The Wolf Game - ISS Relatively Fast - Psychopaths Win!

Remember that we still don’t know if people controlling one subsystem can later take control of other systems. So perhaps we should aim to cover a maximum number of systems just in case but without lone controllers. 7 pairs and one 3 man team would do it.

A RNG won’t bring us any information about voting block behavior, but at least it will keep the psychos from selecting all the good ones. So I’m on the fence with that one.

Yes we do


I wouldn’t discount environmental control, I’m fairly sure life support would come under this. It is not yet clear if all repaired systems will give an active usable ability, or if some of them are more passive in nature. As it stands I can see potential for almost all of the systems to be quite deadly in some way, but these are some theories as to what does what.

Power grid - shut down power to another system, disabling it.
Security Grid - analogous to the Guardian role, protect a player from death.
Cryogenic storage - Disable a player temporarily

Too difficult to even guess at most other systems. For all we know even Crew Quarters could be incredibly useful to control.

1 Like

Ah thanks. I should read these things more carefully :slight_smile: Ok that means we can indeed have bigger teams if we want to.

Edit: I missed that post from martin completely.

Confirming as role-less human.
Pairs are the best best, I think. Since deciding on the use of a system requires a majority vote (right @martindevans?), we have 2 scenarios. I’m working under the assumption that there are 4 wolves.

  1. We vote in triplets, with 2 quadruplets. We repair 5 systems. A triplet will fall to the wolves if 2 wolves are part of that voting bloc, and a quadruplet will fall only if 3 wolves are a part of it. A maximum of 2 cells can be taken over by the wolves. The minimum number of human-owned systems is 3. The maximum is 5.

  2. We vote in doubles, with one triplet. We repair 8 systems. A double cell will fall if it has 2 wolves, and will be neutral if it has only one. A maximum of 2 cells can be taken over by the wolves. The minimum number of human owned systems is 4. The maximum is 6.

In case 2, if a system is used maliciously it can immediately be deduced that both of the owners of that system are wolves. In case 1, only 2 of the 3 owners are wolves, so guessing will be required.

Also…

[quote=“Skyentist, post:77, topic:710”]
Krishna, Ark, TA, Enginish, Lysk, Cybercritic all have 1 vote from various people
[/quote] I have 2 votes on me :scream:

EDIT: People voting for medbay, y’all should probably change your votes. Power Grid, Cryo Storage, and the Integrity Field are all owned by only one person each and we need at least 2 on every system.

DOUBLE EDIT: I totally forgot about people dying. If the doubles method is pursued, the wolves can just kill the human blocking control of their system. …Obviously, we need to think carefully about our split.

1 Like

Correct. Each night all players in control of a system should submit a vote for what to do with the system. I will count up all submitted votes and then carry out whatever action is voted for. If a player does not submit a vote then no vote is counted for them (i.e. if you want to vote for inaction you must explicitly vote for inaction).

You’ll note @Cise originally asked that question after your post.

The question is, if every system voted for gets repaired, will some systems get repaired more if they get more votes?

A lot of interesting developments since my laptop ran out of batteries.

I’ll edit when I’ve reviewed the material.

Yes, that was my reasoning behind the original suggestion too.

Though this is assuming that it’s advantageous for the humans to be using every system. It’s also quite risky if the humans choose poorly with their system and make themselves targets as a result (I’m thinking about some of the things in the last game here)

Potentially a problem, but we can, in theory, shift votes around to take control back when we need to. It may also highlight potential wolves that way, so they’d be wary about doing it. Their safest option would be to pick a target out of the biggest herd, currently the Medbay. Depends on how clever they’re playing really.

EDIT: @martindevans please can you confirm the time of day’s end?

I think most people haven’t voted for a lynch target yet, just what system to repair.

Just to clarify - we “vote” on what system we want to repair, and during the night phase, the people who voted for the what system they wanted to repair get to decide what to do with that system with other people that voted for that system. Right?

In any case, for the reasons that Enginish gave, spreading out seems to be a good idea. That way, regardless whether or not the systems are related to the roles, we can all keep each other honest. For that reason I am going to change my vote from the MedBay to the Security Grid with Cise.

Just to point out that you are now the third person on the Security Grid with Cise and I (Cise having voted for it after I did). I have no objections to this, but if your intention was to form a “pair” then there are now three on this block.

On the matter of grouping, I do think it is a good idea to spread out, but I think groups of three might be better, or if you want symmetry then groups of four. The reason for this is down to the fact that, as Enginish said, wolves can simply kill the human standing in their way. On the other side of that, they can kill a player in a pair and then frame the survivor. I think three or four is a better way to go about this, although it takes longer to repair all of the systems.

Moving on, I think we can be relatively sure that if there are any roles, at the very least they interact with the subsystems as someone else pointed out, but more probably in my opinion the roles are the subsystems as Sane first suggested. There does seem to be an overwhelming majority of roleless players, although I suppose we can’t be sure at this stage if any of you bastards are lying to me.

As for the lynch vote today, I am keeping my vote on Xamino until he responds. So far we are yet to hear from Xamino and Krishna, and either of those two at this point seem as good as anybody else. If they arent wolves, then at least the wolves are talking this time, which is good for us humies.

EDIT: it has also just occurred to me that if there are no roles attached to a player at the start of the game, then that also means that there may not be any way for any player to be confirmed as a human. I suggest to you all that this was the purpose behind the event/role idea of Martin’s, but lets not read into the GM actions too much :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure I agree. I don’t really think larger groups solve the problem of wolf impact.

