The Random Thread

Does that mean you havent been able to work on the KS / I:BS?

(Or wrap tinfoil around your audio cable(s) for the first few inches and, if you can isolate and ground it securely, put up a barrier between sound and graphics card.)

If the whining is caused by induction, or any other electromagnetic effect come to think of it, this should at least cause a significant drop. It wont be pretty, but if it doesn’t work you wont have to worry about rearranging your hardware (though generally speaking that’s a good idea regardless to help with airflow).

It’ll be induction on the circuits within the motherboard, not over the gap between the cards.

I’m guessing that post-production guys are the busy ones right now, and am willing to bet $5 that Keith owns a laptop.

@INovaeKeith Exactly how big can celestial objects be in engine?

It means I had to work on it using my laptop which was less than optimal. I installed the new PSU today and so far so good.

A single planet could theoretically be bigger than an entire solar system. We can handle some pretty big stuff.

5 Likes

On beyond dwarf star?
At that point I would think you would have a black hole.

Dwarf stars are much smaller than our solar system. I think we can assume that there is no difference in size limits between planets and stars.

The largest known star, VY Canis Majoris, has a diameter of about 13AU which is inside the orbit of Uranus.

I suppose the next logical question is what is a rough maximum of the diameter of a solar system?
Eg The binary star DT Virginis has a planet GU Piscium b with a semi-major axis of about 2000AU.
In comparison, the furthest point in Pluto’s orbit is 50AU

Not that implementing such a system would be all that worthwhile. If a movement system was tuned for the 90% case of <100AU systems, then a planet ten times farther out would be treated as another system. That is, I might warp throughout a 100AU system, but I’d jump to a planet 2000AU away.

If the movement system is like most space games and works by teleportation (e.g. EVE Online’s warping), then there are no systems, just individual planets. The size of a planetary system becomes irrelevant to the engine.

It should be noted that despite our best optimization efforts you would probably run out of VRAM before you could max out the size of a planet our engine is capable of handling. At least on current hardware - NVIDIA’s next-gen Pascal GPU may change things quite a bit.

3 Likes

Agreed but thats not really relevant to the question of whether the engine would generate such a system.

Man I hope this isn’t the case!

I was making the observation to suggest that it was unlikely because a seamless movement system would have no use for such a large game space.

IEEE 754 double precision gives at most 17 decimal digits of precision. 10^17 millimeters is 668 AU. At c, that’s almost 4 days. At 100c, that’s an hour. More than enough room for a seamless game space for spaceships.

That said, 2^63 mm is over 60,000 AU :smile:

2 Likes

Just switched to Win 10. I like the sleek look, prefer it over 7 and 8. And the new Build in Task Manager and Calculator are really … modern …
But I’m talking about design here. What’s inside really matters, and we’ll see how that holds up.

1 Like

Oh i too switched
But to Mint :smile: Perfect distro for people too lazy to learn too many new things.
Love it.
Didn’t work with Win (at home that is :-/) for a few weeks already. Think am almost cured. :blush:

3 Likes

I just got back last night from a 3 trip to one of the channel islands(I’m out here in southern california) out to one of the university’s research stations. We’re working on putting in sensors to help monitor their power, water, and trash use in hopefully real time so that they can be more sustainable(course description, not mine!). It was cool though, only a small minority of the time we were working on that…we mostly got to hike around the island and enjoy the ocean/AMAZING view of the stars at night. We got to hike a total of 20 miles this weekend and see some pretty cool places though.

Edit: I’m also taking a stupid defensive driver training for working at the university…these things are so stupid and such a waste of time… :angry:

Funny, I’ve actually been wanting to do some driving courses sometime in the next year to refresh my knowledge and instincts. Wish we could trade, would be a win win situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Get a motorcycle. It’ll keep your instincts sharp. Or kill you.

5 Likes

Or hoping artificial spinal cords aren’t too far in the future. That’s actually what made me stop using those after my college years. And as I learned since, what made my father stop at about the same age, surprisingly enough.

Though I could also use some drive practice, I’ve barely touched a steering wheel in the last two years - almost since I got my licence, in fact.
Not that I miss it. I like driving about as much as horse riding, but being as rusty both, this could be a problem some day. (Mostly in case of apocalypse for the later, but one never knows!)

I wish you would have replied earlier! I would have given you the link…fair trade as long as you gave me the pdf! :stuck_out_tongue:

It was all really common sense stuff such as ā€œhow do you align your mirrorsā€, how far you should stay behind cars, etc.

I drive cumulative at least 30 miles a day and 90 miles whenever I need to go to my parents house so it’s a fair amount. I just read forums or whatever and would tab back and hit the arrow to go to the next video every time I would hear the video stop. It still took 2 hours to complete!

1 Like

Double posting…

I feel like I should let you all know I just started 5,000,000 iterations on an orbit simulator I wrote today in hopes that I’ll see orbital drift…it’s been going for about 10-15 minutes now and I expect it to run for at least another 45…

Edit: 10:12, 38 minutes from my post. It just finished…I didn’t get the unstable orbit that I was hoping to get. I’m not sure what to do now :cry:

@Kichae I was told we would see some spiraling inwards/outwards depending on if we calculate force or velocity first for the orbit. It’s just using the standard equations of motion and recalculating/iterating on each step dt. I thought 5,000,000 would be enough but I didn’t see any drift. Any suggestions? There’s probably bugs in my code…posting it in a sec(without comments, sorry guys!)

function orbit(z0,y0,v0z,v0y,m,k,dt)

z = z0;
y = y0;

for i = 0:50000

r = (z^2 + y^2)^(1/2);

fz = (-k/r^3)*z;
fy = (-k/r^3)*y;
az = fz/m;
ay = fy/m;         
vz = v0z + az*dt;
vy = v0y + ay*dt;
 plot(z,y);
z = z + vz*dt;
y = y + vy*dt; 
v0z = vz;
v0y = vy;
hold on;

end

z is basically x, I just didn’t feel like using x. I set m, k, v0z, and y0 to 1 to make it simple. The rest is 0 as they should be.