The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

It’s really not.

I mean, look at how unreliable KSP physics are now, then imagine what it’d be like with all the potential problems added by race conditions and what-not - most of which of course are difficult to reproduce reliably and therefore a pain in the ass to debug by standard methods (instead you have to get a pen and paper and use maths - blegh!).

Sure, if Unity included (includes?) a good multithreading feature for exactly this kind of thing, by all means use it. Just not convinced it’d be a good idea for the KSP guys to try and implement it from scratch, at least not while there are more interesting features to add.

Not every game needs as much physics as KSP and Unity is a pretty general purpose game engine. KSP would probably need to use something like PhysX from Nvidia to give us the performance we want.

So I’m planning to apply to SpaceX for an internship this summer and on top of a resume they also require a video showcasing something you’ve created or built.

I’ve done a few things in school but nothing I feel confident enough to show off yet. So, since I’ve spent way too much time playing KSP I figured I would make a video showcasing sending a base to duna code named Space Exploration.

The base will have 6 modules:

S: Solar & Storage
P: Landing pad & Production
A: Agriculture
C: Command & Communication
E: Exercise & Living
X: Xtraction & Xploration

Naturally, the modules will be shaped like their corresponding letter. I’ve just finished the A module for Agriculture. It’s also the transfer module for any Kerbals going along with the mission. I also forget to mention a Kelon Musk will be landing on completion of the base in a Dragon V2 capsule on the pad.

I’ve just finished the A module and it’s lifter/transfer stage which is shown here:

I’ll take any criticism you can give me and ideas if you feel like sharing. I’ll be posting all of my modules here to see what you guys think. I’m also using a ton of mods including robotics and KAS. This means that I will be able to move parts around post launch(Such as the inflatable hab,farm in the A module) to make sure things look good.

Edit: I’m still getting that bug where I can’t see my own album on chrome…but I can see it in the preview.
Edit2: Solved
Edit3: It seems that when pasting links from imgur you should make sure the address you link is https not http

2 Likes

I knew there had to be a KSP thread hidden somewhere!

Would anyone be interested in playing on my Kerbal multiplayer server? I put it up for some of my friends, but they’re not playing it nearly as obsessively as me! At the moment it’s just sandbox with a load of random mods, but if I get enough interest I’ll take requests and put together a more cohesive set of mods :smile:

I’ve even been considering putting together a modpack suitable for two teams to wage a space war against one another! But that would need a fair few players.

2 Likes

YES (10char)

edit: If you want, I can help you sift through mods as well. I know about a lot of them. Kerbal is kind of a second life. I would definitely be interested in this! Although I am sure I will have to compromise on a lot of the mods I use because it’s way too many :dizzy_face:

Sure, feel free to suggest mods. The only restriction is that they should be on CKAN because that makes setting up clients for new players really easy!

I just finished a couple of months playing KSP with every realism mod I could get my hands on (FAR, RSS, Real Fuels, Deadly Re-Entry etc etc), I had to cut that right back for multiplayer though because no one else I know would even get into orbit with RSS :unamused:

For my current mod set (on the MP server) I’m back to a vanilla solar system with a few realism mods (real fuels, deadly reentry, FAR) and a load of random parts mods (procedural fairings, KW rocketry, B9 aerospace, Near Future stuff). The idea is those realism mods don’t make the game much harder for total newbies, they just add interesting stuff at the high end.

Btw if you’re finding your game takes ages to load have you tried using active texture management? Basically first time you load the game with ATM it will take forever because it converts all textures into DDS and pregenerates mipmaps, but after that it’s amazingly fast! My setup has 42 mods (mostly parts mods which take a long time to load) and only takes about 1 minute to load.

I thought I would run into problems suggesting FAR and DR and what not. Glad to see we’re on the same page! I’ve never played RSS, but I am confident that with enough time playing around I could get to orbit and start doing things. My favorite thing to do was to build spaceplanes and launch stations piece by piece with them. B9 was my favorite mod of choice for this, and I’ve also been watching OPT plane parts lately which also has some really nice plane parts that fit the stock feel moreso than b9. How about KAS, KIS, and Infernal robotics while we’re at it?

I tried to keep the mods down in a recent playthrough and tried not to use ATM in hose to keep the game looking nice, but for multiplayer I’m down to go big. I have used ATM and also launching in opengl which cuts at least 1gb of ram use off for me, but I think at the cost of some FPS. I haven’t not used opengl in awhile, nor have I ran the game near stock(Just KER, FAR, DR, no parts mods) in a very long time. I also find EVE w/ astronomers packs near mandatory for keeping the game beautiful, but that is a ram hog so we’ll have to see how far we want to go. Is there a way to make EVE(or some mods in general) optional so we don’t kill machines that can’t handle many mods?

RPM is one I like because it makes the IVA views quite nice.

With all that sad, I played KSP a lot last year, but these last 2 semesters not so much, mostly because classes have kept me so busy, and there’s no one for me to play with. A multiplayer server fixes the second issue, and I can find time for kerbal heh.

I haven’t played much KSP recently (I blame Chaos Reborn among others), but I intend to go back when the 1.0 is out.
Multiplayer sounds pretty fun then!

