I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

A giant, semi-circle-ish space station.

1 Like

I would like to request a screenshot simlar to this photo: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/pics/Pluto-Wide-FINAL-9-17-15.jpg :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or in color
Uploading…

… Stuck on uploading here… But it was posted at Unmanned Space Flight’s New Horizon subforum. Post-encounter Pluto surface observations thread.

1.at 1:40 the ship dont look like hes flying over the planet it looks like the ship is in front of an blue/greenscreen
2.The shiny texture effect on “normal” ground make no sense when we see it on every planet variation… what are this stones,sand or dirt made of ? glas particles
3.the lava isnt moving and has no source like an vulcan or something

  1. No, I don’t see it.
  2. Ok, maybe it shouldn’t be shiny but it’s not on every planet.
  3. there seem to be spots where the lava concentration is the highest, and really in this video you wouldn’t be able to tell if it was flowing, even if it was water.

About 1, maybe it’s about the fact that the camera is stationary in relation to the ship? You know, like how in some games the camera moves slightly whenever the ship accelerates, as if it takes a split second for it to match the ship’s speed? Or when the FOV or distance from the ship change slightly depending on speed or special effects like boost? I think it’s a trick games use to indicate acceleration. That might be what is making him think that.

Because other than that, the ship seems to have the proper lighting and leaves a smoke trail, so you can definitely tell it’s part of the environment. I mean, it’s pre-alpha footage, not a finished game, there’s bound to be things that can be improved.

Yes, that is likely. For third person vehicle cameras, I think War Thunder has the best, and I:B should have a system just like that. Hold down a key and move the mouse to orbit the vehicle, zoom in with scroll wheel, etc.

Another thing I’ve seen planetside do is start releasing a white trail from an air vehicle’s wings whenever the vehicle is going in a direction other than straight, to help the players understand where their vehicle is going. Obviously you don’t need that while in space because you have the thrusters and that starfield-like effect to indicate speed and acceleration (plus it wouldn’t look very realistic). But while in atmosphere, it might be useful to have something like that on top of any engine smoke trails (or maybe even better than them, since smoke trails might obscure the camera depending on how they are implemented). Not the most important feature, but it would help in aerial dogfights. Especially when you realise you are dogfighting in a spaceship and can do unexpected things like turn around and fire behind you (or any other cool maneuvers you can do by utilising your ship’s hover thrusters).

Anyway, that’s not very important right now. It’s probably something to be determined through testing. Just thinking about how games use those little details to make our gameplay better and more immersive without us realising it.

Or you could have a velocity vector that works both in atmo and in space since it’s pretty necessary when flying newtonian. Elite doesn’t have this and it drives me nuts(even though they aren’t truly newtonian in the first place).

  1. The ship is flying over the terrain, most definitely.

  2. The roughness values are a never ending battle so far.

  3. The lava doesn’t flow, just like the water doesn’t flow (If you were around for those discussions on the old forums).

1 Like

Will the lava glow fluctuate in brightness? That should be enough to make it look active.

At the moment it does not, it’s an emissive texture with a constant intensity, there are no dynamic lights, the perf hit would be too great.

1 Like

They’re depicting wingtip vortices. Under the right conditions, you get wingtip contrails.

Is it screenshot time yet? :smile:

1 Like

Shh… save it for the Kickstarter :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing we have to save for KS is money :wink:

3 Likes

The volcanic planet is looking great! I can’t wait to see more, and I hope to be able to contribute as much as my college student budget allows me.

1 Like

And here’s another one from the volcanic moon. New view of the Hellion too :wink:

Fresh out of the I-Novae ovens, took this one in the Prototype about 30 minutes ago. After flying through a canyon and dogfighting with @INovaeGene

18 Likes

Epic, but I must ask, when do we get to see the in game bearded googly eyed asteroid?

1 Like

Epic. Yeah, that starts to describe it. #Jawdrop