Abandon ship! Abandon ship! …Where’s the alarm… Awooga! Awooga!
The Bartender – no one knew him by any other name – was an immaculate man. He spent any time he had between serving customers polishing. Polishing the steel gray bar, polishing the glasses, polishing the large mirror behind the bar around the shelves filled with a collection of alcohol worthy of a museum.
Polishing a very special flask of Ol’Janx Spirit so that it did not distract from the shine of his bar, he eyed a man drinking vodka and tonic at the far end of the bar. His impressive brow furrowed as he wondered what a civilian was doing on board, but interrogation wasn’t his job. Setting the flask back in its right place on one of the shelves, he pulled out a can of raw squid and slurped one down, delightfully smacking his lips behind his steel gray full beard. Squid was the perfect snack.
Awakened by the rumble of the explosion I head outside
What the heck happened here?
I see the explosions and start flailing and running around, screaming, banging on each crew quarters door
WE’RE BEING ATTACKED! EVERYONE WAKE UP! WE! ARE! UNDER! ATTACK!!!
After I finish my flailing, I grab a bucket and try to put out the smaller fires, before they can spread
The shipboard intercom crackled to life and a tone rang out, indicating a shipwide announcement. The panicked crew all stopped what they were doing and listened to the commander of the night watch, formerly third in command of the boat announce that Captain Flavien and first officer LucasFIN had both been killed along with all of the most experienced bridge officers by agents of the enemy who had infiltrated the boat. Furthermore, the agents had sabotaged the engines and damaged the RADAR array, leaving the ship blind and stranded in hostile waters.
The commander took a long breath before continuing his announcement; “This boat is the most advanced secret weapon of our navy, and as such our own navy will be attempting to destroy us to prevent her falling into enemy hands. We must catch the traitors before we are destroyed!”
Current System Status
- Weapons Locker Damaged
- Propulsion Damaged
- Critical failure tonight
- Critical failure of of the propulsion will render the boat permanently stationary. Every night the boat is stationary, chance of attack will increase.
- Generator Damaged
- SONAR Damaged
- RADAR Damaged
- Combat Information Center (CIC) Damaged
- Anti Air Artillery (AAA) Damaged
- Medical Bay Damaged
- Crew Quarters Damaged
- Scout Helicopter Damaged
Everyone should have received a role message, please contact me if you have not.
It Is Now Daytime
Cast your votes for who to lynch for the death of the bridge crew.
Also cast your vote for which system to repair. Every system voted for will be repaired. All players who voted for that system will gain control of it. Controllers will hold a private majority vote for how to use the system
Barney hits the snooze alarm from the ships AI at the bar. “Too much alcohol consumption” it says. “Bullshit,” Barney mumbles as he grabs his 4th drink in an hour from the bartender.
“The crew ever tell ya you smell like shit?” He asked the bartender. “I swear you smell like the bait we use for swordies.”
The alarm starts again “Oh frack this thing!”
Ark
And now their watch has ended…
First of all, because lol-RP, Bar Tenders hear things. If it isn’t him, Xamino surely knows who dunnit!
Xamino
Also, we should carefully consider how we split the repair up this game. Last game we saw that we were woefully out maneuvered by the wolves at every turn because they knew everything. We MUST find a way to isolate things such that wolves will not have a majority vote over any system, and that even if they know anything they can not act upon any information they might receive.
With this in mind I see two options:
- We put a large majority of players into one, maybe two, systems per day. Personally, I think we should all be in the same systems thus ensuring that while we wont have all the systems repaired at any given time, they will all be under human control. Also to be noted that this was suggested during the last game this repair system was used, but was not taken up.
- “The only way to win is not to play”. We take our chances and leave things damaged for as long as we dare, and then repair what we can when we need to do so. This potentially leaves us with no special powers to fight the wolves with excepting our wits, but it also means they (probably) won’t get any either. And if they sneak a repair in at the last second anyways, we have them red handed.
As you all know, last time out @mattk50 played me (and many of you) for a fool with ease using this repair system. Let us think carefully about this from day 1 so as not to repeat the same mistake again.
Thoughts?
Agreed. However we do split up the subsystems it must be different than last time. As a wolf in that game, we had a very good idea of what was going on in a variety of different subsystems which provided us with tons of intel.
In my opinion we have to go with only the critical damaged subsystems(except on this day 1, where we also need the medbay).
On one hand, if we only repair the critically damaged systems - everyone has access to the same information and votes on the subsystem and we will heavily outnumber the wolves. The first system to repair then would be propulsion whatever it may do. If I had to guess it would keep us moving and lower our chances of having a subsystem damaged or critically damaged. Losing propulsion would probably suck.
On the other hand, if we had to choose 2 subsystems today, the first would be propulsion(obviously) and the second I would argue for is the med bay. I have a hunch revives probably won’t be possible but role scanning is something we could utilize after day 1 to check lynches. I think it would be beneficial to repair the medbay as soon as possible, with as many people as possible to lessen the arguments(not that there should be many) from the wolves. If they did anything but agree with humans it would quickly become obvious who they are.
Damn the no edits rule. I have only have myself(and Lucas and Matt and Ark) to blame.
The numbered list didn’t follow, but you guys can count.
@martindevans Is the 17th player a mystery player? Or are we only playing with 16 people people.
Right now we’re only playing with 16 people - I’m hoping I can find a 17th player before the first day ends.
