The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

Are procedural fairings needed any more? I was under the impression the in game fairings did everything now…

1 Like

Maybe? Again, haven’t played I’ve awhile. Biggest perk to procedural was no limit to nosecone size.

I personally still use Procedural Fairings even with the stock fairings simply because they usually look nicer and work better (one staging event for jettison rather than separate deploy and decouple actions). I believe there was some issue with either PF or stock not properly interacting with the atmospheric drag model, but I think that was fixed in 1.1 anyway.

I just threw together a mod list with requests from people in this thread, plus a couple of my own. I’m going to start testing all these mods in single player right now (I’ll add notes to the doc as I confirm compatibility)

Modlist (WIP)

Anyone should be able to insert inline comments (although it would be better to post in this thread, as I’ll get a notification that way).

1 Like

I didn’t have much time to browse the forums but here’s a few I saw/remembered.

SpaceY for larger rocket parts…

Adjustable landing gear is 100% necessary for me.

B9 if it’s updated…I love that mod…

B9 proc wings if possible(I love me my planes).

RCS build aid !

Maybe mk2 expansion or the hypersonic mk3 I see floating around but I can probably live without that.

I graduate in a month so it’s crunch time before finals but after that I’ll have a lot more time to play!

1 Like

I like that list, and will toss in my hat for yes to Deadly Reentry.

EDIT: Forgot to add, isn’t there a mod where you can report science back for full credit without having to return to Kerbin? You just establish a home base on a planet and can return to that instead of taking the science hit from transmitting.

EDIT2: Is the delay function for RemoteTech enabled or disabled? Good with either, just curious.

I have checked the Outer Planets Mod. Never used it before but I like it’s discription.
As you write in your document there is no version for 1.1 in CKAN yet but in their thread i got this information:

ALRIGHT EVERYONE, IMPORTANT INFO HERE!

Yes, 1.1 got released, but although Kopernicus has changed a bit to be compatible with 1.1, it isn’t as if configs suddenly need to be rewritten. Although you should always make backups of save files, OPM should work just fine in 1.1 as long as you’re using Kopernicus for 1.1. Kopernicus is in charge of making the pack load properly, OPM’s configs only tell Kopernicus what, how, and where to load everything up.

I have installed it now using " ckan.exe upgrade OuterPlanetsMod=1:1.9.2 " and did a test run.

This time I tried to do a test landing on Sarnius.
I know that you can’t expect a “normal” mission if you try to land on a gasplanet but there was more:
When i reached the planet i wanted to test if I can use the atmosphere for aerobraking so i changed my orbit a few k’s inside the atmo.
Everything except my command pod and the heat shield instantly exploded and my heat shield got used up very fast.
Had to reload and slowed down before hitting atmo this time.
Descended to “ground” level after that and the ship exploded which was expected.

I’m not sure if the atmo is expected to be that deadly. I will try later on other bodies.
But for the moment I think we don’t need deadly reenter on top on FAR - it’s already deadly :wink:
On the other hand. I never tried deadly reenter so I don’t really know if it is a good mod.

Other strange things I encountered:
I was playing a new game. But my first ship in orbit and changed to tracking station.
The tracking station did show my craft but it wasn’t listed nor double clickable…
Instead it showed my a craft on the list that was present in on of my other ksp games.
And the game refused to let me exit the tracking station. Had to kill ksp using taskmanager and restart.
After reloading the correct craft showed up in the tracking station and I was able to continue my mission.

Second odd thing:
At one point mechjeb had a glitch on creating maneuver nodes.
When i hit create node it created my new node. But once I clicked anywhere else the node was gone.
Had to use create and execute to get out of that situation. It happend half way to Sarnius.
I didn’t encounter that part after I came into Sarnius SOI

edit: I’d like to nominate the AutoAsparagus Mod.
I guess that’s a white list only mod.

I’ve just gone through the mod list marking up details on the status of all non-CKAN mods. Looks like we’re in luck and everything people have requested so far has work being done to make it 1.1 compatible :smiley:

I had a look down the CKAN list and didn’t see anything like that.

My preference would be enabled. What does everyone else think?

I’m for disabling the delay, also can we go with mods that people that are going to play have actually played with, I see no reason to add mods that nobody is familiar with?

Actually I just remembered this is a client side setting. People can set whatever speed of light they want (including infinite, for no delay).

I think we’ve largely been doing that so far! Of all the mods I have personally used all of them except DRE and RCS Build aid. Things have only been added to the list because people have asked for them.

1 Like

What mods do you not like to have in there? I’ve either used all of the ones listed or would like to use all of the ones listed.

What mods are we including so far?

Yeah. Not going to bother with all those mods on it. Anyone who fancies a vanilla server (other than the multiplayer mod of course) set up, let me know.

The stuff on this list, I think. Forgive me if the link doesn’t work, I’m still mastering quotes on these forums.

It would suck to split the community across two servers, neither would be very active :frowning:

Which of these mods don’t you like? The only one which changes gameplay from vanilla is FAR and I’ve just moved that from required to the optional whitelist. Every other mod can be ignored if you don’t personally like it.

Edit: Just realised DRE changes gameplay too. That includes parts so I cannot move it onto the whitelist… nobody seems particularly attached to it though so if it’s enough of a problem that you’d not play I will happily remove it.

How does FAR work? It seems to me that those with it enabled will have slightly different gameplay from those without, does each client handle their own vehicles differently?

EDIT: TweakScale was on CKAN just now, for 1.1.

EDIT2: DRE might not be a viable option, looks like it bugs out 1.1 pretty hard.

Yep. The multiplayer server is really just a database and a router - it does absolutely no simulation at all. The server simply handles telling all peers the results of simulations run by other peers. This is, for example, why you will never see lag on a vehicle you are steering because that’s doing all the sim locally same as usual.

@cybercritic You requested RemoteTech as a “must have” - how attached to it are you? And have you tested it in 1.1 yourself? I’ve been trying it out and RT seems to be causing some odd problems (certain directions become impossible to steer towards). Also, how the hell do you turn off the RT guidance computer?

Edit: Here’s a gif of what’s happening:

As you can see MechJeb is off, SAS is off, and the computer is set to hold a certain angle… instead it’s wobbling around that angle. So am I doing something stupid here, or is this some kind of bug?

If it’s a bug then obviously we can’t really run with RT until it’s fixed :frowning:

1 Like

I have no issues switching the RT Flight Computer off, clicking on the X does the trick, I think the problem in your case is that the craft doesn’t have a connection to mission control, so it can’t receive the command.

/edit
Just noticed that TweakScale got an update on ckan…

Also, RT guys are aware of the problem, it should be sorted out soon.
https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/559

I was so preoccupied trying to work out the weird wobbling problem I totally forgot the core gameplay of RemoteTech. :disappointed_relieved:

Keep an eye on the modlist - I’ve been checking things off as I get them on CKAN, install them locally and test them. I would be fairly happy to go with the modlist I’ve confirmed on there right now, the remaining mods could be added in when they appear on CKAN without much trouble. I’ll probably get the server setup this weekend or early next week with whatever mods are available on CKAN by then.

Cool, thanks for looking into that :slight_smile:

1 Like