Awesomes of the Internets


It really is. Truly Inspiring. And no STARS! And the epic music and narator!

Sagan is great. His books are a fantastic read too if you haven’t read them already. I enjoyed cosmos a good deal but my favorite of his is Pale Blue Dot. I read it my freshman year and I really think it’s what pushed me to study physics and want to dedicate my life towards exploring space. I owe him the last 3 years of frustrating math and physics classes heh

I only recently learned about liftport and their planes(recently as in yesterday or friday; small world)so I’m very curious about the video but I don’t have time to watch it right now. I’ll check it out soonā„¢ and edit or reply.

I must end my procrastination and get something done…finals week here we go

I backed the Liftport kickstarter way back then (it was actually my first project that I backed). As awesome as the company and its goals seem, I have yet to receive my reward…

today’s xkcd comic gets an honorable mention…

2 Likes
Linky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars

Looks kindof cool. :grinning:

1 Like

Mmm…very tempting. I’ll try and remember to look at this again after I get paid

why does this autoplay? thats annoying.

Scared my socks off first time.

I have no idea why it auto-plays. I just inserted the link for the kickstarter page.

Try indenting by 4 spaces. Should hopefully keep Discourse from automatically converting and playing. Will involve slightly more copy-pasting, but oh well.
1 Like

Just tiping something in front of it works too:

Test: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars?ref=video

1 Like

It’s Kickstarter’s fault.

I’ve opened a ticket with Kickstarter and I’ve reported the issue here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/oneboxing-a-kickstarter-page-with-a-video-shows-just-the-video/21473/4

1 Like

I’ve fixed it. I did it both ways @Lomsor @Runiat :stuck_out_tongue:

Using four spaces makes it no longer a link…

A couple more games to keep an eye on:

http://fracturedspace.com/

Also, a neat article from PCGAMER giving the heads-up on upcoming titles:

1 Like

Talk to an AI.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist to compare this recently released video of a real galaxy:

…with the old ā€œInfinity - Procedural real-time galaxy modelā€ video:

I think next time we need more stars - or at least brighter ones…

1 Like

I don’t think the comparison is valid.

I believe I-Novae are going for Milky Way numbers of stars, ie about 300 billion (3x1011). The Andromeda galaxy has over 3 times more at 1 trillion (1012) stars.
In addition, that photo will include many stars in the Milky Way between us and Andromeda (obviously including the big brighter ones).
Also, the model does not include dust which I think does a lot of reflecting and refracting and I imagine has a significant affect on the observed brightness of the image.

Finally, if your perspective was more like the Infinity video (ie inside the Andromeda galaxy looking outwards), I expect your view would be far more similar.

I’m sure @Kichae will correct me if I am wrong and will be able to educate beyond my assumptions.

Of course it’s not valid. The infinty video says that directly at the beginning - ā€œNo fancy rendering effects - only colored dotsā€
But as I said in the opening sentence: I couldn’t resist to compare them because maybe one day that’s how it might look like ingame :wink:

I think you missed my point… Even if the 2nd video was re-made in the future using a 100% realistic I-Novae engine, it wouldn’t look like the 1st video because the two perspectives are so different.

We can agree that we would both love to see the I-Novae engine as realistic as possible.