I haven’t tried multiplayer yet. I’d love to give it a go.

Which warp system are you using?

Any of you use RemoteTech2?

Yeah it’s not actually particularly hard if you know what you’re doing. You just need to get used to using lower TWR and higher DeltaV than your normal rockets. I stopped partly because it takes forever to do anything in RSS (10 mins to LEO) but mostly because RSS textures are horribly broken in the current release :frowning:

I’ve already got KAS and IR on the server. I haven’t seen KIS before, that looks pretty cool.

One mod I’d really like is one to construct ships on other planets/in orbit (which is probably essential for a combat server, if we do that). I’ve tried extraplanetary launchpads before but found the resource system to be a bit rubbish. Is anyone aware of any alternatives?

Yep, in fact the server does not enforce any mods at all! If you don’t install any mods and play entirely stock that will work! For things like EVE/ATM and whatnot that’s entirely up to the clients if they want to install it or not. The only restriction if if you try to place a part into the world which the server does not understand the rocket will be unable to leave the pad (i.e. you can’t install new parts clientside).

I usually configure it for subspace, to quote the docs: “Each player can warp at will, and they can ‘sync’ to other players times”). If we’re playing a sandbox or career server I’ll probably stick with that. If we want to do any kind of coordinated/cooperative mission using voice chat or something then we’ll use vote (every player votes on the speed of time, so all players are always at the same time). If we’re playing combat I’d like to use lowest (every player sets their desired speed and all players progress at that speed), but that’s not implemented yet, so I guess we’d have to go with vote

I used RemoteTech2 for a while, but I found it incredibly frustrating because the flight computer kept messing up my commands (it’s particularly terrible at executing nodes in my experience). Interestingly the speed of light is a client side setting, so I could add RemoteTech to the server and everyone who wants can simply set the speed of light to infinity (you still require a radio connection to control robotic ships, there’s simply no signal delay which means you don’t have to use the dreadful flight computer).

1 Like

Ooh, I didn’t know about CKAN (and I’m enjoying the perl/TeX reference)

1 Like

The one time I tried RSS it just felt tedious to get to orbit. What I wouldn’t mind trying is the 6.4x rescale of Kerbin. Since all fuel tanks/engines are scaled to 60% of Earth this essentially balances the size of kerbin to the current stats of parts ingame. Making it slightly more difficult, but not quite as bad as RSS. We could also try some of the extra planet mods but I haven’t messed with any of them yet.

It was only just released in the last few weeks, don’t worry :smiley:

I was going to suggest extraplanetary launchpads when you started talking about constructing ships. I’m pretty sure that’s all there is. I know Karbonite refines the EPL process a bit, but I never used EPL since I usually just built planes from Kerbin.

Speaking of Karbonite, I think Karbonite should be included along with ScanSat.

Also, I use KER but Mechjeb can work too. I only use it for information. I do all the flying myself(mostly).

That’s great news about the server checks for mods. That means I can use RCS build aid, velocity control mods, and tac fuel balancer for vtols without bothering you guys with it! Although I highly recommend them either way. If only RCS build aid. Such a life saver.

1 Like

I’d rather avoid RSS or upscaled planets for now, don’t want to make the server too unfriendly to newbies!

Karbonite and ScanSat are both pretty cool, and if Karbonite works with EPL that’s great :smiley:

I’ve put up a document here which is editable by anyone, feel free to add new suggested mods to it.

Fair enough. I’m pretty sure it’s consistent with EPL, but I never researched their compatability too much. I know for a fact you can mine rocket parts with Karbonite parts though.

I’ll begin suggesting tons of mods. I wouldn’t want all of them to be implemented because it’s tedious when you have so many, but they’ll just be my preferences and we can sift through them.

I have used Remote tech in the past and it’s fun if you’re playing a career where you limit yourself to probes first to destinations. For newer players, it could be too difficult or just tedious. Sometimes you just want to play :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I see near future isn’t compatable with near future. I’ve been dreaming up designs with near future lately and would love to have the pack available to use. I don’t know which we’d rather sacrifice, I’ve never played with real fuels. What are its advantages?

I guess we could sacrifice Real Fuels. It’s primary use is that you can store any fuel in any tank, and you have a whole load of different engines using different fuels which makes things like asparagus staging rather more difficult to manage (different engines use different fuels or consume fuels in different ratios). Also you have effects like cryogenic fuel boil off, which means you need radiators on your deep space missions or your fuel is all gonna be gone by the time you get there!

Server Is Live

I’ve just setup the server with a new mod pack, thanks to @Skyentist for helping me choose some mods.

Instructions for how to join the server can be found here.

The server is whitelisted at the moment, so if you want access you need to tell me the name you’ll be using in game. Either on this thread or in a private message.

Been working on an exam all day. Awesome! I’ll try to hop on at the end of the week and start building(blowing up) some craft and stations! First one to Laythe wins :smiley:

@martindevans I edited the doc a bit with 2 more suggested mods that do not add parts.

Looking forward to it!

Busy tonight but I’ll take a look tomorrow evening probably.

I’ve added both of you to the whitelist with the names you use here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Add me to the whitelist as well.