Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

You really don’t measure the reason of crowdfunding appearance I think. Nothing is going to kill what is the natural reaction of the actual economic system crossed with the Internet revolution. The reason of its existence is nearly anthropological, in the way that it is the natural direction of humanity in terms of economical and innovative (but risky) productions of tomorrow. The amount of creativity is too large for the actual investment system (and its closed and fearful way of thinking), and the crowdfunding system is one of the actual answer compensating this emptiness

Do you think that 10 000 accidents with google cars would slow down evolution of the humanity transport systems through ecological auto-piloting vehicles or it would stop it definitely ? Will the first dead humans on Mars stop the unconscious need of humanity to expand life beyond Earth’s clouds ? In its more modest scale, crowdfunding is one of these inevitable consequences of the Internet Revolution, where simple people unchain their brains from elitists, and help guys like CR to let try what he wants in memory of what he already provided…

1 Like

I think that even10 accidents with Google Cars would put an end to that enterprise, and severely hurt any other atuo-vehicle-named-whatever initiative in the process.
The Internet Revolution you speak of happend almost 20 years ago where I’m from. The crowdfunding revolution however is quite new and in many ways very fragile.
If CR doesnt let SC fly soon every other crowdfunded game will suffer.

1 Like

The Internet revolution started nearly 20 years ago but is still running, implying revolutions and acceleration on every domains, like in human transport, here. FYI, There already has been 7 accidents with the google cars, with one where the google car was guilty. Also, recently, somebody is dead with a Tesla S. Tesla cars are working better than expected by Musk and his investors on the current year.

Also, the 6 accidents where Google cars weren’t responsible was the total of accidents for a total of more than a million kilometers traveled

My conclusion is this: Chris Roberts himself is the biggest problem with Star Citizen, as he was with Freelancer.

2 Likes

I really fail to see what auto-piloted cars from Google and electric cars from Tesla has to do with crowdfunded games.

But even if you could be right on the fact that He could have difficulties to know when to stop himself, he’s also the man behind Star Citizen, a game in development that is already pretty impressive for the time of development considered.

To compare with one of the only comparable game, GTA5 has been developed in nearly 6 years, with an already functional big studio, and a Take-Two blank check to realize it. Please look at the context

They are both examples of inevitable systems.

Don’t be absurd. No-one is currently playing on SC’s planets, as far as I’m aware. How will their planets cope with mulitple players, players transitioning between planetfall and space, flying over the bits of the planet not carefully picked out and manually textured for the demos?

Also…

Keep it classy, I’m not trying to insult you, so I don’t see the need to resort to insults.

That’s wholly CIG’s fault. They should have stuck to their original goal, achieved it, then worked from there. But CR smelled money, so he promised the world.

These aren’t mutually exclusive. If I weren’t patient nor understanding I’d have asked for a refund already. What vexes me are the SC fanboys that latch on to any press that isn’t absolutely glowing (and even press that is) and insistently parrot that everything is fine and that SC is already the best game ever. Which is utter bollocks.

Well, if you’re picking, Braben is more the pioneer than CR.

10 years with one developer working for most of that time as a part time project. How many devs does SC have again? C’mon, this isn’t even an argument.

Sorta like Freelancer. Which didn’t get released until he was kicked off the project and his studio bought out by Microsoft. Only this time, they don’t have a big publisher to act like a sanity brake.

1 Like

The guys on scene in Gamescom and CitizenCon was playing on SC’s planets. Transitioning will behave like the transitioning between space and ships, it’s a change of what they called grid. Actually the change of grid operates where the atmosphere starts/ends.

C’mon, please don’t be so likely… ok I can go to 12 years old, but it’s a maximum :D. No I didn’t want to insult you, I just don’t like platonic debates with zero too high reactions, etc… it’s boring :wink: But come on ! React ! Tell me that SC is carp and that I’m gonna cry or whatever :smiley:

This was the wants of a little minority. Actually, a big majority of backers is ok with how it turns.

There is several toxic people on every community, on SC too. I can’t remember how many times I said this, but you can’t blame games company for that, it’s inherent from humans’ mass behavior.

Ok, I can give you that :slight_smile:

It is an argument. I didn’t start the incomparable comparison (nor you did, I think it’s SpaceJay or Zen). But there is an argument in it : both made something incredible. Build this technology is not possible for everybody.

On the contrary, they have the best sanity brake possible.

Exactly this.

1 Like

You consider someone like Topperfalkon as someone who has never been ‘on the counter-argumentation with your (my) args’? This is false - what a surprise. And the fact that Topperfalkon is really trying to be objective clearly demonstrates that even objectivity is a foreign concept to your special brand of logic. And yes, I spent more money than you to support Infinity but that doesn’t make me a fanboy. What would make me a fanboy is spending an inordinate amount of time on other sites trying to push the Battlescape agenda all the while trying to beat down anyone who disagrees with me. :wink:

1 Like

Please enlighten us about that.

Frankly, I don’t care if you’re going to cry. I just want to keep the discussion out of the gutter.

Of course, if you’re promising people more for their money, obviously they’re going to say yes. They shouldn’t have asked, they should have simply promised what they could have delivered.

I disagree, I think CIG profits from their supporters being emotionally attached. And those that are emotionally attached are more likely to defend it more aggressively. CIG can’t abrogate all responsibility.

Do they now?

1 Like

Heh. ‘Newspaper clipping.’

Balance between players patience and players impatience is the best sanity brake.

the rest is your opinion and I simply disagree with you. Cool exchange btw

How long is that? Before you started getting impatient, I mean. Genuinely curious there.
If they stopped releasing any patches now, how much time would you give them?

1 Like

XD

How is that a sanity brake. CIG know they can game players by building endless hype and only delivering a third of it with pretty moving pictures with the promise they’ll get at least a third again of that in maybe a year, and then push back maybe 3 times.

You know why? Because they get players emotionally invested, and make them need SC to succeed. They then suggest that those backers spend money in order to get access to better ships or a nice bit of shiny. Then the ones that invested the most have the most to lose, and because they are powerless to control the development process they try to will them on further.

With a publisher, if development is going off the rails, they just walk in and kick people off the project until they get a game that they can release. As long as they get a return on investment, they don’t care. Microsoft has a history of this, for instance, and CR knows that all to well.

Wrong. The sanity break is not about the players but Chris Roberts himself.
Unless someone stops him he’s going to go on and on and on and on developing SC into its own grave.

1 Like

If in 2020, there is no 1.0 release date at least, I would become very criticizing^^. I waited from the first day to now for Final Fantasy XV, which arrives on the 29 of this month. And I’m pretty disappointed how it turned about Tetsuya Nomura; I could have been waiting 5 more years to see what Versus XIII could have been with him from start to end, after all, the entire idea was his baby.

I’m personally really curious to see what an entire AAA game dev team could do with like 20 years of development. So the ones that get close to that interest me ^^