The Kerbal Space Program Thread!

It begins! Gonna try to sort that out in a second. One of my buds from my physics classes wants in as well, can he get whitelisted?
Username is: N8K9

Added you both.

Installed! I’ll be on this weekend hopefully. My only other wish for mods are the near future packs but sadly they all aren’t balanced/updated yet or I would have suggested it. Oh, b9’s procedural wings mod would be nice, but that requires a manual update and its not worth dealing with… I’ve been spoiled by CKAN.

I did the 64bit hack so I’m running 64bit windows with all the graphics goodies like hot rockets, astronomers pack, and scatterer(It’s new and BEAUTIFUL, it makes the atmo look like an atmo, it’s kind of buggy when you’re really zoomed out though). I haven’t experienced any bugs, and a career game breaking bug in .90 was magically fixed, so you can finally upgrade your builds outside of changing your persistent file. I’ve only done a few launches to make sure everything worked but it seems fine. If anyone is interested I can point you to the post that walks you through it. Tbh it’s probably easier to dualboot to linux. I’m just lazy and haven’t dualbooted my pc yet.

I’m sorry to say it, but that ā€œPresistent Rotationā€ mod is the worst thing that exists, your ship keeps rotating after you have aligned it to target, it kills Mechjeb and gives you a headache. Can you please remove it, @martindevans?

Also, what happened to KW Rocketry and we are now at some 20 odd mods from a list of 5-10?

Yeah after trying it last night I’m not a massive fan of persistent rotation either. I love the idea, but it does make flying with mechjeb a pain in the ass :frowning:

Since it’s just a dll you can probably uninstall it and the server won’t complain, if it does I’ll look into removing it later.

We don’t have KW because it’s a part pack and I avoided part packs for the basic set (given how many problems we had last time). If this set is stable for everyone KW will probably be the first thing to add.

I don’t know what happened with this installation, but it is horrible. A perfectly stable rocket wobbles beyond control form around 6k altitude and there are little spaceships raining from around 6k-8k altitude! Do we have some grief mod on there, is everything alright with the installation?

1 Like

I played a fair bit last night with a friend of mine and we both managed to get multiple rockets up into orbit, no unusual wobbling experienced. Do you experience the same wobbling problems in single player with this mod set, if so try uninstalling FAR and trying again (that seems like the most likely thing to cause wobbling, apparently FAR is more unforgiving in this version).

As for the little rockets raining down I expect that a reverting thing. If you revert when you break up there are now two copies of the rocket on the server, the old (completely uncontrolled, breaking up) rocket and your new one. So my guess is it’s probably the debris of your previous launch raining down!

I’m going to be out this evening (leaving now, back in about 4-5 hours), so I’ll look into this in more detail when I get back.

Alright, there are rockets shown as ā€œlandedā€ when you switch to them they are still firing their engines while being suspended in mid-air, orbital velocity reading is also getting stuck in mid flight…

I’m gonna leave this for a few days…

/edit
Removing FAR seems to have helped with the wobble and I killed all the rouge craft.

I hadn’t used it yet, and I didn’t think about mechjeb since I never use it either. I can see why mechjeb gets mad because mechjeb abuses the physics bug to cancel rotation by time warping. I have no problems with removing it if it causes problems though.

I have to say though, the fact your ship keeps rotating is the whole point, I enjoy the extra challenge but I can see it may not be for everyone

And why would your ship just keep rotating in random directions with no forces applied to it and according to the body that it’s orbiting, gravity doesn’t make things rotate?

I think it would be rather fun to see how long a station with 10+ docked modules lasts when random rotation is applied to it.

If you start a rotation, on purpose or on accident, it would persist forever until corrected, for exactly the reasons you stated. No forces should stop it.

Why should a ship stop rotating just because you warped time…It breaks the conservation of angular momentum :wink:

I agree. The reason I wanted it is because we could rotate stations for artificial gravity. It doesn’t do anything to kerbals, but it’s nice to think that it does, and adds extra engineering challenges to withstand the rotation.

Play with it a bit and see what you think, looks like it’s client-side anyway. IMO it’s the worst mod out there.

It’s worth following the FAR Github repository if you want to report or track issues. The developer is pretty responsive and accepts patches

2 Likes

Basic RemoteTech communication network is up, satellites are named COMMS-KC, you just need to connect to one of them and it will relay to mission control, they have the largest antenna available. I tried to setup the orbits as tight as possible, they are down to a few km, but undoubtedly they will drift a little…


2 Likes

I think I found the stability issue, scaling down the largest components one level down introduces the wobbling, looks like the connections are not scaled down properly by TweakScale, using the unscaled parts in the same rocket has no wobble issues.

I added two comms satellites to the Mun and one to Minmus, you should be alright with remote drones on both of those moons now. Also, there are now mapping satellites in Kerbin, Mun and Minmus polar orbits, you will need to switch the mapping equipment on and wait a little to get complete maps. And of course the primary Kerbin communication satellites needed a bit of tweaking, orbits are now even tighter.

I build this thing today…It’s shown here on it’s first flight ever…after removing some Oxidizer to lose ~15 tons it got even nicer. It’s ~154 tons with the 40 ton payload I had in it which is a payload fraction of 26% which is pretty damn good. It had ~300 dv after reaching a 100km x100km orbit. On the runway it had a a TWR of .5 which is pretty low but she chugs to orbit!

Not at all an original design so I can’t take credit for it. I tweaked some of the wings/engines to my preference but the design is basically copied from someone who gets a 35% payload fraction with a longer cargobay and more cargo.

Apologies for not taking the time to read through the thread (again), but is there a website or download source for the I:B ā€œofficialā€ KSP modpack? I’d love to get in on the fun, Red_Syns for whitelist. Thanks!

Hey Red…it’s been awhile since martin has hosted the server or that I’ve been on it. I’m not entirely sure if it’s still up. By now there have been many changes and 1.1 is on the horizon so I’m not sure what the plans are.

@martindevans?

The server is in something of a state of disrepair at the moment. I’m mostly waiting until KSP1.1 comes out with windows 64 bit support - this will (hopefully) fix the persistent crashes several people were having.

TL;DR hopefully soon

1 Like

Bumping this thread to highlight Giantbomb East’s recent KSP videos. The latest features Scott Manley! :smiley:

3 Likes