Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Perhaps instead of trying to blur the lines and diminish threats your time would be better spent on SC forums getting to the heart of the problem which is how CIG manipulates the community into a frenzy in the first place, often with bans to insure criticism doesn’t put a wet towel on sales. And instead of blaming ‘random’ internet threats your time would best be served finding out who this despicable Star Citizen fan is and at least attempt to have him banned. But no, I suspect that seeing this person banned is low on your list of priorities; you seem more intent on obfuscating this unacceptable behavior, no doubt being a Star Citizen fan has something to do with it.

Oh, so you ARE for internet vigilantism, you want me to spend my time doxing him and demanding websites ban people for offsite actions based on random people’s word! And not only that, but its all CIG’s fault that there are assholes on the internet, it has nothing to do with personal responsibility or anything of the sort.

Gee, you know that kinda sounds like a witchhunt! the sort of thing i was saying would result from this mentality. How would you like to scroll up and see what else happens when you have a group of internet vigilantes pretending to better the situation, signalling their own righteousness?

I think the word people came up with a few years back for people who do that sort of thing is “SJW”

1 Like

Yep, clearly you are more concerned with protecting and harboring SC fanatics than getting to the heart of the problem and meting out bans - which SC does all the time! In fact, they have meted out so many bans they ought to be called ‘The Star Citizen Inquisition’. It’s sad how you seem to find the time to come here and protect these scum and all the while ignore your own complacent culpability in all this.

And yes, if a fellow Battlescape supporter threatened someone else’s family I would attempt to get to the bottom of it and see to it they never visited this site again, or at the very least for a very long extended period of time. Of course it wouldn’t be up to me but I certainly wouldn’t pretend it’s business as usual. But that is the difference between you and me. You are more concerned about reputation, I’m more concerned about what’s right. But I have come to expect this kind of behavior from SC fans; seen it sooooooooo many times before.

Its kinda funny to see you devolve into typical SJW tactics. Not only am i “not hard enough” on internet threats, its now also my fault that people send threats on the internet, because im not as fervent a witchhunter as you. And because im part of the same vague group(sc player) as the “threatener” and dont think you should give idiots who send death threats attention, im automatically his ally.

2 Likes

Interesting that CIG took the time to ban Derek Smart for his off site comments about Star Citizen but ignores physical threats to fellow supporters? Anyway, I am calling it quits on this thread because clearly we are not going to agree in any way shape of form.

1 Like

Thanks JonnyRedHed, you are one of the few open individuals who isn’t afraid of negative comments and are willing to post them with positive ones - good on you.

Derek Smart got a refund, i dont know whether he got banned as well but likely it was for posts he made on the SC forums themselves, its not hard to imagine why the legendary one man Usenet flamewar himself might get himself banned… I wouldn’t actually be opposed to banning someone sending death threats offsite, but thats provided they get caught in such a way that doesn’t involve witching, doxing and similar public charades. Obviously, bluedrake is the only person who should be allowed to submit a report about something he received, and if a solid link cant be drawn between people even if they use the same name (how easy would it be to impersonate someone just to get them banned otherwise…), then absolutely no action should be taken.

Also, good job avoiding that topic you were trying to claim people were bad for discussing in preference of your obsession with how guilty CIG is for someone else sending a death threat to someone; How you just wish you could have fun dishing out internet justice all day and night.

This salt is obviously aimed at me, so in response im just going to pull my feet up onto my office chair and spin around laughing at how transparent you are.

1 Like

BD42 highlights a good point. Account holders should be able to lock down items to their account until they want to gift something. Not a perfect solution, but the fact that items are a tradeable currency is something that should be treated the same way a bank would. Things like IP flags or something which alert the user/CIG when a trade happens outside of “normal” locations.

I hope this also highlights to CIG if they want to continue this pledge system until beta that they need to treat people’s accounts just like a bank. No compromises.

