Exactly!
I totally enjoy the star citizen drama, but I also enjoy the tech they come up with (their planet tech looks pretty amazing). So why not all calm down a bit? I’m pretty sure I will buy the game once its released (or If…) but that doesn’t stop me making fun of their crowdfunding methods for example. There’s no need to take sides.
A bare assertion is not necessarily the naked truth.
Summary
![]()
Totally agree with this. I’ve invested enough money in this game that I want to see it launched, but not enough that I need to. If the project crumbles, part of me will piss myself laughing at the people that sunk small fortunes into it, but another part of me will despair at yet another failed space gaming dream.
But on the other hand, I look at how the project is progressing and wonder how they ever plan on releasing anything the way they’re developing it now.
Topperfalkon, I think you nailed it. Couldnt agree more. Its exactly the same with me. I wasnt that pessimistic about the progress (as I dont care for the timeline), also the land-selling thing didnt bother me that much, or lets say, equally to what it did in SOTA. As mentioned, IMHO Garriot does outsell the Ultima series way more obvious starting at the point while it was in deeply in development and far from being released (and still outsells, look at the SOTA shop) disturbes me waaay more as I am a huge fan of the ultima series since the begining. It seems each asset is only being created to make money. And they even don’t look good. Looks like outselling game dreams is an ex-origin-thing 
But the latest legal thing of SC really bothers me too if there is any thruth in the Crytek statements. They must have been aware of the contractual restrictions if they do exist. How dumb.
But as you said… enough money to be interested to see something launched, enough to be pissed for half a day if it doesn’t, but not enough not to move on if it fails. The sadest thing would be that the wait for a good space game being in the works would have to continue.
Anyway, the legal issue may become one of the more interesting events in the game’s development period up to now… 
Well we do have Star Citizen to thank for shining a light on the space game genre again. SC and ED have really brought back the genre. Which helps games like I:B. But SC has also sucked the life out of crowd funding backers as well. I did put way more into SC than I should of. Getting a refund was still the right choice for me, as I lost all confidence in CR and the project.
40 Minutes before the long awaited holiday presentation that was teased for months, and yesterday even on IGN, they delay it for 24 hours due to “technical issues”.
Even the fanboys are furious.
This train(wreck) has no brakes!
Im looking forward to when the people who tried to actually “pay to win” get a dose of PvP ingame, many already do when a starter ship dominates their “$200” superhornet continuously in AC. Or when the “grey market” that has all the ships massively overvalued crashes once people notice you can get the ships in-game for less effort than the inflated pledge price would indicate. Plenty know its coming, but SC has too many backers for there not to be a swath of people who make a spectacle about that, it will quickly become obvious who pledged for an advantage vs who pledged to support the game.
also cough @kamui please don’t use zen’s posts as a tutorial
Everything I’m reading so far says PvP is currently impossible, given the inability of the server to reliably update player positions (and frame rate issues).
toxicity increasing… tone it down gents…
Presentation starts shortly
Here, watch this instead (below). Far more interesting than that boring SC video stream. 3fps gets a little nauseous to watch after 15 minutes.
SG1 and Urgo’s best moments from one of the best SG1 episodes.
Sadly they showed what I expected, one scripted gameplay sequence after another, the player basically did nothing other than walk around and click ok, and If that alone weren’t bad enough the FPS and animations were terrible.
Well credit where it 's due.
SQ42 vertical slice: (even though it was pre-recorded and a long way off from running on your average gaming pc).
That flight from space to planet, flying over the landscape with structures and buildings embedded on the cliffs.
Very impressive artwork
Also impressed with the female character work.
I think the lighting is also pretty well done.
That sepia tone post effect does not work for me, but that’s personal.
First person shooter bit was terrible.
Flight model is a missed opportunity for them, but that makes I:B 's FM a unique and valuable asset. (so I should not complain that SC FM is a joke).
The rest of it was excruciatingly boring and badly paced for me, even considering that it’s WIP and, oh, apparently pre-alpha, now.?
