Yes that’s what I’m hoping will be the case. The sheer scale is a massive contrast to NMS with its planets that look like they came out of Spore.
Guys. Debit card does not equal Credit card.
Using a Debit card is no different to using cash. Banks do not charge for using debit cards, and there is no credit so no ideological issue.
[…] popularly called ‘pinnen’ in the Netherlands.
It has been possible to pay for purchases in the Netherlands by debit card and PIN since 1987. Since then, the debit card has become the most important form of payment in the Netherlands besides cash.
http://www.dnb.nl/en/news/news-and-archive/dnbulletin-2012/dnb274102.jsp
Even in places where, on average, the amounts to be paid are small, the Dutch increasingly tend to use their debit card instead of cash; cases in point are bakeries, pubs, vending machines and the marketplace. Moreover, the use of cash has decreased among all sections of the population. Even though the elderly, the lower-educated and people from the south of the country are the groups which still rely relatively heavily on cash (see Chart 2), they, too, increasingly used debit cards in 2011.
I’m not saying anyone should get a debit card if they don’t want to. I’m just saying there is absolutely no reason not to if you’d like to use Kickstarter etc.
I don’t know how widespread the systems are but from what I know Debit card can mean two things…
a normal Savings Account = Debit Card (with no CC services attached)
Savings Account with CC services = Debit Card (you can use CC transactions, but there is no “credit”, you can only spend what is in your account)
Credit Card = $$$$$$$$ (you have to pay back what you spend)
AFAIK most banks will let you convert your physical card to the Debit CC system or you can setup a linked account with a new card. If they are good enough, they will not charge fees, or very little per month.
Selbie is right.
It is easy to identify though.
Does you card have one of these logos on it:
(That one may just be fancy and have “American Express” plastered over it)
You are good to go!
When your card on the other hand has on of these on it:
You won’t be able to pledge … yet.
You may consider asking someone who has one of the accepted ones to make the transaction for you or get one for this specific purpose and further use on the internet.
We were talking about Credit Cards.
Seems the issue about acceptance is resolved now though.
Out of curiosity, is there a legal or some other reason this can’t happen? I mean, is there something preventing you from taking money given by people on something like a bank account and then donating them to your kick-starter?
Or is it merely a problem that if the kick-starter fails it will be hard to give people their money back if you use that method? Because if that’s the case, then you could maybe say that the funds donated that way go to the kick-starter if it is successful but don’t get refunded if it is not.
EDIT: Or is it a thing with giving rewards being more difficult without the Kickstarter keeping track of them, requiring you to develop some sort of system of your own?
Even if you did it in an underhand way (by getting a friend to donate the money for example) it would lose you money as you would get taxed on it twice and you would be paying Kickstarter commission on money you already have. You’d have to be really desperate to consider it.
Good news, I DO have a creditcard.
Had to get one for a holiday once, and totally forgot I had it. 
Now, if someone can fast forward the clock for 6 days?
Alpha, here I come! 
In the end it doesn’t matter that much. I will probably end up getting a prepaid card just for this thing and then deactivate it after everything’s been done or let it expire.
I only hope that after the kickstarter we can also use paypal …
After the Kickstarter PayPal will be available.
What the hell, I’ve been pledging to Kickstarter projects for years with a Visa Electron card.
They switched from amazon pay to a new payment handler. Maybe that changed what cards they accept? I hope not.
They switched from Amazon to Stripe
Looking forward to backing the game, but don’t have a lot of spare money. I’m guessing once backed I could always increase over the next month.
How long does the KS last for ? and could I increase it a little more later in the KS campaign.
More or less 1 month typically. Depends on how they want to do it themselves.
And can I back once for X amount and then top it up?
Yes. You can change your pledge at any time until the KS ends. Only at the end of the KS will your card be charged.
What happens after the KS is another question. INS said that they would allow for “pledges” after a successful KS, they didn’t specify how exactly that would work though and if you could change your pledge from KS or if the post KS would be completely separate.
Did not want to make new thread but is related to the campaign:
Minor question for the Devs: For those that pledge the dev tier and will be able to play an early version sometime after the kickstarter: will you supply us a serversoftware for multiplayer, or do you provide servers? Or is multiplayer not planned for some time?
Btw: I would be okay if the first “dev” build has no menu for keybindings or serveradress and we would have to modify a xml file. 
Off the top of my head, without finding references.
Current prototype is multi-player (only maybe) and the Developer Access tier will get that prototype a few months after a successful KS, server software will also be released a few months later and they have official server/s.