4 Likes

It may surprise you, but it takes me quite a while to properly edit my posts with the intent purpose of removing as much ‘emotion’ as possible from my posts. Emotions aren’t helpful in discussions. Discussions are about logic and facts. Not about OMGTHEYJUSTSHOTAFRIGGINGORILLAHEYGUYSWENEEDTOSTOPEVERYTHINGWEAREDOINGRIGHTNOWANDDISCUSSTHETRAGEDYTHATISLIFERIGHTNAOWFORANEXTENDEDPERIODOFTIMENYOROMGWTFLOLBBQ

And just for clarity (again):

  • I am not playing down people threatening other people, nor did I ignore or defend any of their actions. You’re just assuming that
  • I have no reason to defend CIG, as I haven’t invested any money in SC, nor am I part of their community. How you come to the conclusion that I am sympathizing with them baffles me.

Talking about how threats are bad and inexcusable don’t improve the situation.
Talking about how people should go and commit something like doxing or internet vigilantism is worse than not improving the situation.
Ranting is okay. Ranting isn’t inherently bad. It is human.


@selbie If I did see it correctly, bd42 can track who gifts his ship to whom through the website. It is interesting to see this system, and makes me wonder if it can be used to ‘lock down’ content. Probably only good for tracking, hmmmm.

2 Likes

Yes it seems that CIG have done the minimum to be able to facilitate reversing a fraudulent transaction, most likely as a stopgap until they can put time into a further website upgrade (which is coming to improve a whole bunch of site features).

They responded to BD42 within 24hrs:

Will Leverett
Hi guys! Will Leverett here from CIG and RSI. Figured I’d add that we addressed this within 24 hours and he’s got his ship back. :slight_smile:
I’ll also take this opportunity to stress the importance of Two Step Authentication which is available at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/security. I strongly recommend using the mobile app as email accounts can get hacked, too.
Speaking of email security, you might want to plug in your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ which checks your email address against several hacked databases. You might be surprised at how many sites have your email address!
Have a good day everyone,
Will Leverett
Game Support Manager
Roberts Space Industries

That Have I Been Pwned site is a useful one to track the risk of attack on your accounts. :slight_smile:

Interesting, although not perfect. According to that site, my data was never compromised, which isn’t true *cough* Sony hack *cough*
I would suggest to also use this one to track yourself:
https://www.leakedsource.com/

funny sidenote: You might also get occurences, where someone used your nick. For example, half the sites listed there, I never heard of before x’D (But that’s my fault for using a rather common nick)

1 Like

Yes my nick comes up on Gawker of all places. I feel unclean even though it’s nothing to do with me D:

Dataminers just found Terra in the game files. The uploaded version on sketchfab is highly compressed, but still pretty fun to view.

2 Likes

Discussions are about whatever you make them to be. Some will respond indifferently to threats to someone’s family and someone will be outraged. Not all of us come from Vulcan and some of us aren’t punk ass kids living in their parent’s basement - we actually have families and children. And if people are not passionate about their children’s safety and the safety of others, well, then there is something very wrong with them.

No one here is saying death-threats aren’t disgusting.

What people are trying to tell you is not to ignore an entire argument because a death-threat was made, because we don’t want to only talk about death-threats and how disgusting they are till the end of time and nothing else.

So can we not do that? Please? I like talking about games and don’t want to need to stop doing that.

1 Like

Consider directing that passion somewhere sane. Building your children a lightning rod to play near is a better use of time than acting as a daddy slaughter tier cyberpolice, it has a much higher chance of saving their life one day, and a much lower chance of you ending up in prison after attracting social security.

The purpose behind people sending internet threats is to get a reaction and induce stress and mania. Even if you aren’t able to, the goal should be not to let them affect you.

edit: and what naiba said

Well, death threats are serious enough to warrant a lot more discussion than gaming economics if that is included in the video. If you want to talk about gaming economics, be my guest but clearly you just don’t get it…and I think it’s pretty clear you don’t have children to understand how serious death threats are. And if you do then I feel sorry for for your children because I think they deserve more than a parent that is more concerned about ships being stolen than their safety.

I do get it. EVERYONE here gets it. But this isn’t some new phenomenon, it’s not limited to star-citizen or even gaming itself, and it’s been talked to into the ground in more appropriate places already.

*If you want to talk about it, go make a thread about death-threats being bad, and then we can all agree with you that yes, death-threats are indeed bad.