the last around the verse had a thing in the first quarter if the video showing the replacement for the use button, it’s essentially a centered version of ARMA’s interaction system where you can have a bunch of options and ways to interact with things, scroll through them and pick one.
I find the ARMA approach handy, but frustrating when the choices are changing. Bohemia, who is about as bad at making usability choices as is humanly possible, rebuilds their menus whenever a choice comes or goes. So in dynamic environments, it’s impossible to make a choice. I hope the Star Citizen guys can put in some stability in their menu system so that their players aren’t similarly frustrated.
To be honest, the implementation shown in that video looks pretty impractical. Faded out, distant menu items? No thank you. It’s artistic, but not very useful - unless the pace of gameplay is slow enough to let it work.
on the other hand, if the menu items are on the item you are interacting with rather than constantly shifting in the corner if the screen it avoids some of that issue you mentioned.
You’d have to first establish which object that you were interacting with. After that, the choices still have to be stable. If I’m looking at a helicopter in ARMA, I should be able to press the space bar to bring up the available choices. Maybe they appear as floating words as with the above demo. Maybe they’re just a standard boxy menu in the corner of the screen. What’s important is that the menu is stable. Option 1 is always to get in as pilot. Option 4 is always to get in the back. If I want to get into the back and somebody just took the last spot, then Option 4 just greys out and I get a beep if I try to select it.
Given that system, I’d want to be able to hit space, then a number for the option I’m after. Space-4 and I’m in. So long as nobody stepped in front of me before I hit space, I’m good. If they did, I may have enough feedback to know not to hit 4. Perhaps a halo around the object that I just started interacting with. Something obvious. Perhaps a sound unique to each type of object.
Ultimately, I’m after some UI that lets me declare what I want to do. I want to issue a command. Unfortunately, command interfaces are slow, so one or two keystrokes is what you need to work from. But making it as declarative as possible is certainly a goal.
If I understood bd42’s rant correctly, you need to own a ship to play SC. Since it is an item that can be transferred, it got stolen, so he can no longer play SC
Then again, I dont own a copy of SC, so I might be wrong.
btw, he said why he rant about this in the second video: “because the devs of games create an environment, that offers monetary incentives (in the shape of virtual, transferrable items with real world money worth) for criminals to hack accounts.” or at least along those lines. Basically if RSI wasnt selling ships for real world money, people wouldn’t have had a reason to hack his account.
The same kind of crazies threatened Sean Murray so this is not exclusive to SC.
Piracy exists wherever there is monetary value assigned to a commodity. It doesn’t matter if it’s the developer getting shafted of money from pirated copies of games in circulation, or present day online accounts being hacked for their virtual items. While it is a frustrating reality, it is silly to expect total immunity from it or that somehow businesses shouldn’t be allowed to make money out of virtual items.
All BlueDrake needs to do is request that CIG restore his account. CIG have stated it is extremely easy for them to confirm if an account has been hacked. It is up to him to secure his account better than it was before.
Which reminds me I should tighten up my I:B password. A soon-to-be game account that I paid over $100 for and will soon be paying another $165 (roughly $215) for…and I never once touched a physical disk
Speaking of which… @INovaeKeith where exactly do we go to change our password? I can’t find it anywhere on the forum or website account settings
Of course it’s up to the buyer to secure their goods but there has to be some accountability as far as security is concerned on behalf of the supplier. Fortunately SC has always been good in getting goods replaced and with refunds so he shouldn’t have a problem. But I draw the line on calling someone else’s video a rant after their family has been threatened and just flip it off as the norm. There is nothing normal or usual about someone’s family being threatened - if you are going to be complacent then you are only adding to the problem, and worse.
You need to log out, then try to log back in. But instead of logging in, press the “I forgot my password”. From there, you should be able to reset. I’ve changed it at least twice, so I know it can be done.
Well as far as I can see it’s a rant video but also a totally justified one because he’s annoyed that it happened to him. It’s just that posting an angry video like that will always attract the nutjobs because they are so possessive of their chosen obsession no matter what it is.
The problem was that he tied up his emotion with a very legitimate argument he was trying to make.
His argument was also about how fans get bent out of shape and about fanaticism - he made his point by threats to his family. But I guess you are only concerned about the title of the video and not the content…
I do agree on on thing though, it isn’t the threats that are the issue, it’s getting emotional about threats to your family and expressing it: big problem!
Let’s not resort to ad hominems please. ( topical!)
Show me one single community that doesn’t have a group of people who get bent out of shape by criticism. In the first video he is trying to make a discussion about requiring security of virtual goods, but he does it in a hostile way that doesn’t convey his true intent of the video. Thus he cops a whole lot of flak for it and had to post a second video explaining the true argument he was trying to make - the monetization of video games that causes people to commit crimes.
Calling out the threats was a reaction to the first video but it also validated his point that people are more attached to these games as a result of the monetization. The argument is therefore not about how fans get bent out of shape at all, it’s because it is closely linked to the monetization. He specifically states “…this is not a problem I have with Star Citizen, it is a much larger issue that I think is serious…”. His account getting hacked was the trigger point for this discussion.
The first video was an angry mess. The second video was more articulate and well reasoned. That’s all I’m trying to say.
Lets not resort to flippancy. (:no_mouth and having one’s family threatened is very topical).
You appear more concerned about the organizational aspect of the video than its actual content. Clearly he was upset by by the monetization of games and clearly he was upset by SC fans not only attacking him for criticism but also threatening his family. Imagine that! More than one statement in a single video - what is the world coming to! I find it strange that you would find his organizational skill more distressful than having his family threatened. But hey, having one’s family threatened isn’t exclusive, right? So lets focus on what really matters - gaming monetization. Or does someone have to die before you take such things seriously - long after it’s too late. Sadly it appears so.