The Wolf Game - ISS Relatively Fast - Psychopaths Win!

You have a point. Even RNG results can be lied. The order in which we joined the game is random and public and was done before we knew our alignments.

So anyone for reverse order of the signup to get a random result AND mix up a possible bias from Noble?

Alright, everyone in order of signup can contribute a 16bit binary number, we can then take each bit in order, concatenate a binary string, then conver it to ASCII and then run it through a SHA generator. Once we have a SHA string we convert it to base 16 and draw 17 numbers, numbers drawn correspond to your original signup position. Or if you want it simple everyone contributes a single word and we work from there.

I think that is random enough.

/edit
Even simpler, we take one of martin’s sentences and SHA that.

surely this is just the same as using martin’s original order? furthermore which sentence would we pick?

Though the rest of the SHA idea is a good one.

1 Like

We can trust @martindevans not to be biased, so let him pick a sentence.

Or how about the title of this thread?

yes but, noble had already suggested using martin’s list which i has wolves randomly distributed anyways. Using anything from martin we’re back to square 1, the only problem with noble’s suggestion is that he might see that the existing order is beneficial and go for that. How do we know the title or whatever sentence picked hasn’t already been tested and seen to be favorable to whoever or whatever. (also im not sure martin would pick a sentence for us)

so if we’re going to do this we should go with your original everyone contributes a string method

Because statistically speaking if we use the title of this thread or even ever single word that has been said in this thread the probability of hitting a sequence that you want in a SHA hash is very improbable.

Drawing 17 numbers makes our ā€œhashā€ 16^17 strong with a possible 295 147 905 179 352 825 856 combinations and we will probably need to draw more as we might draw an existing person’s position. Of course it’s not that simple, but it’s generally good indicator.

/edit
Problem with asking everyone for a sequence is that they actually have to participate, it will take a while and we might never agree.

How about taking ā€œ295 147 905 179 352 825 856ā€ as the seed?

I fear we will not be able to coordinate this across all 17 players in time (remember no day extensions!)

If it makes you guys feel more confident in the plan we can reverse the order of sign up, and as cybercritic suggested earlier we can remove a player from the power generator, but instead of putting them on the med bay as cybercritic said we should have them take the place of whomever we decide to lynch today. As proof that I am not trying to place myself somewhere strategic I volunteer to be that person.

So my new plan is;

Lynch Compensator
11. NobleBrutus

Medical Bay

  1. LyskTrevise - Nominal Systems Announcer
  2. Cise - Chief Political Officer
  3. The_Sane - Chief Steward
  4. LucasFIN - Chief Cartographer

Cryogenic Storage
5. TerranAmbass - Hull Repair Specialist
6. Topperfalkon - Emperor
7. Arkenbrien - Kitchen Assistant

Point Defense Array
8. Mattk50
9. cybercritic - Software Engineer
10. Xamino - Cryogenic Technician

Security Grid
12. Enginish
13. Skyentist - Astrophysicist/Navigator
14. Pendrokar - Royal Guard

Power Grid
15. Lomsor - Chief Elevator Technician
16. King_Cosmos
17. Krishna

Your calculating without taking into account the goal if someone was really trying to fix it, you need to remember whether someone is last in a group and first in a group doesn’t constitute a different arrangement, there’s a lot of possible orders generated but not nearly as many groupings of individuals if order is disregarded. the math on finding 17 people with 5 groups gets irritating though so i think i’ll pass on the exact number of possible permutations…

Wait, are we in the wolf game thread? Oh right, we are…

It will be more difficult to participate, but we’re probably going to have the same issue no matter what we do, we only have 5 people voting in line with noble’s list so far. You edited your post to include the suggestion of taking that number for the seed fairly quickly though. Did you have time to check it? bit less suspicious, i suppose.

edit: or take the following string and use it to generate a number between 1 and 20 that will determine which sentence of martin’s OP to use to generate a string: rghjiowruehg234uhr82347ghtiuh3b45guy354h8tg4358g415y

edit edit: or just follow noble’s new plan. Or, we could follow his plan, AND lynch him just to be sure. We gotta lynch someone right?

