You seem to be treating the two videos as one, instead of individually. He could have prevented a lot of grief if he had just framed his FIRST video in a calmer tone and expanded on the broader issue of video game monetization.
Threats must always be taken serious. Don’t be flippant and assume I don’t feel sorry for the shit he has been subjected to. He doesn’t deserve that.
Seriously? So because he didn’t frame it the way you wanted him to frame it, he had it coming? Well, given that you seem more concerned about how things are framed than the actual content…
Also your ‘Well as far as I can see it’s a rant video but also a totally justified one because he’s annoyed that it happened to him’ is very revealing. Everyone has the right to criticize. That’s why when a big county beats up small one simply because it can, I criticize and may even rant, even though it didn’t happen to me. And guess what it doesn’t need to happen to anyone - even you.
Oh FFS. I’m not saying he had it coming. I’m saying it likely happened that way BECAUSE he made the first video the way he did. My criticism of it is a result of my concern. Does that make any sense to you?
Nothing justifies threatening someone else’s family - not a video, not a format - nothing! And if monetization is all you take from this ‘rant’ then I guess there really isn’t much to say…
Well you could at least enlighten me on what you think the core idea of his argument is about. From what I understand of it, he’s saying CIG’s security issue is a direct result of monetizing their ships (criminals attracted to real money value exploiting a hole in security). He was saying it attracts those types of people which, in his view, shouldn’t be allowed to exist in games.
Drop the threat issue. Nobody deserves to be threatened and NONE of what I said was implying that he deserved it. If you took anything I said that way then you are completely mistaken.
I think you are both right. Some Star Citizen fans are batshit insane, threatening someones family over criticism of a game? Absolutely nuts. This community and the constant circle jerking each others off isn’t healthy and when the ‘finished’ product is released eventually they are going to implode, just like the no mans sky fans.
This is absolutely correct. But he also talked about fans and his family being threatened but you merely focused on monetization offering only a single sentence regarding this despicable behavior:
‘The same kind of crazies threatened Sean Murray so this is not exclusive to SC’
That’s not exactly a stalwart condemnation. In fact it looks more like an attempt to dismiss and trivialize. What’s more, I wonder how you would hold up after someone threatened your family? Anyway, I can see this is becoming a circular arguement and going nowhere. But I still like you selbie. And if someone ever threatens your family, I’ll send some Ninjas to make things right.
I agree. I think we are both right. Think really it’s a question of priority. For example, if someone is giving a lecture on poodle care and someone walks behind them and points a gun to their head then it’s no longer about poodle hair maintenance. It’s about the crazies who walk this earth.
.
It was not an attempt to trivialize, just to point out that those kinds of people are everywhere and not exclusive to SC. The fact that the monetized ships are probably exacerbating these nutjobs’ insecurity is not helping CIG at all. To be clear, Bluedrake got caught in the worst possible position and he is absolutely right to criticize it.
I have had personal threats myself so I am not unfamiliar with that feeling.
My army of drop bears is on standby if ever you are threatened Zen
I think that’s what makes this site so awesome: we can butt heads and put our differences aside like adults. That’s something they don’t do over at SC because critics are quickly dealt with - first by fanboys and should that fail, moderators. It’s to insure hype and sell, sell, sell. So I think it’s not only a question of monetized ships exacerbating nutjobs but CIG stacking the forum deck in their favor to insure white hot enthusiasm.
There was a point in SC’s history where the forums reached that critical mass where the ratio of fanatics to constructive discussion tipped the wrong way. I’ve never clicked on General Chat for several years now for that reason. There is an evil lurking there that does not sleep.
*sigh*
I think you didn’t understand (or didn’t want to understand) me…
Starting point:
I consider both videos as rant videos
Rant videos, according to my definition, are videos where someone rants about something
There is no automatic judgement of the person applied just by stating that he rants. It’s an observation. Like saying that the sun is bright, or that I regret buying the first decade collectors edition from ccp, now that they shut down Dust514, the game I was mainly getting that edition for, which I spent countless hours and quite a bit of munies in, and which shortly before the announcement finally turned profitable (according to Dust514’s devs).
Rant videos:
There was no sign of his family being threatened in the first video. All he talked about was his feelings about a hacker (who was a russian - according to him) stealing his ship
I assume that his family got threatened in reaction to his first video, that is the conclusion I came to, given the limited amount of information regarding his video
Therefore, his family being threatened bares no relevance when talking about his motivation for his first rant.
In his second rant video, he also addressed the SC community and their, for a lack of better words, fanaticism
Therefore, when talking about his motivation for the second rant video, his family being threatened should be addressed properly.
Conclusion:
People that threat other people and their families are human waste
You seem hellbent on pushing those threats as the only important information from those videos (even though there was no mentioning of it in the first one), completely omitting the very valid concerns he had brought to the table. At least that is what I concluded, reading through your posts.
Omitting valuable information for the sake of self-righteous anger makes you as much a part of this ominous so-called “the problem”, as it does me, because I tried to reason with you / give you information you seemed incapable of gathering from a video yourself.
Zen, the unfortunate reality of the internet right now is that any remotely controversial topic draws people who enjoy sending death threats to everyone involved. And by controversial i mean “i just lost a close round in counter strike, better send the other team death threats!”. You said complacency somehow contributes to the existence of these threats, but that is nonsense. The only practical way to deal with those people is to dismiss them, and realize their empty threats cant affect your life in any way.
Im not sure what you think is a better way to “respond”, the only other method i can think of is sending back similar hate in kind. Usually those tactics end up in a stand alone complex where even where threats dont exist, they are created by the response to them, sometimes even through similarly shitty people false flagging.
In any case, i replied because i notice your last 10 posts or so consist mainly of browbeating anyone who disagrees with an unrelated opinion held by bluedrake with “how dare you criticize him when his family was threatened!” Using victimhood or the appearance of it to further an argument is something i find especially despicable these days.
Complacency doesn’t help. What’s more I wonder how calm, cool and distant you would remain should someone threaten your family. It seems you have the inability to process priority - and someone stating their family has been threaten far outweighs a comment about monetization of games!
No the last ten posts were about the importance of not diminishing death threats, which you are doing. There is no excuse for it whether it is the internet, mail or calls. Period.
What is your alternative to “complacency”. Is it internet vigilantism? Should we tell people who have been threatened to make sure to be afraid and go into hiding? Perhaps we should make sure to follow any noted demands and silence ourselves whenever an anonymous 10 year old says he’s going to shit down the chimney and poison our household with the toxic gasses?
Edit: in your edit you make a fallacy of priority. If it was valid to just yell “threats” whenever someone wants to discuss video games people wouldn’t be able to have any conversations ever.
No we should treat threats seriously and not be complacent as you are being. Perhaps you can be nonchalant about threats to your own family but it doesn’t give you the right to be complacent about threats to other people’s families.
It is extremely unwise to take anonymous internet threats seriously, doing so gives them power and encourages the act. If it seems more credible than usual go ahead and report it to relevant authorities but know that regardless you are more likely to be struck by lightning twice than have an internet threat acted upon, wheras being scared by an internet threat is bound to give some stress and have a negative affect, which is the point to such a threat.
There are two reasons to take random internet threats seriously, ignorance of reality or a motive to derail an existing discussion of whatever scale using a priority fallacy, which you are currently doing.
I don’t think its possible to make my point any clearer than this so if you don’t have any other comments than “ur complacent” i think we can stop.