Speaking of which @TARS @Playbenni
One of my favorite parts of the prototype was the rainbow Lensflare from inside the cockpit. Can you take a screenshot of it? I really liked it and others might too if there’s a moon/planet in the shot as well…
Speaking of which @TARS @Playbenni
One of my favorite parts of the prototype was the rainbow Lensflare from inside the cockpit. Can you take a screenshot of it? I really liked it and others might too if there’s a moon/planet in the shot as well…
Yeah, imgur is fine.
The star is just a white circle right now I believe. 
On the counter, they could see the thursday night chili cook-off pots, dried and crusty from years of neglect. What a time for the air-handlers to malfunction…
“Anyone home?!”

“Hello!”
. . .
"Awesome, free station!
Can’t wait to see what kind of raise this’ll get me. Hmm. . . air quality’s good, no breaches, no radiation. . . "
HISS!!!
“I wonder where every- OH GODS ABOVE! WHAT DIED IN HERE?!” 

Here be found the last remains of the psychos of ISS Relatively Fast
@Skyentist I took this one yesterday staring directly into the sun (btw you can see @Playbenni approaching the sun to take screenshots). I will take some more tomorrow If I can (with planets/moon).
The post-processing is really great and not too overblown or annoying like in some other games (the motionblur for example is really subtle, you only notice it if you look for it).
You post this on the reddit thread in /r/gaming right now!
The gas giant is probably something that needs the most work though, eh? Particularly up close. Don’t think it’s the most flattering stuff to share.
Seeing the star get super bright is pretty cool.
It looks magical nonetheless. Really alien, really giant and still relateble with that blue atmosphere.
It isn’t white, it’s just so bright that it completely blows out our HDR settings so it appears white.
I like this. At many occasions in the prototype videos I got the impression that you might do realism in scale, but not in luminosity. If you look at real photos from moon, mars or Tschurjumow-Gerassimenko, you see those extremely hard shadows which are entirely black. I never seen this in the prototype. Also, I’d expect to see a very dense starfield at the dark side of planets outside the atmosphere. Also this is nothing I’ve seen in the engine so far…
We’ve tweaked the luminosity of distant stars and many of our HDR settings for artistic effect. The engine is working with real, true to scale luminance values. This is actually extremely challenging, particularly for our global tonemapping operator, and is a fairly consistent source of hate and discontent for our art team ;).
Why? I wonder if it would look good to not compress any luminosity. Just do no local adaption but only adapt the exposure similar to the human eye.
It would be really cool as you get closer to the star to have more intense light and shadows. This would definitely add to gameplay if you can use shadows to hide when you’re in the ‘hot’ zone of the system.
Well, I would rather suggest, to have a centered circle of the screen (maybe half the size) used for auto-exposure. When tapping the zoom-feature, this circle would get very small (a tenth of the screen maybe).
Ofcourse this circle is not visible. It just clips the content which is used for auto-exposure. In the end, the whole game will look much less colorful because everywhere the luminosity range is clipped either at the top or the bottom.
IMO this would be fine if it adds a little more photorealism. On the other hand it could break the gameplay. In this case you might need to add a subtle portion of the compressed content.
I was thinking having it adjust based on how much is in the screen of a certain brightness, so if it’s just the sun and there’s no planets/moons to focus on instead it could adjust for just that. But that doesn’t make much sense, especially when you can still have a planet or something that’s one pixel.
But that idea of adjusting the “eyes” based on what is near the center sounds a lot better. Overall contrast should still play some part, though.
Without an atmosphere, the contrast should always look too strong
that would be realistic.
We could say it’s some sort of future-tech auto-dimming smart-glass that can adjust brightness to protect the user’s eyes.
That would make sense. I don’t think it makes sense to sacrifice visual elements for the sake of realism. Plus I don’t think its very realistic to expect to fly spaceships by looking out through a glass cockpit.
It’d also be nice to have a range of visibility enhancements available. I can drive a tank in Arma 3 and I have night vision and 2 types of thermal vision available, I’d imagine there could be a lot of view modes and various ways to visualize information that would be useful in Infinity.