If I were a wolf, I’d ensure that the wolves got as many systems as possible in the first night, but they wont join whichever group has 3 crew in it. They kill one of the 3 crew group, pinning the blame on the survivors, even though it’s clearly pointless for it to have been either of them. Meanwhile, they play their system as if they were a human to avoid suspicion.

Then again, I’ve also realised that if we lynch someone tonight, there’ll be 16 people, which means 8 pairs…

Frankly, it’s irrelevant. I think it’s going to be pretty hard to work out who the wolves are on Day 2 without having the knowledge of what the systems do, because sensible wolves will be keeping their heads down. The best way to flush them out is to control as many systems as possible.

Anyway, sleep beckons…

I stand by what I said earlier, three threes and two fours.

I believe that in grouping players it would be safest to do so by grouping adjacent players in the sign up list.While we might get info by letting people pick, we also have a higher risk of wolves infiltrating our most important systems.

Using order of sign up and order of system listing for unbias grouping gives:

Power Grid

  1. LyskTrevise - Nominal Systems Announcer
  2. Cise - Chief Political Officer
  3. The_Sane - Chief Steward
  4. LucasFIN - Chief Cartographer

Security Grid
5. TerranAmbass - Hull Repair Specialist
6. Topperfalkon - Emperor
7. Arkenbrien - Kitchen Assistant

Point Defense Array
8. Mattk50
9. cybercritic - Software Engineer
10. Xamino - Cryogenic Technician

Cryogenic Storage
11. NobleBrutus
12. Enginish
13. Skyentist - Astrophysicist/Navigator

Medical Bay
14. Pendrokar - Royal Guard
15. Lomsor - Chief Elevator Technician
16. King_Cosmos
17. Krishna

This is my suggestion.

Cryogenic Storage

As Noble lay on his bed gazing up at the bunk above another name drifted into his mind… Krishna… he felt a pang of anger… who could this be? However it is, there was clearly no love lost between them.

2 Likes

If at least one person votes for a system it is entirely repaired in one night. Even if the system was critically damaged it is still fully repaired after one night with just a single person repairing it.

The day will end when the day start post is 48 hours old. That means there are currently 38 hours remaining. As per the discussion after the last game there will be no extensions.

Sort of. You vote for systems, and then spend a night repairing the system you voted for. After that the group of people who repaired the system are joint in control and can use the system through votes on a private thread. Most systems can be used once a night, some are a little different.

If a system is damaged then you lose your control on the system and a new group of players will repair the system and then they will have control (after one night repairing).

1 Like

I’m starting to get the feeling that the psychopaths/prisoners have a dual role.

I’m suspecting they can either make a kill at night or increase the damage level on a system.

Or maybe both?

Are you suggesting a third party?

Not that I’d be surprised…

EDIT: Wait, misunderstood what that slash meant. NM. Still.

Wow, wake up and there is 45+ posts waiting.

I seem to agree with the notion that the systems should be manned by more than one person and picking the groups from the signup order is a good idea to prevent intentional psychopath groupings. However I don’t think that the systems should be manned by an even number of people, voting deadlock is very possible even with two humans voting.

Also there is some concern that if all the people manning a specific system die, then that system wont be usable anymore, so important systems should be manned by more of us.

Another point is that if we only repair 2-3 systems instead of 5-6, then on the next repair vote more of us will be present in each working system and have control over it. You can’t gain access to an already repaired system, so going wide on repairs is probably a bad idea. If we repair everything, nobody will be able to gain access to any new system.

How about we pick 3 systems and repair them with 5-5-7 people in the groups, I think the med-bay should have the 7 member group, that should also ensure that the psychopaths are not in control of any system?

/edit
I’ll do my part too @NobleBrutus, consider the 3 system option…

Point Defense Array

This will only work if all players agree in time. But I will do my part by changing to the Power Grid.

Oh and if it wasn’t apparent from my Necromancer joke, I’m role less too. Just to further confirm Lysk’s hypothesis.

Power Grid

Yeah seriously… calm down people:)

My take on it is that the systems act as roles, just as trevise pointed out. IF there are personal roles, I would think they are something like “you get two votes when controlling system x” or something like that. But this is only speculation. I am role-less as per usual:(

I have no idea who to lynch but I guess Topperfalkon is a good choice, until he removes the vote on me ofcourse.

About the systems I’m thinking of Cryogenic Storage or Point Defence Array. Simply cause both of them I have no idea what type of role they would grant me. Any ideas?

Oh, and awesome map @LucasFin! I was planning not to create any songs for this game as I really do not have much time, but with a map as nice as this I guess I’ll have to rethink.

1 Like

Im worried that if we all go “nope i have no role” then if someone does have a role they will stand out and become a target… but i have no role as well… so perhaps the only subsystems hypothesis is correct.

Noble has a very solid plan, it will allow us to try to minimize wolf influence while also trying to spread accross critical systems and more over the days. It makes sense, i can’t find any flaws in the reason, what i posted earlier about the system is mostly invalid since the rules have been changed. So, Point Defense Array.

Im going to read over the posts so far and see if i find anyone particularly suspicious and make my vote soonish, if i notice anything. Though a few people still havent posted. -.-

We can try and use vote pressure to help things along… @Krishna I’ll remove my vote on you as soon as you go for the Medical Bay.

Edit:

5-5-7 would be good for the reasons you said, however, I think repairing half the systems (5) is optimum given we should try and get as much information as possible while the ship is in reasonable condition and systems will get damaged over time. This way we can cover all the systems across two days instead of four.

1 Like