Well until now I don’t think anyone is actively trying to get to the regular role.
The roles are still in development. I trust the guys at meta.discourse to find a good balance.
Well until now I don’t think anyone is actively trying to get to the regular role.
The roles are still in development. I trust the guys at meta.discourse to find a good balance.
There are some serious experts involved in the development of Discourse. Randy Farmer is an expert on online communities and reputation systems and Jeff himself obviously has his experience from Stack Exchange and it’s reputation system.
yes, i just took a look and it’s configured like that with the exception of the favicon option, though that shouldnt change anything.
https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/6
Yes.
Sorry, but I don’t see why you chose to state this?
You say that as if it’s a good thing.
I don’t want Stack Exchange, or Facebook, or Twitter, or Reddit, or any other of the online communities that have gotten extremely large numbers of users through the use of systems involving like buttons or other forms of visible point-based reputation.
I want an online community of people who are interested in Infinity and have ideas they wish to share simply because they think they’re good ideas, not because they think everyone else will click “like”. I might not agree they’re good ideas, but that’s OK, we can use words to talk about it, or just quietly agree to disagree.
Maybe we’ll still have that, like-button or no like-button. Maybe not. I just hope we don’t end up with “look how many likes I got!” being a valid argument.
If you look how many likes I got on my profile you’ll note that it’s not receiving - aka. the thing that’s more likely to happen with more people - that’s caused a change I would have a reason to notice.
This isn’t what is happening here.
The problem is that building sophisticated software just to solve several problems a simple heart button can solve in a similar way is a question of resources and feasibility.
What I try to say with this is:
Ether you create a smart but complicated sofware that can scan and understand patterns … or you implement a easy to click hassle free button so users can influence that system.
Sure it has drawbacks but as long as the system isn’t granted too much power, which I think it hasn’t with discourse, it shouldn’t be a problem.
And there’s no real incentive except for the Regular title.
The first thing Discourse made different from most other forum software is removing the post count from the discussion view. That thing was a staple of e-peen over the years but not on this forum any more. Sure you can go into the profile and look at the number but it isn’t on the page where you are supposed to have reasonable conversations.
Ok after reading the sentence 5 times I got it. [that’s = that has] and [ - - = , , ]
Well then you loose regular role … do you care?
I’m getting unread post in the middle or read post, to say in the middle on the opening page. Unread post with no blue icon.
There are threads on this forum I do not care about. None of them are in the lounge. Am I really the only person on the internet who doesn’t have to be deeply obsessed with a subject to want to read about it?
For example, while I have always hated punctuation one of my favourite webcomics is a description of how to use a semicolon and from there figuring out the correct uses of dashes and apostrophes wasn’t too large a leap:
That’s the dictionary definition of that’s, and actually [- - = ( )]
[quote]Either version may be used to denote a break in a sentence or to set off
parenthetical statements (ideally with intradocument consistency).
Style and usage guides vary,1 but often in this function en dashes are used with spaces and em dashes are used without them:[/quote]
I hate when l and I are the same. That would be L and I.
I agree completely; because of it I spent years not really certain what Jupiter’s fourth-largest moon was called.
I’m not sure if this is a chrome, android, or phone problem…but when I try to paste anything into the reply box on the forum nothing works. I’ve googled the problem and other users have had this problem before with chrome so it might be that, but I haven’t experienced this issue anywhere else. Just thought I’d let everyone know.
uh, as seen here: Awesomes of the Internets
its a bit weird that it embeds a kickstarter video just from the link, and it also autoplays for some reason. that’s pretty broken, enough of them in one thread and well, goodbye ears for anyone who opens the thread.
autoplaying anything in general is bad.
As I said in that thread:
It’s not Discourse’s fault, and if it was, Kieth wouldn’t waste his time fixing it when there are a bunch of people over at meta.discourse.org doing it.
Discourse automatically turns links into things called oneboxes which are different depending on the link. eg Links to Youtube videos get turned into an embed of that video and links to Wikipedia pages get turned into summaries.
Chrome is complaining about “script from unauthenticated sources”. Google support page leads here Manage warnings about unsafe sites - Computer - Google Chrome Help .
![]()
edit
Warning is gone now, might be triggered by some action.
It appears after viewing the “SpaceX Current Launch” topic.
It’s probably the Imgur albums, people on Chrome have had problems with them before. At least your version of Chrome shows a warning, my (older v31) version simply doesn’t show the album. 
Would it be possible to let us stay logged in longer?
I stay logged in for ages. (A month or more)
How often are you having to login?
I hit forever and have to log in about once every other week. Can go for a month then every other day. 
When I watch an embedded video (e.g. YouTube) in full screen, then escape out of full screen, I am dropped into the middle of the forum thread - despite the video having been at the end of the thread. Does anyone else see this or have a solution to it? It’s rather annoying.
I’m running Chrome on Windows 7.
I have the same issue. I’m also using Chrome and Win7…
Reproduced in Chrome. Doesn’t happen for me in Firefox.
Maybe something to do with this:
In Firefox, full screen Youtube is a separate window (Left with Flash logo in image) - I can Alt-tab back to Firefox and use the browser normally with the full-screen Flash player still running in the background.
In Chrome, going full screen takes over the Chrome browser window (3rd with Chrome logo in image)
It may be possible to change Chrome’s plug-in settings to resolve this but that’s just a guess.