I’ve watched the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery. I’ll stick with it.
Some early reviews:
A lot of which I kind of agree with.
And CBS not airing the other 13 eps until Nov-Jan which sucks.
I wonder if they will re-edit/work the CGI and SFX and scenes etc now the reviews are coming in for the first wo episodes and thats why the long delay now for the remaining eps, to give them some re-working time to reflect the critics.
But, if this is all we get after so many years without Trek. I’ll watch it.
Just watched it tonight. I enjoyed it. The special effects were good and I like how they are establishing the story. Michael Burnham feels like the most confusing of the whole cast. Without spoiling it too much, her similarity to a character in the Star Trek movie didn’t quite convey the same inner struggle.
I was a bit annoyed with the “this is the Federation and nothing bad could possibly happen here” attitude.
The adds for the next episode were enough that I don’t know if I need to see it.
The FX were great.
That bit with the walking and making the federation simbel (spelling) seemed dumb.
Still all in all I did like it. Look forward to the next episode.
The new Klingons seem to be whiny pieces of shit, which is unusual for them. I’m not sure if it’s going to be worth continuing.
Spoilers
I’m definitely going to be pissed if they spend half the series before she gets her own command. Though they might be setting up another Kobayashi Maru moment to “redeem her”, because some dead horses just need to be beaten.
Once computers became sufficiently powerful, people started to simulate the past, adding a point of divergence to see what happens. The problem is, a few decades down the line, things always start going haywire and the whole thing soon go spiralling into hilarious absurdity.
In the current one, the point of divergence was when Stanislav Petrov decided that no, there won’t be a nuclear war today.
I tried to go see Blade Runner 2049 today but the cinema was having trouble with the film. So its next week now for me, Monday I hope on the biggest screen the cinema has.
Blade Runner isn’t supposed to be an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep though. It merely takes inspiration.
I haven’t seen 2049 yet, but apparently, Villenueve directed it (the same guy who directed Arrival). In Arrival, he more or less stuck to the source material and only diverged in making the universe free will-based instead of deterministic. My biggest takeaway from Blade Runner: I:B should have some cyberpunk aesthetics.
Speaking of movies, IT was pretty good. People call it horror, but it’s more like a dark, surreal, violent fantasy.
I’m glad the consensus is positive. I was worried the movie might play too much into nostalgia or feel too camp compared to the original. I don’t normally go to cinemas any more but I’ll be seeing it this weekend for sure.
A friend of mine told me that it was a Villeneuve film, and you either love or hate those.
After watching 2049, I can see why, though I’m in the minority that can’t decide between those. It’s beautiful, way too slow, fascinating, heavy-handed, immersive, pompous, well-shot, LOUD!
I’m leaning toward love, but not sure yet…
Yes, very long and very slow in places which I absolutely love in some Sci-Fi/Space films. The silence accentuated by the often loud sound design. It worked for me. I look forward to closer study when the Bluray comes out.
And I expect the making off videos will be 3-5 hours long as well, which will also be a great watch. Like those really long ones done for Ridleys Prometheus and Cameron’s Avatar.