I read “Have some candy!” in his voice.
It’s Sunday again, and I’ve got some more goodies for you guys. A couple screenshots taken in the rings of the primary KS planet. I’ve been posting some of our past screenshots on the /r/gamedev subreddit #ScreenShotSaturday as well, so weekly screenshots might be moving to Saturdays soon…
About the Screenshots.
The Corporation currently developing this system isn’t just limiting themselves to the planet surface, of course they’re doing much more throughout the system. 
Beautiful!
The planet seen from orbit on the night side got my thinking. Would the Inovae engine allow for it being possible to see illuminated cities on the ground from space during the night given enough lights on a sufficiently large area?
the experimental clouds ?
are they moving and can i fly trough them ?
The experimental clouds are limited currently. They are static, set to specific elevation, and are not volumetric. Future clouds will use different methods of implementation. They only look good at certain times of day, and only from the surface, or a high orbit, and won’t be included in Battlescape. Gameplay for battlescape will get priority over clouds 
But we get volumetric cloud that are moving and looking good in the end of the year 2016 right ?
We can dream. 
Anyways, awesome pics @Hutchings.
I’m assuming one of the big hurtles of the volumetric clouds is simply figuring out a way to have them react realistically to something moving through them (like, um, spaceships). I know that Keith or Gene worked on and had a prototype of volumetric clouds that did look halfway decent.
Now I’m curious.
The second image seems to be hiding a docked ship… that or parts of the mining station are way more detailed than others. If you want to see try lighting the image up via levels. 
EDIT: Yeah, it is in both images. The mining structures look good!
Who said this?
In this case I hope there won’t be experimental clouds in the kickstarter material, or else people will complain… A lot…
Anyone remember when they argued about Witcher 3 having a graphic downgrade? People don’t care how good a game looks, they only care if it was downgraded or not.
i think its logical… or is is impossible ? even in 1 or 2 years from now on ?
Volumetric clouds likely is determined by our Kickstarter funding level success. We’re not giving any timetable for this at the moment.
Serasul did. You quoted him right there saying it.
that is logical too i mean it cost very much time and money to do this graphical update to an procedural game engine right ?
I think the lion’s share of challenge is simply building a cloud system that will work with all of the grand requirements of the I-Novae Engine. Planetwide cloud cover in real time for a variety of environments from Martian cirrus clouds to variably-hazy conditions on Titan to the tumult of clouds on a gas giant to the well-known formations here on Earth. It’s a tall order, and it’ll take time to do well.
![]()
This one looks interesting; some of the machines on the asteroid seem to be lit up correctly in relation to where the light source seems to be, but the asteroid itself doesn’t look lit up in the same way. Could there be something else blocking the light? Or is the star facing more towards the front of the asteroid than what it looks like?
Actually yes, due to the position of the asteroid in the rings, and the angle of the star to them, the installation / asteroid is actually in the shadow of the ring 
Wow, that went through my mind but I underestimated the engine. Awesome.
That’s also why the atmosphere is ‘black’ on a certain portion of it in the ring tech demo as well as one or two of the screenies.