The Wolf Game - Day 7 Vampires Win!

Enginish was the only remaining vampire when he bit me and xamino was killed. If you killed him before you killed Krishna, there shouldn’t have been any vampires left. You might have still won.

@martindevans Surely if there are any bitten humans, the tie will eventually be broken, even if it is death through old age. As I said, the threat of any eventual “accident” leading to the death of a bitten human, who would then turn, suggests that a stalemate is practically impossible.

Also, “peace” would naturally entail being the vampires’ food source for the rest of your living life, what with the insatiable need to drink blood.

Surely the whole point of a wolf game is for one of the non-human sides to outwit the numerically superior humans and set up a condition for victory, I think permitting a draw through stalemate is a bit of a cop out. It wouldn’t work with any of the wolves still alive. Then again, obviously I’m biased here.

Valeriu rushed over to Noble and began to whisper in what was left of his right ear.

“Don’t give up. Antamera speaks to all of us. And it isn’t your time to go yet. You are no use to Antamera without your soul. Be the tool Antamera wants for longer!”

Noble groaned and shook violently, and very slowly, gritting his teeth all the while, extended his left arm to take hold of his dagger.

“Lets get him” Noble whispered through his charred mouth, and set off at a painfully slow crawl towards the Vampire hideout at the buried shack.

At very least Enginish would put him out of his misery, and if somehow he did succeed then he would have one less competition when he came back himself…

Enginish

… the only person who could turn him back now would be the lyrical voice of the ex-priest Xamino… strangely despite Xamino’s hard words he showed little enthusiasm for violence, this fact alone was the only doubt Noble still harboured in this course of action.

Brother Xamino shook his head. “Did you forget that I follow the Serpent God? Not the pink fluffy bunny god, no.” He smiled, his teeth formed much like a snake’s now. “I might have little enthusiasm for violence, but if I must, and if my God commands me, I’ll take it upon my very self to bring the final justice to you!”

NobleBrutus

EDIT:

Wolves? Anyone seen this wonderful movie too? :smiley:

Craning upwards at the figure of Xamino, Noble let out a long rusty breath, he had made it but 50 yards from where Valeriu had encouraged him.

He could barely remember what Valeriu had said, whatever it was, it didn’t seem so important now. Noble’s head swam - he’d tried… he’d really tried… As the blackness closed in he got a feeling he would not be waking up in Eliseni again this time.

NobleBrutus

[Was worth a shot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ]

2 Likes

Turns out he was wrong.

Noble’s eyes opened once more… why was he here?.. where was he going?.. Noble’s head hurt… he looked at his left hand… his knife was there… from the trail of blood behind him it looked like he’d been anxious to get somewhere…

With another large groan Noble continued, this time unknowingly, towards the Vampire’s hideout, stars fluttering across his vision.

1 Like

Florean, noticing Noble coming towards him, opened his mouth in surprise. On noticing the knife Noble gripped in his charred hand, his surprise flashed into anger. His eyes darkened, and he appeared to grow taller. He roared at Noble, a throaty, primal thing that exposed a mouth full of long, pointed teeth.
“Oath breaker! You would turn your back on what has been given to you?”
Florean inhaled, and seemed to take all of the street’s warmth inside of him.
“You think that your god has no use for you without a soul? Look at that book you clutch so desperately!”
He exhaled, and his shoulders slumped.
"To outside appearances, it’s an amalgam of leather, paper, and ink. But the words of your god, Antamera, are etched into it, which give it life and purpose.
"It has no soul, and yet it has a soul. Men, touched by the light of your god, shaped it and gave it a meaning beyond the sum of its parts.
“As long as you have breath in your body, you have a use in the eyes of your god. You, like the words in your book, can reach far beyond the lifetime of a single man, and across distances that mere men cannot fathom.”
“A soul is just a purpose. Your death and resurrection cannot take it away from you. Like your book, you are marked by the words of the great serpent god… Words not easily washed away by blood.”

2 Likes

… such… a… good… argument…

Noble’s knife clattered to the ground.

As he fell towards Enginish, it was with a smile… perhaps he was not forsaken.

For the third time in almost as many posts, Noble passed out - he was more than exhausted, hopefully this one would be more final than the last two.

Enginish caught the unconscious priest as he fell, for a second or two he smiled at the rest of the group… then with a single smooth motion he snapped the mans neck. “My brothers and sisters”, announced Enginish, “our time has finally come to cast off our disguises and make this village our own!”

Xamino and Topperfalkon leapt forwards and tore away at Lomsor and King_Cosmos with their fangs - enjoying their first drink of blood from another human. Beginning a the legend of vampires in Transylvania that would persist for hundreds of years…

Vampires Win!