Wow that is very… Noble of you :smiley:

5 Likes

So I haven’t checked, but has everyone already posted today? Then we can just use the first word from each of their first posts. That should provide enough randomness. Even if someone went in and edited their post to change it the change can be caught by using the forums revision history.

I’ll scan through the posts so far, give me a few minutes.

1 Like

You can’t lynch the lynch compensator! Or well… you can but I don’t advise it.

Sometimes you can read a book by it’s cover

I can go with this, arrange it alphabetically and the system list reverse alphabetically or something to that effect.

.

@mattk50, my point is that you need millions, billions, trillions of tries to fix a cryptographic function like SHA.

Anyway I took your string and generated a SHA384 key ( www.sha1-online.com ), because I don’t think anybody in the world is capable of breaking that to get the result that they want and here is the result.

from:
rghjiowruehg234uhr82347ghtiuh3b45guy354h8tg4358g415y
sha384: 10e8d37c04edd913f6b715d1898c6dd05582073d6223242889723ed73f744d077b345e7d33c29945daa335aff47c0e42

Converting that into a draw you get.
1-1
0-0
e-14
8-8
d-13
3-3
7-7
c-12
0-0
4-4
e-14
d-13
d-13
9-9
1-1
3-3
f-15
6-6
b-11
7-7
1-1
5-5
d-13
1-1
8-8
9-9
8-8
c6dd05582073d6223242889723ed73f744d077b345e7d33c29945daa335aff47c0e42

Good enough?

to be clear i wasn’t implying that someone would try to break the crypto. i was saying they’d try strings till they get a result they want with the wolves in control of whatever subsystem they wanted, that wouldn’t take nearly as many tries, and would be very doable within minutes, no matter what your using there’s still only 17 people and the limited number of subsystems.

i wasnt entirely straight faced with my suggestion to use that string but i am indeed fine with that, lol. it was a few moments of keyboard mashing.

Are we still in agreement to go after the 5 most important systems first, or…?

im sure lomsor is loving this

1 Like

All right, this should be correct:

LyskTrevise   | Lysk
Cise          | Walking         
The_Sane      | Boom            
LucasFIN      | Thanks          
TerranAmbass  | I               
Topperfalkon  | Emperor         
Arkenbrien    | Sooooo          
Mattk50       | Matt            
cybercritic   | I               
Xamino        | This            
NobleBrutus   | ZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz 
Enginish      | Can             
Skyentist     | Larc            
Pendrokar     | What           
Lomsor        | As              
King_Cosmos   | Hey             
Krishna       | Yeah      

String in player registration order:

LyskWalkingBoomThanksIEmperorSoooooMattIThisZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzCanLarcWhatAsHeyYeah

Alphabetical:

AsBoomCanEmperorHeyIILarcLyskMattSoooooThanksThisWalkingWhatYeahZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz

Disclaimer: Word is defined as sequence of letters. No numbers or marks around it. Quotations of previous posts do not count. Capitalization has not been changed. I do not guarantee correctness but I did try.

EDIT: sha256sum from my Arch system:

Player order: 19753282318b2925777b5a14e77b515e0862d1fddbf1a62c16bc0b1de0774c9d
Alphabetical: 24b482f3ec4964217e0c7b922fdeaee4957b9756082688ae3728d3bca8378777

I put my left ball on it that you can’t break it in minutes by picking sentences from this thread :smile:

Sorry, I did go back and edit my first post just to throw you since you’re voting for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Technically it was ā€˜I’ if it makes a difference.

Thanks for pointing out, I forgot to check the edit. However as unedited posts are in there it doesn’t matter. Or should I go back and change that?

I have no real idea about any of this SHA stuff so I think you can probably trust me and it doesn’t matter.

Well, since you asked… :smiley: That exam I mentioned was actually IT-Security and hashes were a part of it. SHA256 is actually still considered cryptographically secure at this point in time, more so than MD5. What this means for us in this context is that any small change will result in a wildly different result. So everyone would have to cooperate to control the output of the hash, and even then it would be via trial and error. The chance of finding a hash that gives for example the wolves a desired output is pretty hard – they’d have to be extremely lucky.

So it should be safe in either case. I am going back and getting the original words, I’ll edit that in once I’m done. Then we can choose any one of them by majority.

Lynch votes


System votes


And can I just reiterate…

4 Likes