The Random Thread

The ability to instantly accelerate to the speed of sound, but with no (super powered) way to slow down.

1 Like

You become the HULK … but only in a deep sleep.

This character in a nutshell I swear.

Can teleport from place to place but gets violently nauseous.

1 Like

The ability to travel through time… but only in one second intervals.

The link is broken?

I screwed up and fixed it. I embeded it which is a HTML and not basic linking.

Still broken for me.

Try again, but if it doesn’t work kill me and use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwnnM3QP68s

That did it. And yeah, I saw this:

And instantly started wondering which character to copy.

Hmm. Since about two months my computer has strange boot up problems and the general access speed of the hard drives and even the SSD seemed to have dropped.

Since two weeks my USB headset periodically cuts out and stutters. Additionally to that the build in Network Hardware just fails once a day and needs a restart.

Today my HP LP3065 screen ceased to display the BIOS and Windows start-up but works fine when Windows is running. Some people had this problem with other Graphic Cards, due to the limited range of resolutions this screen can accept, but I always could enter BIOS until now …

This is worryingly getting out of hand with all these problems popping up. I’m getting concerned as these problems don’t appear to be linked but seem to happen so close to each other.

I suspect something fundamentally going wrong with the system. Either the Mainboard or the PSU have to be the problem.

Here’s something I noticed. Could someone please check up if those values are acceptable? I wasn’t able to find any info on that.

Here’s the system Info:

MAINBASE.txt
MAINBASE.xml

Regarding the voltages, those two are probably within acceptable ranges. Plus the sensors are often inaccurate/not calibrated correctly.
If you have access to a voltage meter you can try checking the voltages across the pins yourself. (http://marcomiltenburg.com/2011/09/18/how-to-test-an-atx-power-supply/)

Shutdown your system and take the memory out, it will discharge ā€œinvisibleā€ static on the board. I have saved my system a few times with that trick.

Inspired by the mention of static, I did a search and came up with this thread in which there is a mention of triggering a static discharge, but which ultimately suggests that removing power from the components allows BIOS to reset - and that it fixes a whole host of problems.

The thread has a link to an HP page about hard resets. It’s a dead link, but here’s the same content:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01684768

If the computer display remains blank and does not boot into Windows, or some device stops working, or the computer freezes, it may be helpful to perform a hard reset. A hard reset will erase all of the information in the computer’s temporary memory and restore functionality. Many times, peripheral devices like USB drives, firewire devices, USB memory sticks, and even SD cards can interfere with the normal boot process. Doing a hard reset will force the system to clear and then reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware. Other problems that can be resolved by performing a hard reset include the keyboard not responding, or the PC not coming out of hibernation or sleep mode, or the PC freezing during normal operation.

It’s essentially rebooting everything.

Ok. The Blank Screen problem got solved…

I cleared the CMOS in the beginning of the debugging, though the inability to enter the BIOS after that didn’t make it better.

I tried both of the suggested methods. Not sure that the 30 Second thing worked with my mainboard, but I tried nevertheless. It booted up and down several times.
I also removed the RAM and booted without, then put it back in. Took some boots until it recognized all 12GB again but it isn’t the first time I had problems with that.

I just hope this rig isn’t degrading itself. I plan to build a new one sometime from now to next summer, but I also want to preserve this machine for a friend. And having it do strange stuff like this isn’t helping. Thanks anyways.

I’ve actually had similar problems and last Tuesday my computer stopped working. No BIOS boot screen or anything. I recently ordered a new PSU on a hunch so we’ll see if that fixes it :stuck_out_tongue:

I spent two hours trying to debug a friends computer where I couldn’t see the BIOS on bootup. Eventually, I even lost the boot to windows part of it and the monitor would just remain black the entire time. I tried a hard reset and reseating the ram and gpu. It turns out the monitor plugged in to the mobo integrated gpu. It’s a silly solution, but hey it took me 2 hours to actually look where the monitor was plugged in! It happens.

For the record it was he who set it up this way and I just assumed the monitor was plugged in correctly. Never assume!! Probably pointless advice since it’s such a specific case, but something to always keep in mind for the future. I know I will always check that I’m booting from the main monitor/gpu from now on.

I had a PSU leftover from a futile attempt at fixing another problem, and since it was better than the one I had in my computer, I put it in. The computer booted up fine, but the moment I started virtually any program, the entire system would just shut down. I RMA’d the PSU, but still the same result. My old PSU works just fine, so I put it back in, sent the RMA’d PSU back, and said forget it.

Another constant problem I’m having with my computer is some weird feedback through my sound card. My system is pretty ancient, and it didn’t have surround-sound plugins on the mother board, so when I got a 5.1 headset, I had to use the sound card. However, I’m getting a high-pitched whining/grinding sound through the center and back speakers (and a little on stereo, but hardly perceptable). I used my stereo monitors to test the outputs on the card, and the whining is still there. Just to make sure, I brought my 5.1 over to a friend’s computer, and the headset worked just fine. So the headset isn’t to blame. I noticed that the more demanding the GPU was, the more persistent the sound was. Also, when a game hitches, for example sometimes when jumping to another star in E:D and the game micro-freezes/hitches, the sound stops, only to resume when the game un-freezes. The fan runs constantly on the GPU, so it can’t be that. The sound card is situated directly underneath the GPU.

So yeah, those are my war stories.

Does this apply to sound being played by another program? The game audio freezing would not be unexpected.

Nope. I usually play music through my headset as I play. The music doesn’t stop. The whining isn’t exceedingly loud, usually only noticeable when there is little sound being played, which is one of the reasons why I play music while playing E:D, as it’s music isn’t to my taste. But if I listen for it, the noise is there. My best guess is that there is *something* going on with the GPU that’s causing interference with the sound card.

Also, the only thing that hitches when jumping in E:D is the video. The audio sound effect plays continuously until I reach the destination, hitch or no. It’s a weird bug that’s been the source of some annoyance with the E:D community. Many ā€œfixesā€ have been released, but the problem hasn’t entirely disappeared. It has something to do with AMD cards to the best of my knowledge, which I have.

The whining noise is probably some electromagnetic induction.
What motherboard do you have and which PCI slots are the sound and gfx cards in?
A different arrangement may eliminate or reduce the interference.