The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

The second is what I meant by:

… but with some added flexibility by reaching a halt before you reach the ground. With a perfectly optimal suicide burn you’d do one 100% burn which brings you to a safe landing velocity only a meter or two above the ground… but that doesn’t give you much room for error.

The devs just announced that the next update will take KSP into beta. It’s been three years in alpha.

Also something a lot of people miss is making sure the navball is set to Surface mode, not Orbit mode (just click where is says it to cycle them). You need surface mode before you land to make sure you have truly cancelled out your movement relative to the ground. :smile:

Yeah, I made sure to switch to surface mode. I just haven’t developed the knack for landing it. :boat:

Well, for some reason, some combination of these mods are causing my craft to spontaneously collapse and explode with no prompting. Yay.

Then again, I’m playing on x64 Linux, so who knows what that’s doing to it.

Make sure they’re up to date…but uh I have no idea what else to tell you :dizzy_face:

Maybe remove mods 1 by one to see where the conflict lays?

The linux version is rock solid for me (also 64 bit), I would also think that it may be a mod’s fault.

I’m using the 32 bit Windows version so can’t help.

Well, I reckon that on the Linux version I applied a beta version of one of the mods. That might be why it got a little screwy. Though my Linux install’s being funky in a bunch of ways still, so that might not be helping either.

Had some time last night and made a test vehicle for a rover+base delivery system…I need to build a crane that can lift modules out next. Here’s what I’ve got so far…

At the time when I did this the rovers wheels were too wide to use the ramp which is why it doesn’t really go up it.

I used IR hinges attached to the front cockpit and a fuselage to rotate up like some cargo planes too…I like how it looks and how smooth it is too.

1 Like

That’s pretty neat

So I haven’t been -that- much into KSP, but you may recall my friend Engine or was it Enginish, I cant remember what user name he used, but something along those lines, from the wolf game. He is in the process of recreating the Endurance and Ranger from Interstellar, and is going to attempt the spinning docking procedure that was seen in the movie. I will try to get him on here to show you all, it is pretty cool.

Personally, I have always been more interested in building big things in KSP. Which unfortunately, seems like the worst thing you can do, because of the Unity Engine, but whatever. Anyways, so I built what I would call a flag ship, or capital ship, or whatever that I sent to Jool. I sent landers and probes to several locations in the system, and made it back to the ship. It could make it back to earth, no doubt, but I am lazy, and also was not sure if I wanted to land elsewhere first.

Enjoy.

7 Likes

So I helped Engine get his Endurance into space, and also helped design this kick ass Ranger. Anyways, screenshots are way easier to post than words. What do you guys think? Lander still being built and spin-dock process hasn’t been attempted yet.

EDIT: Just as a note, the ranger can make it into orbit under its own power, with no assistance. It uses a single turbo jet, and 4 ion thrusters to make it into orbit. It can power the ions at full strength in full sunlight without losing charge, but has I think 4500ish battery power. The craft weighs in at exactly 8.0t.

Failed Launch Attempt, but kind of shows the launching mechanism.

What we ended up settling on as a launch stage.

Spaaaaaaaaaace!

Ranger

Ranger!

RANGER!

5 Likes

I love that endurance! looks great! How many parts is that monstrosity though? :man:

1 Like

Elon Musk just said, (exact quotes) “Kerbal is Awesome” on reddit. Read about it here.

4 Likes

I was reading the AMA last night and saw that! I was stoked…

I’m super bummed I found out a bout the ama too late though, I have a few questions for him regarding their future hiring of private astronauts…

I want to say it is somewhere in the range of like… 500 parts, after the launch stage is ditched. I would have to double check but I am far too lazy at the moment. lol

I’m amazed the Unity engine isn’t shitting itself with that many things going on :smile:

Maybe it is, but they are using the nappies plugin :wink:

Nope, totally stock game. Too lazy for mod doodads and shiz. But if theres a way to make it so Unity can use all of my cores for calculations i would appreciate a link, as I’ve been led to believe that Unity can only use one core for one function. So apparently physics calculations are all done on one core, which is dumb :\