I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

You have to realize that this is another feature you have other games probably lack. Not many games out there could do a something as big as a 70km long megaship while also doing tiny fighters. This is especially attractive to modders and in general is VERY impressive to people.

2 Likes

Honestly I’m just happy that their’s collision boxes instead of bump boxes. (I’m looking at you eve online) I’m just drooling anticipating the eventual capital ship being kamakazied into oblivion.

it is usually called flight path vector indicator
you can see it in airplanes with symbol of small plane

1 Like

Indeed. My first reaction was eat your heart out EVE Online!
Childish, certainly, but the instinctive, base level reaction isn’t to be understimated.

And come on, that’s big enough to have an entire battle inside a station! How awesome is that?

1 Like

a never before seen orange sky? …what does it all mean?! :scream:

An atmospheric composition that scatters longer wavelengths :smile:

I believe something like nitrogen, methane, or ammonia causes this sort of scattering(just going off of my memory of Titan’s atmosphere).

@Kichae can give you specifics!

Mars-like world?

3 Likes

I love the style of the cockpit - the controls and system readouts look sturdy but old. Reminds me of the cockpits from 70’s-80’s era fighter jets, or the Rapier cockpit from the Wing Commander movie. The additional windows below is more reminiscent of a modern helicopter. That’s also extremely cool!

3 Likes

WWII’s Me 410 had it, and it probably wasn’t the only/earliest such glass cockpit. It is useful to this day because ground attack aircraft will tend to have targets under their nose, whereas the need for a see-through section of the nose for aiming A2A guns went away for a bunch of reasons. The principle is the same, though:

Relevance to I:B?
Should atmospheric aerodynamics/flight model make dogfighting a conventional pitch-biased deal (which I really hope, so we’d have yet another dimension for overall strategy/tactics - e.g. one fleet is good both in space and atmo, whereas another has an advantage in one and handicap in the other), the way it’s always been for manned fighters in reality, then such a glass cockpit would be an important balancing device for ship designs. Having a line of sight on the target you’re deflecting your nose for, is invaluable in such a conventional dogfighting setup. Even if all ships have HUD reticles tracking targets beyond the edges of the cockpit canopy. You can track and predict what the target is doing with your eyeballs, which isn’t as effective with HUD reticles; unless the HUD also draws a virtual image of the target ship when it’s under your nose.

I tried to find some video footage of this, but found nothing where it’s clearly demo’d. Just take any close range evenly-matched guns dogfight filmed from the chasing aircraft’s cockpit, and imagine that part of the cockpit is see-thru down the middle, like that Me410 cockpit. It’s a serious advantage.
e.g. This shot. You can’t see it from the recorded POV, but from the cockpit, the target is kept just on the left edge of the canopy’s blind spots until the last moment when the nose is jinked forward to make the shot. If the cockpit had a glass section down the middle, it would’ve been possible to roll over and track the target thru that angle.

–
I am so going crazy imagining all the things I:B has the potential to be, inherently. Not even the stuff it may have once features are added, but just the things you immediately can do with a real scale seamless engine and tens/hundreds of players dogfighting. The dev team just (says I, hehehe :P) needs to make the right design/balance choices to keep things really fun; and IMHO it won’t be too hard.

It just boggles my mind and I wish I could tie it all together in concise description. Because this kind of strategic and tactical potential is exactly what’s made or broken both space and air combat sims, as far as even the most hardcore addicts are concerned.

A SciFi setting like I:B means we can have all of both the conventional A2A dogfighting (interceptors), some of the the more modern BVR tactics/strategy (fighters, bombers, corvettes), and also everything down the other end of the spectrum to extreme long range strategic combat (capital ship bombardment, carrier ops, capital ship AWACS like coordination both central and gathered from one-man scout ships and jamming of all these, warp travel interdiction and/or minelaying, etc etc).
It just boggles the mind, and seamlessness + 10s-100s of players really guarantees the epic scale is uncompromised.

You don’t have to have eye candy for all of that epic action.

3 Likes

War thunder player here. Hehehehe die to my energy fighting!

1 Like

I really wish these were bigger That’s a beautiful shot :frowning:

I’m happy to upload the full sized versions somewhere. What is a good image hosting site these days? Imgur?

What will be the most powerful weapon of the game ? do you plan to make planets destructible (in a semi-persistent way) ? It could be so awesooooome

1 Like

As some of you may have already guessed this, but we’re still adding content to the Prototype. Many will recognize the station from the 2010 tech demo video.

Now an abandoned Astralis outpost in a SFC controlled system… it lay quietly in a low orbit around the Gas Giant, just outside the massive planet’s atmosphere. 4 Corvette class ships “Hellions” investigate.

23 Likes

very nice!!!

How does it hold up texture wise? Because it looks pretty good in the screenshot, but I take it you didn’t update the textures to the new material system.

It holds up fairly well from a distance, however it’s an asset that @INovaeGene created years back, possibly before he was on the DevTeam.

It’s using the old Astralis (Centaurus) Texture packs, which haven’t yet been properly converted to the new PBR pipeline, so up close they don’t look quite right.

2 Likes

That things still alive? Wow. :open_mouth:

I mean … How could the Cen… Astralis left it there so alone.

It’s possible they didn’t have a choice :wink:

3 Likes

I wonder if someone could approach the star and take a pic of it? I would love to see something like:

Mass effect sun effect