Post Mortem

As you know I change up these games every time I run them to keep things a little interesting. Most games I include a few roles that are a little experimental, the highest profile one this time was obviously the vampire team. I think they probably turned out a little overpowered, but only because the humans were so thoroughly duped by LucasFIN who had them doing exactly what he wanted the entire game! Someone suggested that the vampire team would have been balanced by not getting another vampire lord when the main one dies - the problem with this is that then you have a load of vampires who have no achievable win condition and the game sucks for them. I do have some ideas for how to balance this kind of mechanic better for next time though!

If you’re interested in how things progressed throughout the game, my spreadsheet is ***here***. This records everything that everyone did throughout the game (you should all be able to view and comment but not edit).

Also, I realise that I could have dragged the game out for a couple more days and probably converted some more players to vampires, but I don’t think anyone really wants that! If I’m wrong, we can carry on and resolve it all the way to the end but it’s inevitable how it will go (all remaining players but one will become vampires).

Next Game

I’m already thinking about the mechanics for another game. But I’m going to leave it for a week or two to let this game cool down (and to give me time to design all the roles!).

10 Likes

I feel like vampires bring up a ton of problems with the structure of the wolf game. Like, if your a human, but you have a chance to become a vampire and then win, did you lose? did you win? Did you win halfway? Normally win conditions are very clear, and team based so even in if you need to self sacrifice you might still win.

I said in our of our private alliance chats that maybe we should consider killing enginish right away. Too bad we didn’t.

1 Like

Yep, I agree. Third teams are difficult to incorporate into this kind of thing. They’re especially difficult to manage when the wolf team is so quickly wiped out by the humans and everyone knows about the supposedly secret third team because super secret sneaky role announces himself publicly xD

1 Like

Sorry Noble. D:
But…

Don’t worry, you’re an honorary vampire in my book. :wink:

Vampires were definitely a tricky faction, and probably unbalanced. But, it was a fun game, and the only way to make sure roles are balanced is by trying them out. Definitely #1 on my crazy wolf games list.
Everyone played well, but I think MVP goes to Lucas. Very craftily done, I was floored when you didn’t die from the gun.
The double agent role had a lot of potential for enjoyable shenanigans, kind of a shame none of it panned out.
Also, going public after skyentist and Matt died was the only way I could see myself winning. I misplayed real, real hard by biting Lomsor instead of Krishna, and trying to go for a cooperative victory was kind of my only option.

Krishna: I’m gonna need to see a song 6. :smile:

Also, just slightly bummed I don’t get to see the wolf/ new-new-alliance threads. Slightly.

All in all, very fun. Lots of plots, only one of which actually ended up working. Good work, Martin! claps

5 Likes

It was a fun game, thanks @martindevans.

Noble blinked, he was crumpled on the ground and just above the tops of the trees yonder he could see the sun rising. Shielding his eyes from the glare, he pushed himself to his feet. His head lolled to one side though he didn’t feel anything so he merely shrugged. As he stepped forward his right foot knocked into something. Looking down he seen an old tome titled ‘The Sacred teachings of our lord Antamera’, Noble felt a strange tingling in his stomach - something deep down told him this was important to him. But he felt power in his veins like never before and as he broke out into a supernaturally fast sprint towards Eliseni he quickly forgot about the dusty old book. A new desire flooded his mind - BLOOD - a picture came to him, a clerk named Cosmos - and my, he looked juicy.

And you never will! :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless Topper, Krishna, or Cise feels like copy/pasta and placing it somewhere…

This was my first ever wolf game so it was real interesting to begin with, and then being placed as a wolf really made it interesting for me. I’ve learned a lot about the mistakes I made as a wolf, like not knowing how to pretend to be human due to never having been a human, for example. It was interesting to see how bandwagons went and when the Lomsor bandwagon backfired it really screwed us up once it became obvious who was confirmed human and who was still alive 2 days later.

Overall, I had fun, although I was a little bummed that I didn’t even know the vote had switched to me during the extension. I was out buying food for that superbowl that disappointed me even further. Still though, great game! Ie enjoyed it and learned much. I’m ready for a community Triton game if people are up to it…I know how to play that :smiley:

Tarvak’s long dead tounge twitched as squirrels nibbled on him

edit: I forgot I wanted to point this out when all was over…

Good Call Lysk :smile:

2 Likes

Enginish: Sorry, Eliseni, Man’s gotta eat.
Town: wat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPkQ2hLOyms&t=6m00s

3 Likes

The next night, everyone gathered in Eliseni’s square. A giant pile of furniture was burning near the well, sending sparks whirling upwards and across the town. Small blazes had started around the town, but the figures dancing around the fire didn’t notice. Half full bottles of whiskey were being passed around, and empty ones were being thrown into the roaring fire. Everyone was drunkenly shouting a song at the sky:
"What a lovely, lovely night,
for a drink, and a parade!
We’ll dance until the morning light,
this town should be afraid…"

1 Like

Oh just wait for the next one >:D

2 Likes

<- Roleless Human

Hah, so many hits on suspects. If only I could have operated from the shadows.

