Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

What is cool with Newtonian physics is that nobody cares how you would call it. Have you some arguments like “Are you kidding me ? It’s just in front of you ! Listen to SpaceJay, when he’s wrong, in fact the Truth is lying” ?

I’m going to buy popcorn too, don’t wait for me

This thread:

2 Likes
1 Like

Just after Naiba’s video it is PERFECT :smile:

at 0:10, can’t stop laughing xD

1 Like

@spacejay, that video doesnt tell me where you think SC’s physics fall short. I want you to tell me what issues there are with star citizen’s flight model. Here’s an idea, you watch that video, then you tell me where you think things don’t line up.

You don’t fly in decoupled mode?

It feels unrealistic and superficial.

the important word in your sentence is “feel”. Are you trolling ?

Not an argument, a serious question.

But your feelings have nothing to do with whether or not it’s newtonian. because it is, again with exception of top speed. have you considered that your feelings are just outright wrong? Maybe you are assuming space combat should feel like ww2 figher planes.

Ok, mattk, SC’s flight model is based on Newtonian physics.

Is it a realistic version/interpretation, imo, not by a long stretch.

You mean, like in ED?

Funny thing is, according to RSI, the new iteration of the SC flight-model will be more like ED’s.

PTU for 2.6 is going to be fun. (sarcasm).

ED has a bad flight model, we’ll have to see what changes cig makes, if i recall its more along the lines of changing thrust power but other than that they’re not adding atmospheric drag or similar ED conventions.

Your arguments are just so stupid and disjoint, one minute the game doesnt exist and is a scam, the next your talking about features in future patches. Its like talking to someone with severe short term memory loss, im done.

1 Like

I was not supposed to say that one day, but I’m totally Hitler :smiley:

Just for a side note, this budget includes heavy marketing (lots off adds in theaters, television, on the streets, magazines, etc.).

If the dev is easly estimated around 125M$, there’s more or less 60 to 100M$ of marketing, which is the real undetermined factor. Information seems rather hard to find, one of the few articles I’ve found stating about those figures is this one.

So… yeah, I’m only half-surprised that 130M$ is still not enough. They’re still making aggressive ship sales after all.

Sure, innovation comes with a cost and takes time, no problem with that.
But they should really focus on keeping a deadline with fixed functionnalities instead of wanting ever more. Who cares if some game voicing is made with Sean Bean or whoever? This is pure polishing that sucks a lot of money.

Anyway, let’s see how it goes for beginning of 2017 and how the currently announced planning is holding up.

2 Likes

I thought this refund request was worth posting.

A very well crafted refund request. Polite but firm.

2 Likes

I totally agree. I think another parameter hard to handle for CIG is the way you’re optimistic/pessimistic on release dates/delays and how it impacts crowd-funding level in real time.

The difficulty is that there is no references of companies built on this system of investment.

Personnaly I’d have rather choosen the pessimistic estimations, now that the game cannot turn in a big fail due to budget (new and actual backers would not let this so hyped and exciting project go down imo). 3.0 middle 2017, no date on 4.0 (or 2018), and an estimated but really variable date (optimstically variable) for 1.0 release in 2020, and SQ42 ep.1 on Spring 2018 (even If I am pretty sure that end of 2017 should be ok)

This is starting to remind me of Freelancer. Once CR was off development it was released.
The Wing Commander games were campaigns driven by a story and once the story ended the game ended.
I dont think he can let go of things if the universe is ongoing. Someone needs to tell him that things are done.
There has to be a stop to things implemented into the game and a release of it.
It’s not hard to add things into it at a later stage and that will also keep the franchise going.

Edit/
It’s like George Lucas and his almost endless tinkering with the “original” Star Wars movies.

1 Like

This, I can mostly deal with.

This, I have no appetite for. Yet they still have a habit of infiltrating spaces of the internet I care about.

Dude… Braben was behind the original Elite. He’s the inspiration for practically every 3D space combat sim game ever made since.

Well, there’s no guarantee of anything. SC as it currently stands as shipped, I don’t see as being innovative. They may be working on innovative stuff, but I don’t believe anyone’s seen that yet or there’d be a lot less scepticism.

You can’t really compare SC against another unfinished crowdfunded game that got funded far later. As for DS, I still think Battlecruiser Millenium is more advanced, it just had next to no gameplay and was completely impenetrable to most players.

And yet they’re struggling to manage what INovae is working on with far less funding.

Prison Architect made monthly releases. On time, on schedule, only taking off some time to have a child. Yes, PA is a lot simpler, but ideally that’s how you do Early Access. Frequent releases and updates that don’t have to work perfectly but should show what you’re working on. Ideally, this is what I’d like INovae to do better at as well.

So you prefer non-existent PG planets then.

On the contrary, attempting to make it a game with FPS EVA would make it a terrible mess. It’s better to focus on one (or a few) thing(s) and do it well, than attempt to make many individual things that are nowhere near as polished.

Well, the best example we probably have to date of the cost of AAA marketing is NMS. Given that apparently HG didn’t use any of Sony’s money for development (probably a mistake), it most likely all went on advertising.

Which is another reason to be greatly concerned by their progress. It seem to be that it’s already having ramifications on the ability of other videogames Kickstarter campaigns’ ability to raise funds, possibly including the Battlescape KS campaign.

This.
My worst fear is that SC might kill off crowdfunding altogether. Endless development as long as the funds keep coming in.
If everyone stopped funding SC and said “Enough. Release the damn game.” things might move forward in a completely diffrent way…

2 Likes

If you are right (and it sounds like a matchable behavior regarding to CR’s personnality), then it has to be the most later possible. Like For Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy XV.

It just keeps me thinking that he is one of these great names of Video Games. And the most long time you let them play with game development before screaming them to stop and deliver, the most incredible game you have in return… For Final Fantasy Versus XIII, according to Roberto Ferrari, a incredible amount of work they did together has not been used on FFXV because of the direction change that forced to deliver the game maybe too early…

Because you cannot play it yet, it doesn’t exist ? What an argument ! Are you 8 years old ? I am not a stellar supporter so I can’t play on I:B planets yet, so they don’t exist ! Na ! My daughter would have better arguments…

Do you think PA would have been as well managed with the same pretensions than SC ? You don’t see that it was inevitable for SC, because of its unpredictable extraordinary campaign success.

No, that is another reason to be greatly patient and comprehensible with their progress.

So because Braben is an inspiration (and probably even for CR in 1990), CR cannot be an inspiration too ? The world is big, dude, enough place for two awesome dudes. Personally, Wing Commander (1990) largely looks to be a better experience (the best memories I have in video games from my childhood), than Elite 2 (1994), that I didn’t know when I was young and that seems to be very fun, but pretty ugly (comparing to WC) on the videos I just saw on YouTube)

edit :

But 10 years in the making. If you were honest, what CIG made in only 2 years on procedural tech was absolutely amazing.