I get you like being incredibly hyperbolic on this topic but you might want to like, consider apologizing for that statement before someone whose entire life has been destroyed by gambling addiction notices. What a ridiculous statement. Even that $25000 the guy who wanted a refund for isn’t even close to the severity of real life gambling addiction where people lose their homes and entire savings, and good luck getting a refund from a casino, they won’t be as friendly as CIG is.
Other games that actually prey on gambling addiction through randomized rewards and hidden drop rates are also like, significantly further ahead. SWB2 was estmated at around $5k for all the shit, but the important thing to realize it that you could easily end up needing 30k or just 1k for that. The randomness is operative factor in gambling addiction, and is why it’s so addictive, that element is just entirely missing from star citizen.
I don’t think it is gambling like…
It shows something else. Chris Roberts knew it as well and capitalized on that.
Lot of people really very much want this for real. Not as a game. For real.
But since its impossible …well we humans always go after the next best achievable thing.
When they vigorously defend SC they don’t defend just the game.
I think this is what makes mmo games so different, compared to other games.
And this got way out of control.
Frankly i wouldn’t mind if they would just made it into single player game …a Freelancer 2.
With some coop possibilities. Just like first Freelancer …or Evochron.
…and seeing how over-saturated the multi-player arena games market is…well lets just hope for the best.
Maybe you should apologize for being an SC apologist trying to push a pyramid scheme that is now 4 years in the making with little to nothing to show for it; that may very well collapse at any moment. But please, go on about the amazing job CIG is doing, including getting sued by Crytek.
I hope the Crytek vs CIG trail will be public, It would be so interesting to watch.
I lost faith in the project when they decided to sell a virtual fish tank for real money (6$). Apparently you even have to stock it with fish you can buy: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Fishtank/Ribbon-Fish-Vario-Vittas
A virtual star citizen fish is more expensive than buying a neon fish in real life. DISCLAIMER: multiple fish instances not yet supported
OMFG I thought this was a joke you made but its reality!
What bothers me the most about this whole virtual space ships insurance selling is that the customers don’t think of the money they spend as a contribution to the developement of the game but as buying a real thing. Just look at the star citizen subreddit, every once in a while a noob will ask them what ship to buy and they immediatly start explaining the various ways to best spend money on ships and which ship is best suited for what imagined play style.
They still think that these huge ships for thousands of dollars will be played by a crew of hundreds of players! Seriouly, CIG cant even get 10 people on a server without the game crapping out but these people unironically believe in 200 player crews on one ship! Not even thinking about what gameplay content is needed to entertain 200 players on a single ship or if people even want to play as janitors on some guys ship.
Chris Roberts pitched this nuts and shitty idea and they eat it up.
I get selling in-game shit as part of crowdfunding, but I do think SC is taking the piss now; their original crowdfunder got a lot more than it needed, and should have been more than enough to deliver their original scope. I’m also concerned about the long term viability of a game that has already sucked so much money out of its market even if it does get released.
At the moment though, CIG is more than happy to just keep selling dreams, without any particularly tangible idea as to when they’ll be made into reality. I worry that by striving to be the “best space game evar” they’re going to struggle to satisfy everyone.
Of course, this court case is another spanner in the works that was probably completely avoidable.
@TARS I think federal court transcripts tend to get published at the end of the trial.
You are right that it’s not the same thing as gambling. But it seems that at least for some of the big SC spenders it triggers the same reward system in their brains.
Gambling isn’t so much about winning as it is about the rush they feel when they take that risk of putting their money on the line. The bigger the risk, the higher the rush.
I expect that for some of the backers, each time they spend money on another ship, they feel that same some sort of rush. Which compels them to continue doing the same thing over and over again.
Very much like gambling.
[–]TheEternalSeptember[S] 8 points 16 hours ago
I’m incredibly embarrassed to admit it but $12,800.00… I had a gambling issue before and I guess CIG became my new addiction. It was money I didn’t have, I was stupid and I’ve learned my lesson since then (including having therapy).
For all the bullshit above, you guys make me ask myself if I really want to continue to be part of this community. JonnyRedHed you just spam your get a refund GIF and it just gives me the envy to get a refund of I:B. I don’t recognize myself in such a community.
As a gamer, I really do hope that they do put out a fantastic and memorable game. More (space) games is always a good thing.
That said, I don’t see this happening. CIG keeps tacking on more and more features without actually having a strong base experience to build upon, and some of these features are just money grabs.
For all the bullshit you keep injecting in the community about a game that is virtually non-existent after 4 years, $150 million and barely able to run, then I’d be more worried about an SC refund if I were you. As for being a member of this community, well, if you prefer to be a part of a toxic community that mercilessly attacks anyone who dares question the state of the game and even makes death threats, then maybe you should stay in your beloved SC community.
Here we welcome all opinions of all games and if people see a disaster coming down the pipe, they are going to say something. This includes Battlefront which some would say I’m a rabid fan - the only difference being that I’m not going to cry about negative comments; in fact I welcome them because they are integral in pushing pass the PR and keeping Developers honest. Speaking of which, if I were to point at one singular contributing factor to Star Citizen’s woes it would be the stifling and censorship of supporters - CIG only wanted a slick PR environment to push their product and they got exactly what they wanted by manipulating the community: complacency. Sorry but there is no complacency here and if valid opinions are such a bone of contention for you then maybe it isn’t the community that needs re-evaluating…
Got to hand it to them, pretty animations.
No Uncanny valley feel to it…i like it.
That eye movement made the scene.
Oh… come on man, you will never please everyone.
And also you will never be friend with everyone. Why bother ? Ignore what you don’t like.
It is absolutely same everywhere.
Stay and enjoy what you enjoy and ignore what you don’t.