The latest musings posted yesterday. Interesting stuff to say the least…
‘On a more serious note, Crytek hired one of the top law firms in the US, Skadden. A law firm with so many accolades, that my guess is that Ortwin’s heart probably skipped a beat when he found out who was suing them. Forbes once called them “Wall Street’s Most Powerful Law Firm“. These are the same guys who won a $500M judgement in the Zenimax v Oculus case. They neither take on small cases, nor do they take cases that didn’t have any merits or a chance of them winning.’
Well, the 3.0 PU is still very buggy, but AC has been the bane of countless overconfident superhornet pilots for years now like i mentioned. While there are still issues in AC, a few tournaments were hosted during the 2.6.x period and they went pretty well for the most part. The big issue with SC’s PU combat compared to AC has always been the need to aim an additional, hard to predict amount ahead of the target’s velocity vector to actually deal damage due to the PU server setup. From my own testing in the 3.0 PU this factor is either eliminated or significantly reduced. Right now we’re left with framerate issues and balance issues due to all the new item 2.0 stuff that just got implemented and the latest round of flight tweaks. Shields also got a complete overhaul with new regeneration, hardening, shifting and “drag” mechanics and time to kill was increased significantly, so things like regen rate, weapon charge and heat is in flux. As for the flight model changes, WIP, but it’s still better than most garbo already the market even with up and down patches. There’s also plenty of new bugs, but eh, old bugs like the shield bug and input locking appear fixed, so it’s not as if they’re accumulating, they just appear with progress as is expected with any project undergoing big changes.
With the delta patcher they’ve shifted to releasing updates more or less every other day, so hopefully we see more of that rapid iteration quickly even after it goes live, which is apparently tomorrow.
@ the rest of the thread
I wonder why people who dislike a project to an extent would watch hours of livestream content(again and again! how do you find time!), spend hours reading third party blogspam about it and then come to the I-Novae forums to post their fourth hand opinion. There are plenty of games I dislike but even the absolute dumpsterfire worst of them would never get and haven’t got this level of uh, attention.
http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/procedural-cities-and-the-anniversary-special-schedule-140669
Happy Holidays from RSI
December 22nd, 2017
Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 goes Live tomorrow. The latest build is currently in open PTU for all backers to play, but we’ll be make it an official Live release tomorrow to get more eyes and ships into the 'Verse to help stress test and identify the bugs to smash in the new year.
Now that the team had completed the heavy lifting to get the tech, content and systems for 3.0, they can focus on optimizations, feature consolidations, and polish for our first quarterly release
Looks like we (at least those who backed) can get our hands on Alpha 3.0 today. Looking forward to see how it really performs and plays.
With regards to the SQ42, I think I there were pros and cons to observe, need to watch the stream once again for my final rating.
I could make a list, not bothered to, so to keep things light:
Entertainment value for our money, cause were not getting a game out of this? 
Most successful kick-starter campaign of all time. That attracts attention
Many, many, many people have many, many issues with this particular developer for many, many reasons.
Where have you been the past 6 years?
They create the drama and interest themselves by for instance declaring their tech “never been done before” every time they make a public statement, they make false claims and lie… So people are going call them out on their behaviour.
Watched the SQ42 stream yesterday. Quick random personal thoughts:
- as usual I like the overall art quality and variety. They’ve got an army of artists working for them and it shows.
- NPCs range from high quality ( captain, Mark hamill etc… ) to ps3-like ( random npcs ). Pretty incoherent.
- still lots of little animation glitches
- still worried about framerate, not sure if the slowdowns were coming from the stream or the game, but if they came from the game, considering there are no other players as an excuse and it was pre-recorded ( so probably best pc setup they have ), it’s a concern…
- worried about gameplay / fun: that was a single mission ( not even an entire one ) and it was quite boring to watch. If all other missions are like that…
- the seamless transitions are cool but also generate a lot of downtime.
- I found the audio effects, especially during fights ( sequence in rings and ground infiltration ) pretty bad, but the good news is that it’s very easy to address - assuming they realize they need to be reworked…
- the UI looks atrocious but maybe it’s just me. Especially the system map to travel, on top of the radar.
- the space ambience/mood, the background music, the “space weather” ( although quite unrealistic ), all of that was really cool and well done