The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

In my recent testruns I learned to hate remote tech’s flight computer.
I experienced worse wobbeling than you did. I hit that bug: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/244

And I ran across a bug where the flight computer wanted to execute a node that was already gone - and refused to accept my stop command (and yes I had a working connection)

I do think that remote tech is a “must have” - it’s a mod that will encourage us to work together on missions and that’s what multiplayer is about.
But if they don’t fix that flight computer soon that I will turn my light speed to infinite - so that I only have to use it when I plan a maneuver when I’m not connected…

The way I usually play with RT is to have infinite light speed, but then I just confine myself to only using MechJeb to execute preplanned maneuvers. Just because MJ is a far better flight computer than the RT one!

Edit: It turns out kOS has pretty comprehensive support for RT. Even allowing things like scripts setting communication targets! So that’s another interesting alternative to the flight computer.

1 Like

I’m guessing you haven’t used MechJeb before, you are in for a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it, use it and love it. But i thought it wouldn’t work when using remote tech.
After testing it now I found out that mechjeb doesn’t work when there is no connection - but when there is one it works without delay.

Guess I will have to “role play” the delay when I plan on using mechjeb :wink:
And I will use the flight computer for critical maneuvers.
On my test run I ordered mechjeb to do one of them and when the node came near the sun blocked line of sight to kerbin…

Update 1.1.1 has been rolled out.
There are a lot of warnings about outdated mods now on startup.
I ignored them and didn’t run into any problems.

Personally I would be eager to start multiplayer testing… :wink:

Conversely 1.1.1 rolled out and broke absolutely everything for me :frowning:

I’m going to reinstall all the mods tonight, hopefully it’s just a transient bug!

The plan is still that I’ll be getting it set up this weekend, potentially opening it up late on Sunday.

The Server Is Up!

I just threw up a very rough LKO comms network to test everything out :smiley:

How To Join

The modpack is available here. Download that file, and then in CKAN do: file > Install from .ckan. This should install the modpack with the exact versions I have installed.

When you install the modpack you should be asked to choose a KW engine config (graduated or instant throttle response), you should be able to use whichever you prefer.

You may also install some additional mods, see the modlist for an up to date list of what should work.

In KSP, on the main menu, setup DMP. Set your name and colour to whatever you wish, then add the server details:

Address: placeholder-software.co.uk
Port: 6702

Help, Something Broke!

I’m certain I’ve forgotten to configure something properly, and I haven’t tested the exact modpack I’ve uploaded (I’m running with all supported mods) so if something breaks it’s probably my fault. Give me a @mention in this thread, or a PM on this forum, or talk to Nyarlathothep in game and I’ll try to fix it ASAP!

Multiplayer 101

Kerbal multiplayer has a few slightly odd features which you should know about if you’re new to DMP.

There is a Safe Zone around the launch pad (1Km radius) in which no vehicles will ever be synchronised. This is to prevent crashes on the launch pad when 2 players launch at the same time. Of course, 1Km is actually quite small in terms of rocket launches, so you may want to check you’re not about to rear end someone when you launch!

In Atmospheric flight vehicles will not be synchronised until they are very close (5Km iirc). This doesn’t apply in space, and you can see other space vehicles anywhere in the solar system.

When Time Warping you will fast forward time for you and no one else, this puts you in a “subspace” which shows your vehicles as they are. You will see vehicles from people who are in the future (you see a recording of what they did) and you will see vehicles from people who are in the past (you see a projection of where they will be, this may flicker around as they make small maneuvers and they’re projected forward in time). You can synchronise you any other subspace in the future, allowing you to truly interact with ships controlled by other players in real time.

Part Restrictions are enforced on launch. If you somehow get into the server with incorrect parts installed you can construct a rocket using the parts but when you try to launch the server will disallow the launch and inform you of which parts are not allowed. This shouldn’t ever happen but if (when) it does please inform me of the exact part name which is restricted and I’ll try to fix it.

I really wish CKAN had profiles with a virtual file system similar to Mod Organizer for Skyrim so it can just load the addons I need for a given setup.

1 Like

Module DarkMultiPlayer required, but not listed in index, or not available for your version of KSP

Error!

Looks like he doesn’t like to install outdated mods using .ckan files
So i installed them using a batch file and command line commands:

Got that error:

KWRocketryRedux=3.0.2
Unbehandelte Ausnahme: CKAN.TooManyModsProvideKraken: Too many mods provide KWRocketryRedux-power:
…

I think he can’t handle that selection thing with automated installation.
Solved that by uninstalling and installing it again in CKAN

After that I tried to connect. Repsonse: Mod check failed.
Reading through the messages it seams like he missed the SpaceY expanded mod
installed that through CKAN

–> Success

Well this is frustrating, CKAN allows you to export metapackages (that’s the CKAN file I distributed). Metapackages specifically include the version of installed mods, so I thought CKAN would install that version… I guess not :frowning:

The modpack includes an old version of DMP which is not technically compatible with 1.1.2 and I guess it doesn’t like that!

For now, I guess you’ll have to manually install DMP until it’s updated on CKAN.

That was my fault, I accidentally included my personal choice (graduated response) in the CKAN file. Should be fixed now.

SpaceY is included in the modpack, so I have no idea what could cause this… If anyone else can duplicate this problem please tell me :slight_smile:

What a mission to get onto the server…

That ckan installation file does not work out of the box, there are a few modules that are not supported, not just DMP and the KW Rocketry setup is missing a module. Easiest way to make this work is the following.

