This one from here I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!
Few people commented because, as you can see, there’s hardly anything to comment on. Cockpits had already been confirmed.
This one from here I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!
Few people commented because, as you can see, there’s hardly anything to comment on. Cockpits had already been confirmed.
Are you talking about that fast acceleration or right when he leaves the ground? Because the former was some kind of boost. Seen (and heard) in the lava planet Video.
I look forward to hearing more about this on the developer access forums.
The fast acceleration. It doesn’t matter whether he’s using a boost or not because it demos poorly. An external view with the ship filling the screen calls for a slow departure because the majority of the screen is static. The rest of the scene should similarly change slowly. If you want to show off turbo, then do it from inside the cockpit where the sensation of speed can be appreciated. With the ship filling so much of the screen, I doubt that even an over-the-shoulder view would help.
Another way of showing off turbo would be to view the ship from another ship sitting on the ground next to it using a ‘free look’ camera.
Yup. Such a free look camera seeing a ship flyby was one of the few serious flaws with the old 2010 vid. When you have such extraordinary, astronomical dimensions as this game hinges on, you have to have as many familiar frames of reference as possible for people to grasp just how large/fast/etc things are.
Otherwise it is like saying the universe is so many billions of years old, or the void between stars is so many coins of money or planet Earths lined up end to end, or like that video with a running comparison of star sizes.
Watching that latest video above, I was wondering.
Will there be haptic feedback eventually along the road map of development. For the xbox one controller and obviously haptic feedback for its triggers. If done well it can be a very good tactile element. And a wider question for full force feedback support at some point. Although getting as far as well programmed as haptic feedback on an xbox one controller (and triggers) would be a great.
One point of interest about force feedback, in the film Interstellar when Cooper and Brand are about to enter the atmosphere of the water planet (miller’s Planet) on the other side of the worm hole in the other galaxy, you hear CASE the robot ask if he should disable the feedback felt on the flight stick (haptic feedback).
So if Interstellar can have haptic feedback in the film, so could we. Right?
"No, I need to feel the air!" is Coopers reply to CASE the robot, and in our case with Infinity its both air (atmospheric) and this “I need to feel the engines thrust UP and Down!” (in space).
For those of us who are passionate about haptic feedback on both xbox contoller and HOTAS/flightsticks. I even have a very slim secret hope for a left hand HOTAS throttle with force feedback, so one can feel the engine.
We haven’t really made any decisions on haptic feedback at this point. I think that’ll largely be determined by playtesting and available resources.
Now you’re just being mean…
@above posts
Haptic feedback sure is nice, but it’s also something that’s good to have able to be turned off easily. Most people that get “serious” about their games, with the exception of race simulators, tend to turn off rumble feedback and sometimes FFB because it interferes with their ability to shoot accurately.
That said, my HOTAS doesn’t have FFB so I’m indifferent and also not wanting to spend $1k or something for a setup that does! That would be something I would imagine being very low on their priority list.
Ok thanks for the reply. I’ll jog your memories every 6 months if that’s okay.
Just having it on the xbox one controller with triggers would be a great start, and end if you thought that would be enough. And then see how things go later on in development.
Some here will already know my username from the Elite and Star Citizen forums where I’m constantly lobbying FD and CIG about force feedback and haptic feedback on the xbox one controller (inc triggers).
Of course as @case mentions above, all fully configurable from the haptic feedback section of the games settings. Have a little or a lot, or none at all, and various other controls and HOTAS/flightstick/xbox one/360 calibrations for force feedback, centring etc.
I’ve always wanted a force feedback left hand HOTAS throttle, seems no one ever made one. I would of thought for space games that also cover atmospheric flight, feeling the throttle would be really good as you fly in from space.
The key to good haptic feedback is that it should provide a beneficial communication to the player. I presume that in racing simulators players like it because it is a good way to provide additional communication to the player when they are drifting off the racing line. In terms of Battlescape I could see haptic feedback being a good reinforcement to warning a player when they are starting to go too fast in an atmosphere.
“Forces? What forces are there in a space craft with all electronic controls!?”
Even in space, the ships in Infinity, ED and SC could easily have full force feedback
support to further aid the tactile joystick immersion, if you want it as a commander that is.
There are forces and effects that can be represented absolutely everywhere on a space craft via haptic feedback forces and vibrations through the hull, airlock hatches, cargo bay doors, landing gear, and engine thrust. Vibrations from Landing gear operation, landing and take off forces and vibration, atmospheric flight - both entry and exit, atmospheric exit thrust forces, impacts in asteroid fields and with other space objects impacting the shields and hull including other ships or docking rings. Entering and exiting hyperspace and interdictions (ED and SC). Ballistic weapons fire vibration, combat damage vibrations from ballistic weapons fire and missile hits to shield impacts. Then three could be the vibration forces from using afterburners or sudden reverse thrust. And even some opposite force when nearing stress limits - and in very tight turns, a slow force building up when near blackout and then maybe a stick shaker reminder.
Once a well programmed set of haptic events are worked out and all set for a basic one size fits all ships. Then testing it out right across the games solar system. If all goes well, then start o adjust the haptic events for each ship and class type.
For example, the xbox one triggers would be perfect for engine thrust. One trigger would then give the player engine thrust feedback, and even indications of a failing engine.
Modern jets, and especially the newer ones do have haptic feedback, all with varying degrees of force. Different countries outfit their versions of the fighter jets with haptic feedback sticks and throttles. There are several companies that do this, supplying very expensive flight sticks and throttles to give the pilot some sense of feedback through he stick and throttle, for flight and flight simulators.
I’m not a fan of that boost sound effect. It reminds me of a drain pipe gurgling. 
Indeed, playing a racing sim without a good FFB wheel is like trying to write code using only a mouse. I would love a nice FFB HOTAS setup for flight sims, as long as they were up to snuff. It would certainly help immersion, however in combat situations I’d be wary of using it (tis why I mentioned easy on/off of haptics).
Awesome! 
Will we be able to wait that long, or will everyone go insane and have heart failure do to the tremendous excitement that we will all experience right near the end of the countdown?
Waite, did that volcanic satellite freeze over?
Was it’s name Hell by any chance?
So does that mean all thous skeptics who said Infinity will produce something when Hell freezes over wright?
Oh, that’s no Volcanic moon, it’s a Terrestrial moon 
You’re seeing the Hellion cross a large Desert at twilight.
I wasn’t expecting a smurffy pic this close to the Kickstarter.
There was bathing and laundry involved.
We needed one last beautiful sunset before the Kickstarter. 
Not that we have to wait long to see another, I bet we’ll be seeing one in the video. Or at least the screenshots 
HA! Sunset / sunrise again! You won’t fool us with those new fangled words of yours! 