Emperor Falkon catches xamino snarfing a squid whole, and has to quickly bury his fist in his mouth to prevent himself gagging. He mutters something about beating the bartender senseless if he catches him doing it again, but then goes back waiting for the crew to assemble
Vote is more or less for the RP. I’ll probably drop it later on.
It’s fairly late for me now, so I’ll try and chip in with some more musings tomorrow.
I’m kind of waiting for @TerranAmbass to make some RP so I can RP my vote on him… nah, I’ll just go ahead. 
{Oh, look what we have here}
The tiny security drone hovered around Terran’s bed, obviously occupied by an otherwise blissfully comatose individual.
{There is nooooo way that guy is innocent.}
Anti Air Artillery Is the most important thing in the world. We got radar? Wooop de fucking do, if we can’t shoot down the planes. No radar? At least we can put up a fight instead of just being dead weight in the water.
No vote on a person yet… I’m watching you sky… I’m watching you…
States the angry Seaman Kreydis.
heh, you know the first thing I said was I was going to practice better time management skills this time around, however, I’ve already spent too much time today thinking about when is the best time to post on day one. Too early and it looks bad, too late and it looks bad. Last time out I got jumped right our the gate for a joke vote. I’m just going to pull the trigger and vote for @Jackbootedthug because I need to get it over with and I have absolutely no idea who he is. I got nothing against you Jack, I’m just looking after my own sanity.
I’m unsure what system to vote for right now, but Propulsion seems to be a fairly obvious priority right now. If a plan comes together I’ll fall in line.
Your thoughts on the one presented? I’m troubled that you seem content to just “go with the flow” instead of attempting to come to a solution. Constructive discussion is the key to a human victory after all…
Not playing the game is not an option in my opinion.
This might save as from getting played by the enemy but they simply will kill as one by one in the night.
Information is key and our only source of information at the moment are the decisions each of us makes when choosing a system and the discussions about it.
Playing it safe and only repairing one or two systems sounds nice, but i fear that will leave us blind too.
I think we have to expect that at least one system gets damaged per night. Most likely more.
We are 16 survivors at the moment.
That would give us the option to split in teams of 4 and repair 4 systems.
Or 3 systems with 5 people in it.
I would go for:
Propulsion - because of the critical failure
Medical Bay - I think we all agree on that
SONAR
RADAR
The last two again because: Information is key.
If something hits us we need to know if it came from the inside or from the outside.
Also I guess that the Sonar could also be used to listen what happens on the ship…
You probably haven’t read through the last subsystem type game we had a few months ago. We did something similar and assigned who votes for what based on RNGesus.
It went terribly(for the humans) and the wolves were able to gain at least a vote(or control) on most of the systems which led to them having a lot more information than the humans. It really didn’t work out and led to the humans losing that game.
Like you said, the information is the decisions we make. If we can reliably keep track of the votes and who does what by minimizing the # of subsystems then it becomes easier to track any outliers. Increasing the number of subsystems only allows the wolves a greater chance of controlling a subsystem by getting a lucky lynch(or killing the remaining member at night)
Propulsion seems like a good choice until we come up with a better way to divide the votes, if we do. Dont want it critically damaged.
I agree that this game we probably just want to go all in on a single subsystem, to ensure a human majority on every system. it really depends what martin has in mind, and whether there are any non-subsystem roles at all.
Honestly now that i consider it, if we all go in on one or two subsystems every day, and the wolves have no roles, we can pretty solidly assure we have a human majority on everything. If we also make sure all the info is published onto the main thread it becomes a matter of using the subsystems every day to the benefit of humanity, and then we’ll win.
Well I think last time, there were no roles at all except for the sub-systems? I mean, I don’t want to assume that right away this game since martin is sneaky and might have changed something, but yeah its probably not a super-dangerous assumption.
Anyways, yeah that’s the idea. We all pile on one subsystem (or maybe two, but honestly like, were just gambling at that point, which we might have to do idk) then we are guaranteed a human majority for the duration of the game. Of course, as Nos Fi says, we will take damage to the ship presumably during the night or something like with the asteroids. It seems however that “both sides” are attacking us, so… maybe this can be influenced somehow with the radar or communications array. Something to be wary of. Last time, it was just rocks flying at us, now people are actively trying to destroy the ship. And by people, I mean Martin.
Anyways… heres what I think the systems might do.
Weapons Locker - Damaged - Contains some sort of weapon. Possibly a nightly stun, OR one time use insta-kill.
Propulsion - Damaged - This is almost certainly a direct port from the last game. Reduces the chance of evading incoming fire by a certain percentage.
Generator - Damaged - Possibly a direct port of the “power grid” from the last game. A system blocker. I.e. you can shut down propulsion or the radar or whatever for one night.
SONAR - Damaged - ??? Evade chance for submarines or underwater obstacles like… i dont know reefs or some shit. Any guesses?
RADAR - Damaged - Communications or evade chance?
Combat Information Center (CIC) - Damaged - Im guessing this system can communicate with friendly units. Or enemy ones, depending on who owns it i guess. Bad things will probably happen to the side that doesnt control this.
Anti Air Artillery (AAA) - Damaged - Presumably there will be aerial strike craft attempting to shoot at us. Perhaps an evade chance increase.
Medical Bay - Damaged - Last game this could be used to dissect and revive. It probably does something similar this game.
Crew Quarters - Damaged - Last game the crew quarters was a nightly report on one person of that systems choosing. Anyone the target interacted with would show up in a list.
Scout Helicopter - Damaged - I dont know. MEDIVAC? Evade chance? Escape route? Supply drops? Why would we need a scout helicopter?