I really wasn’t paying enough attention on the lynchlist of Day 2. But, oh my god… How could humans think that LucasFIN was a wolf? Yes, when he survived the bullet, I was like “There is no bloody way!”. But LucasFIN made the second vote on Cise right after Matt voted. There would have been no reason for him to do that as a wolf!

@TerranAmbass did you choose to kill me or was I killed due to being the second one on the lynch list. If I remember correctly I wasn’t the last to make a vote on you.

Then why did you still try to lynch me? I expected all humans to know what I meant by “non-humans” and that they should all die?

Probably what I said sealed LucasFIN’s vote on me. Heh… perhaps expected me to be some “Witch hunter”/“Van Helsing”?

I feel it would have been more balanced if the vampire lord dying would also kill all other vampires. Also since I deem survival as the first objective, then I feel vampires have only gotten a draw, since they all became undead.

1 Like

@Pendrokar

It was a choice. My goal was to get people talking, and taking the other bandwagon target with me was the best way I could think of. Generate reactions and all that.

No hard feelings?

This was very entertaining to watch all the way to the end.

Well played @Enginish, my vampire apprentice :slight_smile: Although I was a bit worried when you came out with your role. Luckily you managed to hold it together until the end.

After game thoughts:

My game plan was to position myself as a trusted human all the while biting the he** out of everybody. I decided to take an active role behind the scenes and play just like a human would. My aim was to earn enough trust to be invited into a human alliance.

Things started to get interesting when Xamino contacted me and revealed his vigilante role. He decided to test me by shooting my prime suspect, saying “if he dies as a human, you’re next”. And so lolsparta was brutally murdered… To prevent Xamino from getting me killed next I decided to “reveal” my role to him. I claimed to be a Necromancer. I basically just described my role accurately to him only leaving the “Vampire” part out :smiley:

Then I was contacted by Enginish and I quickly gained his and Xamino’s trust to a point where I was revealed that Enginish is the GA and Trevise, their former ally, was the Handler, who could send anonymous messages to the wolves. The first Alliance was born.

I started to have some formidable “assets” at my “disposal”. The GA and the Vigilante! Naturally I got the GA to protect me at night so I could “treat” my team mates without the fear of getting killed at night. The fact that I was allied to the former allies of Trevise, our only confirmed human, was something I could use to expand the pool of recruits. I started to expand the alliance. Eventually collecting every one of my contacts into a group that was to be called The New Alliance.

After Cise was killed and confirmed as wolf the game was starting to look quite desperate for the wolves. And I was in a very strong position. All the most probable humans trusted me and I had GA protection at night. What could possibly go wrong? I pretty much had everything going my way! Except… One little thing… I realised I was playing maybe a bit too well as a “human” since after the wolves are gone who would kill the ones I have bitten and expand my faction?!

I had two options. Try to solidify my position as a trusted human to a point where after the wolves were gone the remaining allies would rather lynch each other before anyone would consider me as a target. Or… I could try to contact the wolves and play some risky double game with both the humans AND the wolves. For some reason I was convinced that cybercritic was one of the remaining wolves. I decided to gamble everything in a high risk, high return game, which was going to be a fatal mistake…

I was aware of the message Treveise sent to the wolves as the Handler. He basically claimed that he was a neutral and would like to see the wolves win. The wolves gave Trevise an anonymous answer:

"The llight bulb has fallen on it’s own. We don’t know what happened."

I never got to know what it meant. But I decided to try and contact the wolves by claiming to be that neutral player and offering an alliance. I would then try to get the wolves to kill all the bitten humans to expand my own faction while simultaneously leading the human alliance. Oh that would have been glorious!

I figured the wolves were desperate already and decided to contact them with a very frank and a bit aggressive way. Cybercritic was my main suspect. I told him that I “knew” he was a wolf and asked him what the cryptic sentence about the light bulbs meant to him. Too bad it turned out I was not talking to a wolf but the only force in the known universe that could still get me killed. The vigilante! (the role stolen from Xamino by the doppelganger)

And then I went to a bar with my friends irl and when I was heading back home in the bus I read the latest messages from my cellphone… I was dead… -_-

Luckily my children prevailed in the end :wink:

Oh and wolves… what the heck did that llight bulb thing mean??

3 Likes

Looks to Cise

Personally I haven’t the slightest clue…

Excellent summary though, its nice to see what was happening behind the scenes.

2 Likes