I first saw it about 6 months ago, it’s on Netflix everyone! I went into it with no assumptions, but I was similarly surprised by it. I did enjoy the story and the movie. It was not the kind of movie I thought it was going to be either, which is nice. I like being surprised by it. The only thing that made me cringe was the smokey ship. -.- Physics has ruined me for most sci-fi. I don’t know about it being the best anime movie I’ve ever seen. I’d still put cowboy bebop’s ending movie, and other various animes like princess mononoke, etc, up there as well.
The smoke was holographic, for this very reason. Harlock wanted awesome smoke effects, and who was to say “Sorry, but my physics textbook says it can’t happen” to their pirate overlord?! 
Maybe I should rewatch it this summer…
Given their tiny budget, the CGI is pretty simple in addition to be half a decade old. I felt that it was compensated by a good sense of aesthetics, but I would understand if some find it off-putting.
That said, to me it has some very strong points to compensate. It is very competently made, with good character development and use of “show, don’t tell”. Character themselves aren’t flat and are voiced by good voice actors, and the scenario is smart, avoiding easy “good vs evil”, and more specifically, easy “good natural native in harmony with nature vs eeeeeeevil greedy humans” (hence why it did Avatar way, way better than Avatar)
It also has one of the best antagonists I’ve ever seen in a film. What he is doing is wrong, no question about it, and even he knows it is monstrous. But not only you understand why he does it, and why people would follow him, but you may also seriously wonder if you would have done otherwise in his position - while knowing he is wrong. That’s some pretty impressive stuff right there.
And there are many small nice things all around. One that stuck with me is the custom roundel on Stanton’s ship. You barely see it a few seconds, and that’s if you pay attention. But if you know the Tao symbol, you may realize how close to a double-Yang symbol it looks like.
I don’t know if it was a conscious decision or not but anyway, given the context, that was a stroke of pure genius.
Keep talking like that and I’m going to have to re-watch it asap.
Crowd funding for a porno in space.
What a time to be alive, seriously.
If this is somehow against forum rules, I’ll remove the post. But damn is it funny…
Their goal makes no sense though. They need way more than 3.4 million to hitch a ride to orbit…
I think the industry has more then enough reserves to top up to whatever price they need to pay for the rest.
Then why ask for 3.4m in the first place? To demonstrate demand Star Citizen style? To prove to investors that it’s worth it?
*facepalms*
So many inappropriate puns…
Porno Star Wars was a sham?!? /cries
The first sex I know about in space happened during Apollo (I might have the wrong one) I was told from an interview on NPR. To the best of my recalletion (spell chek fails me) The astronauts had sex in space. This was before there were any women astronauts.
I don’t believe this is accurate…
You beat me to it. ![]()
![]()
(Sorry I had to!)
Me as well! I went backpacking all weekend.
This is my first time back on the interwebs, so it’s time for me to read up on it.
Challenge: Come up with amazingly stupid super powers.
The ability to FLY… but only due north.
You have the ability to breathe underwater…only when you are upside down.
To learn any dead language instantly… from people who speak it.