  • Go to your KSP folder, open the readme.txt and change Version 1.1.2 to Version 1.1.0
  • Download and install this ckan package
  • Server is using a bleeding edge ModuleManager, so you need to replace ModuleManager.2.6.23.dll with ModuleManager.2.6.24.dll in the GameData folder, you can find it here (direct or thread)
  • Go back and change the version back to 1.1.2
1 Like

Communication satellites are up, they are named COMMS-MAIN-A/C, connect to one of them and you should be fine anywhere in the system as long as there is LOS. I couldn’t pack them any tighter, think if a Kerbal farted there would be a larger margin of error… :wink:

Also, Martin, you forgot to add Kerbal Engineer Redux, it works fine client-side though.

1 Like

I’m confused now. I was about to ask why you set up new comm sats.
Now after looking ingame I have a different question.
Are you playing on a different server then I am?

I can see a lot of C1 satellites, a Deep Space Comms 2 satelite in polar orbit and to survey sats… and no COMMS-MAIN-A/C
And I’m pretty sure they were all set up by Martin - because I had a chat with him ingame while he did it.
So where are you playing? Was your server empty when you started building the network?

I just added the 3 COMMS-MAIN satellites, you might be a few days behind in the simulation, DMP works like that iirc, or you don’t have the Kerbal Engineer Redux mod…

1 Like

I’m online now and there are no others online.
So there is no sync button for me to press…
Do you see the Satellites that I mentioned in my post?

I can try to install the kerbel engineer redux mod later. But it’s only on the whitelist so it shouldn’t be necessary to have it.

1 Like

So while checking my installation i noticed that i didn’t have the Outer Planets Mod installed.
I can’t see it in the CKAN file you provided @martindevans (but it wouldn’t have installed automatically anyway because it’s outdated…)
The part that worry’s me is that I was able to join the server with AND without it - that thing moves planets so it could crash the server or corrupt our savegames.

Also the issue that I couldn’t see his satellites was resolved after I installed Kerbal Engineer Redux mod.
So I guess that should be moved from whitelist to required.

1 Like

Good idea. The modpack is using a lot of mods which are not technically compatible with 1.1.2 because it only realised a few days before the server opened and mods hadn’t all updated. I had hoped the CKAN modpack file wouldn’t care about version incompatibilities…

Hopefully in a few days I’ll be able to distribute a new modpack which is all 1.1.2 compatible and this won’t be a problem!

This is a bit risky. This CKAN doesn’t specify any versions (it’s a “CKAN Favourites List” not a “CKAN modpack”). You could end up with versions of mods more advanced than the server which could break things in subtle ways.

Odd, I see 2.6.24 on CKAN (I’m looking at it right now). Do you not?

Afaik KER doesn’t add any parts so I didn’t add it to the pack, but it is on the whitelist. If I’m wrong about that I’d better update the pack asap!

On a semi related note, I do see the new commsats so I’m not sure what the problem is for Nos_Fi. My guess is it’s a time syncing thing - currently the server is set to put you back into the same time bubble as when you left + the amount of real time which passed while you were offline. So if you are far in the past you won’t see the new comsats yet. I could configure it to put players into the latest subspace when they login if you like? That would keep players generally more synchronised in time.

It’s not in the modpack. It’s not been updated for v1.1 yet, let alone 1.1.2! If you have it installed now… you probably shouldn’t. In fact I’m surprised you can even join the server with it (since it’s not on the whitelist)!

Modpack Update

Given the troubles people have been having I’ve updated the modpack and uploaded it to the same location as before. It’s just a few updates (mostly for 1.1.2 compatibility) so if you’re already on the server it’s probably nothing critical.

Since you last posted several mods were already updated and the version numbers present could not be installed, my approach was to get on the server, something that was not possible even with manually adding mods. Are you sure you are on the latest ckan version, that file was produced by the “Export Installed Mods” command?

Again, at the time of writing .24 was not on ckan and not even on ModuleManager GitHub releases page.

Yeah, it adds parts.

You might have Kerbal Engineer installed, I was on the server with Nos_Fi and syncing did not help, he needed to install the mod.

Also, another half a dozen mods have been updated since a few hours ago…

That’s the problem - if you’re running the latest version CKAN has (and the server will always be a little behind) you’ll eventually find a version incompatibility. The CKAN files with versions should allows you to install old versions, since that isn’t working I may raise an issue on the CKAN github.

Rather subtly the export option has further options in the file type drop down. A favourites file just lists mods, a modpack enforces exact versions (also you can see I’m running 1.16, which seems to be the latest):

I’m really confused by this, not too sure what’s going on :confused:

Are you perhaps filtering by compatible mods only on CKAN, that’s the only thing I can think which would make it be different for us.

Oops :flushed: what does it add?

I’ve updated the modpack to require KER now.

I do, and that would definitely be why he couldn’t see the satellites if he didn’t have the parts installed locally.

They should all be in the updated modpack I released 31m ago :wink:

I don’t know Martin, the file you provided was not working and it was complaining about mods that it shouldn’t have, since you had the version numbers there. I copied over my KSP directory, uninstalled all mods, did a clean install and the server was still complaining about the ModuleManager version. As for Kerbal Engineer, it adds Engineer7500 and EngineerChip parts.

1 Like