Thoughts for the Kickstarter campaign

Yeah, but the 100 people who own one, a PC that can run it and I:B, and would actually pledge aren’t going to make a real difference I think. Look, I’d love the engine to support that as much as the next guy, but at the moment it is just not high on the list of important other things to do, IMHO.

4 Likes

I kind of agree, If the support for rendering the game in OR is there, why not make it an option even if its not ready. Of course, then it should be made clear that proper oculus support is not planned. People that have an OR probably also have the enthusiasm and money to pledge for dev/alpha/beta access.

No really? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think you are overestimating the importance of VR for a kickstarter success based on anecdotal evidence. Sure a fully working VR implementation would bring additional people in, but other time and resource consuming features would do the same.
For the majority of space game fans (the target demographic) VR implementation is currently probably not the deciding factor to pledge.

5 Likes

If its just a matter of adding an option to enable OR rendering, then it makes no sense not to do it in my opinion. Even if only 10 people pledge dev-access because of it, thats still 2500$ “for free”.

1 Like

But, on these hundreds of people who own an OVR, how many of them own a 980 or Titan ? Because that’s the absolute minimum to get a decent framerate in OVR mode.

3 Likes

My guess is quite a lot of them since the recommended OR hardware is a gtx 970.

1 Like

If you do decide to add VR support please look at other devices too like the Valve one and Vrvana.
Links:
http://store.steampowered.com/universe/vr
https://www.vrvana.com/
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/project-morpheus/

a waste of time. No one owns such VR devices.

2 Likes

I know plenty of people waiting for the Valve device. When I myself eventually acquire a VR device i can assure you it won’t be an oculus as I don’t want nothing to do with facebook.

Palmer Luckey sold out and lied.
“Oculus is going forward in a big way, but a way that still lets me focus on the community first, and not sell out to a large company.”
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=75767#p75767

You should have learned a lesson from this but instead you act like a shill.

3 Likes

I like this one, anything with Facebook engraved on it is out of question.

2 Likes

who cares.
you can take whatever you want.
but no one without an actual DK2 will pledge Infinity. It is the only device that can be used NOW.
and watch your words, I have not offended anyone.

Hold it guys. Provide solid statistics to how VR influenced Kick-starters/funding and, with the slightest chance, they may recalculate their whole financial model less then one day before they launch their Kickstarter.

We had this discussion before but no one was able to convince INS that it would be worth it.

5 Likes

@govny Honestly, reading your posts offended me. There’s a difference between being direct and being rude and assumptive.

To the off-topic at hand:
I own a DK1, DK2, and a 980 GTX. I don’t care about Battlescape not supporting VR, because the quality of tech is not there yet. Since Flavien mentioned he already has support for VR, it is a matter of waiting for the hardware to catch up and not sour the experience. I’d much rather see support for TrackIR, personally.

3 Likes

Yes. Support for TrackIR makes much more sense because it is more widespread and accessible (almost free if you DIY) and it gives you the same effect of immersion.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea: I understand why walking on planets won’t be a thing in Battlescape. However, what if you added the ability to get out of your ship and walk on planets in exploration mode? If you reach the modding funding tier and have the time for it, of course. It would show people like developers and modders what your engine is capable of and allow for some neat screenshots or videos. After all, there are people who like to make machinima videos and this would let them do that without requiring them to know much about modding.

I think you need to watch your words considering that people are tossing out opinions on what they like and you’ve been attempting to shut them down, from what I can insinuate, solely because you own an OR.

8 Likes

Just want to add to the VR

There are currently around 200k oculus rift owners,all looking for the next great VR experience.
In 4-6 months there will be another 500k rift owners minimum. Together with the Vive owners there will be several millions within a year. And ther majority will have a gtx970/290x or better machines.

You can work with that!

Dont say VR compability for a great new space mmo type game wont make sense in the kickstarter
planning. Atleast make it one of the first stretch goals. Its that important. Please dont miss this.

Having just read Flaviens excellent blog post from january on the state of space mmos (and problems with E:D), I just had to come on here and state the weight of VR compability too. Your points in that blog are REALLY good, and alot of people agree with you on what space mmos lack.

In a year VR in cockpit-based games (racing, flying, space) will be everything gamers will talk about and for a new space game with a cockpit its a must. That kind of experience is like made for VR. Since you said you had tried the DK1 in that post you must have tried E:D with a DK2 by now, and clearly know the potential.

It will also be the number 1 questions that people will ask about in the kickstarter comments. 100% garranteed.

1 Like

If we wildly exceed our current stretch goals, which top out at $1.5 million at the moment, then it’s a possibility. Building an entirely separate UI for VR headsets really is a major undertaking and adds risk to the project. If we had guaranteed buy-in from 500k or even 200k VR headset owners then I’d have no problem in saying “consider it done” but the reality of it is we have no good way of estimating what our VR headset installed base could be. We can always release support for VR as an add-on after the game ships.

10 Likes

I got ninjaed before I even posted.

2 Likes

I fully understand your situation. But just be aware of the incoming hoard asking about VR compability in a few hours when the KS goes live. It will be THE new thing in gaming for 2016. But i think you are fully aware of that fact.