Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

With a publisher, projects like I:B and SC could not exist.

Publishers can bring either good or bad things to the table - like democracy.

I suppose a better analogy would be ability to ride a bike without training wheels - the training wheels in this case being a publisher. If someone keeps falling off their bike time and time and time again, then they have proven they are not capable and need training wheels. This appears to be very much the case for CR.

You could not choose worst analogy :smiley:

Your analogy is only available on Teletubies’ world. But It is a good idea for an advertising :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, we are only here to help you ride this bike. Signed The World Company :smile:

The maker of Teletubies would do a better job on developing SC than CR. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

A procedural Teletubbies game would be fascinating to see. I guess NMS isn’t far off that :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

the sun with its baby face would be technically difficult… when you actually watched an episode you know it only could be adpted in a horror genre

4 Likes

Interesting statement. Maybe thats one of the reasons why there is such a controversial discussion ongoing between SC, ED and I:BS (just to name a few). I can totally understand that statement, and looking at gameplay that focuses on spacecombat I’d totally agree (so yeah for example in combination with I:BS). However looking at a game that focuses on exploration for example, and throwing in my personal taste, I would disagree.

I think ED is a very good example. Its main focus is exploration and the fascination of travelling between stars and systems (reaching the galaxy center at some point), and a lot of gameplay happens to reach a star/planet/etc via FSD, sitting in your cockpit. While its fascinating first (we all love the thought of travelling in space dont we?), you soon get used to the travelling part. One of the flaws of ED is IMHO that that the traveling experience is not filled with other gameplay other than… travelling. Yeah you can scan a bit or check your HUD while still keeping the spaceship centered to its target and speed, thats it. It would have been cool if this travell part which takes a lot of time in this game would have been filled with other elements (e.g. optimize/check/stack your cargo, check the ship for damages physically, go to different segements of the ship to study stations, systems, etc. etc.). Letting your ship go travelling while you do other things. Additionally, IMHO it feels much more immersive if you can see and feel your ship is really physically there (I got that feeling while playing ED with the oculus, however you’re still stuck in your cockpit - but it feels great). If youre just bound to a limited view range in your cockpit, it feels a bit like a fake (and depending on the implementation it sometimes is). And we havent talked about gameplay that happens on a stations, abandoned ships, etc.

IMHO all the above is not necessary for a game that focuses on combat - like I:BS. But for ED this is IMHO an important element, and I think also for SC (unless we all know what type of game it might become). Which might become, I hope, more an MMO than a simple spacecombat shooter - where you hopefully spend a lot of time walking in your ship or spending time on a spacestation or exploring a planet or left ship, or travelling between systems, rather than only combat. For me (personally) the FPS and EVA mode is as important as the cockpit gameplay, or even more.

So is a FPS mode more important than polished cockpit gameplay for gameplay such like in I:BS? Not at all! Yes. Would I prefer FPS and Multicrew-Ship gameplay even if it means compromises on quality of all game-elements for ED or SC? Absolutely! Its a must.

IMHO the question which elements are important and if various gameplay modes vs. polished single gameplay modes is to be priorized totally depeneds on each one’s taste and the total gameplay of each game. Which might be one of the reasons why SC is so controverse discussed, as nobody knows what type of gameplay it will focus on (once or if it will ever appear) while each one has a totally different expectation of what SC could be.

ONE really imersive element for traveling would be navigation.
Like get your exact positioning through analysing star position.

I disagree for I:B.

I find this is a terrible mess to not be able to do it in I:B, because you can’t totally understand scale without it. For example, what is your feeling about the size of the Hellion Corvette when you see it on the videos ? And when you land on a planet with it, only an EVA will make you really understand what is the scale of what you are seeing. Also, In terms of gameplay, to not be able to do ground-air defense on attackable locations, is a bit missing when you want to appreciate speed and size of space combat, almost on a game that permits you to see in real time space battles around a space station, from a ground point-of-view…

I’m not interested in making FPS-Combat in I:B like in SC, it’s just that it’s a terrible mess to understand the scale, it struggles the enormous potential of feeling you can have on such landscapes, especially if VR is available on the final product. It’s like volumetric clouds.

I know it’s difficult due to their context, but this details are for me not just options, they are a must, to help everybody feel the awesomeness of their work on procedural tech.

People don’t care if you tell them it is true-to-scale, you have to feel it when you play it. If you can’t guess the size of the Hellion naturally, it’s that something’s missing.

I hope EVA and Volumetric clouds will be the firsts patches when I:B will have succeeded

Just because it’s a must for you doesn’t stop it being your opinion. The community here has been having arguments about the pros and cons of walking around for an entire decade and it’s a can of worms that doesn’t need to be opened again; at least not while there’s no real possibility to implement it half-decently, limited budget and all. :wink:

Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be neat to see one day, post 1.0 as you’ve said, when the devs have the resources to pull it off.

3 Likes

didn’t say that was not my opinion. The community here ? I am part of, and I can speak of what I want, regardless your opinion on the fact we need to reopen it or not.

1 Like

Scale can actually be determined by proper markings of doors, hatches, and windows. When I see a door, I assume it is somewhere between six and eight feet, depending on the setting. On a ship, having navy experience, I assume close to six or less.

A proper FPS experience is not just something that can be whipped up in a fortnight, though. Especially when it would have to be custom made, given that the engine is unique. I’d bet on it being close to the last of any feature to be added because of this.

1 Like

Alright I wake up today and I’ve got 3 flags on just this thread. Some of you need to refrain from taking things so personally while others need to keep things civil people. Otherwise I’m going to lock the thread because we don’t have the time to constantly babysit it.

9 Likes

All of this ^^^ and it doesn’t even have to be an anthropocentric object. It just has to be a recognisable juxtaposition between large and small volumes. Hence why “good” greeble is so important.

1 Like

Personnaly I find nothing on videos I see to find out the scale precisely

For I:B? Um…that’s because those are extremely WIP models with limited texture work to give the illusion of scale. The videos are not an indication of the final product. Not sure what you are expecting, but it’s not an easy thing to get right. A 300k budget doesn’t help things much either.

1 Like

I understand

You can guess the size naturally, you compare it to an object of an already known size, like a shipping container, or a door… or a banana.

It doesn’t have to be a human.

Failing that, there’s the cockpit, which you know the size of the inside, so you can determine the outside volume from the exterior view

you search for it only if you want to know the scale. In real life you don’t need to search. I didn’t say we need something human. The cockpit is not visible from the main view. And for example, trees on the earth-like planet, how tall they are ? It could be 10m or 100m the two orders are relevant …

This scale has to be felt effortless for the final product consumers. Volumetric clouds could help too for the scale of the planet, but it is not enough to determine the scale of the ship consumer are flying with.