

Quite a few of us have roots in Eve, you aren’t the only one :smile:

Welcome to the community we’re glad to have you!

I’m going to need some more info on anything planetary entry/exit related if possible. The SC thread needs to move along some. Its not much but worth a try. SC fans are all very keen on the this subject. And I:B has it done in a prototype, it makes for an interesting topic. Plus a scattering of videos and screen shots help.

Another german article (fairly big gaming magazine): http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Infinity-Battlescape-Spiel-56250/News/Kickstarter-Planetenkaempfe-1175352/

2 Likes

Wingman (decent Underground) sent me a message back on the Sc forums just now.

I asked about supporting you guys and he said this,

Sure have them reach out through our Kickstarter page.

WM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground

@INovaeFlavien @INovaeKeith

8 Likes

It seems the author neither tested the prototype nor have a good opinion of the overall I:B project. Or is more biased toward SC, I don’t know.

I swear … if Scott Manley goes so far and calls this vapoware (not that I think he would) … I don’t know what, but something drastic would need to happen to flush my system …

1 Like

I’m thinking positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

Wow, this RPS article is one of the most hostile i have ever seen so far.

1 Like

Sorry, I posted the wrong comment stupid Jonny. The actual SC forum comment I need help with is:

Like I said earlier, they need to get the stream of updates and info into higher gear. For example, they could/should do an in-depth update on the pvp mechanics: what are their current plans, are there any prototypes of it, etc., etc. The combat is going to be the meat and bones of battlescape, yet so far we’ve only really seen people fly around the planets and occasionally engage in impromptu dogfights.

I don’t really have the deeper knowledge of the game to reply to this. Could someone help me out and draft a response for me to post please. Thanks in advance.