Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Don’t forget to check out the I;B thread over on the SC forum and to give the first OP post a vote. Its got 8 at the moment, but could do with more to keep it up near the top. So mention this to your SC buddies to give the OP first post a quick + vote. Ta. * voting for other I:B thread posts is also recommended :slight_smile:

1 Like

How difficult game development can be.

3 Likes

Fixed that for you.
(That rendering really is sexy trough, I wonder how well it performs on current hardware. Would be nice to see to stuff like this in games.)

2 Likes

well that your point of view.

I mean, I’m not sure how you define it as anything other than feature creep. There’s been at least 3 years of feature creep at this point

2 Likes

This isn’t feature creep, it’s feature creep’s insidious little cousin, implementation creep: The feature is a UI which is a basic functional requirement. However, a UI can be implemented a number of different ways. Implementing it as a hologram attached to the characters arm and having entirely different interaction paradigms based on the tech level of the planet it’s on is clearly going to require more resource than your average UI.

2 Likes

Technically you’re right hrobertson. And you too pewpew, no need to argue it really. I was just making a joke about the SC’s bumpy development. :slight_smile:

Aleon & Topperfalkon, did guys pledge good money for Star Citizen ? But they are lot Star Citizen fans who came to give good money for IB.

But also lot of member of this forum are devs or IT something working hard. Deep in code dealing with bugs and algo under a commercial bizness pressure . so yeah like Arken & the crazy flying russian bird say before. i love all cows and milky boobs.

:wink:

4 Likes

only to CIG.
They have the rare capacity to make seem hard to do features that are standard in most games of the last years.

2 Likes

Can you develop your rhetoric argumentation , or explain with examples or just troll vaguely for pleasure ? You a have theory or information that we need to be aware ? Or just troll i will not argue. :wink:

2 Likes

You are right Aleon. I agree with you.

1 Like

why on earth I have to waste my time on you?

1 Like

Oh, that’s feature creep for sure. It’s the classic “Hey, this would be better, and we know exactly how to do it.” The only form of “implementation creep” that I’ve ever experienced is “over-engineering”. That’s not about features, but just engineers creating solutions that are far too elaborate/complex/sophisticated for a given feature.

keep “da money flow” lol

and thanks for the show everybody “i start to clap slowy”

so on next episode " will IB follow the same bizness process schema like Star Citizen ?" please keep following your space-soap the drama/comedy show on https://forums.inovaestudios.com/ or how a StarUp with a bunch of FanBoys and 310K$ make space dream great again. :slight_smile:

No offense stay cool and thanks to to the modos. :innocent:

3 Likes

Yeah, yes I did. And SC has problems

1 Like

This is along the lines of the axiom “early optimisation is bad”.

I’ve got a funny personal story of ignoring optimisation until it’s really a problem or you have some spare time at the end of the project. My latest game was running nice and smooth even on my very low end test devices, but one day I noticed it was starting to lag a bit on less powerful phones. I had loads of beta testers at this point and nobody was complaining so I figured I’d have a look after the game was feature complete.

So last week I got around to looking at a few bug fixes and optimising the performance and noticed I’d accidentally put a render loop of ten images inside another render loop of 250 images. That meant I was making 2250 unnecessary alpha masked screen draws every frame. After moving a curly brace above that particular loop the game now runs like butter on low end phones again.

2 Likes

I am so glad I got a refund. gamescon1, 2.

These are funny. Look back a couple of pages.

3 Likes

Meh, its more fun when people make their own criticisms instead of linking to a page of confirmation bias fuel. Most of that a real reach, some of it is outright false, but im not going to spend time to argue a point that was lazilly linked

If you’re onboard the DS train i wonder why you ever backed to begin with honestly.

Because I have eyes Matt and the ability to sniff out a failing project by following the clues, such as the desperate Coutts bank loan. No big business goes to Coutts unless they have been turned down everywhere else and are desperate. This came from my friend who works for a big bank in the City of London.

DS just aided in coming to that decision last month. I’d been wrestling with the idea from late 2016 right up until asking for the refund, with my last ship purchase in early 2016. DS gets an awful lot of insider info now from good sources, better than he did 12 months or so ago. A lot can be fake, but also a lot appears to pan out.

If the project ever releases the game I backed in 2012/13, I’ll buy it for sure along with DLC passes for life. But the signs are bad now, real bad this long into development and to have so little to show for it game wise. A game engine that falls over when approaching 16-24 max players. A massive multilayer game that still after 6 years of development cannot hold more than 24 players is a bad bad sign. One or two medium to large ships could max out the games player count.

I watched the streams today and they were terrible. If this is all being done so that CR’s big stage event can reveal some hidden highly advanced build of the game, then I might eat my words. But I seriously doubt it.

I would love to be proved wrong, I really would, but as I said above I have eyes and a keen sense of sniffing out bullshit and lies. And that’s why I went ahead and got my refund. And put the money towards far better things like my pets vet bills and saving for a new computer to play I:B.

1 Like

A loan at the interest rate they got(1.5%) from the lender they got is an extremely low risk loan and nearly at the inflation rate. If you, not your “friend who works at a bank” know anything at all about finance, those kind of loans are only received by companies in very strong standing. You need to be aware that they have a studio in 3 different counties, but store funds in two of those. It can make a lot of sense to get an extremely low interest loan in the short term in the one we know they aren’t storing their funds, then pay it back when the currency exchange rate is better, or when you can fit it into a different quarter for tax reasons. This is one of the countless examples of how easy it is for a tabloid or “competing” developer DS to twist normal business operations into a sign of apocalypse.

There’s no problem with the rest of your post, it’s good idea to just back off and pay a project no attention while waiting for it to mature. I’ve been dissapointed with their dev speed myself but being dissapointed with speed is not the same as indulging in and a pile of blatent horseshit and smearing it everywhere to fuel a confirmation bias, and thats what anyone who follows DS on the topic of SC is doing.

3 Likes