I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

This particular mining colony was designed for the Kickstarter video as atmospheric “set - dressing.” Meant primarily to add interest and life to the setting of the planet.

We will be including surface structures in Battlescape, however the design, function, scale, and gameplay significance of these structures has not yet been determined.

5 Likes

There is definitely potential to make them significant to gameplay. Control nodes, supply points, Re-arm Repair Resupply points, Fortified planetary defense installations, etc etc.
I can think of one gameplay mode where you have to capture an entire planet by taking down the enemy defence installations and ‘convert’ them to your attacking team.

This city is very nice!
I was wondering if part of it (for example placement) is already procedural or if this is 100% old-fashioned asset placement.

1 Like

There is nothing procedural about the city.

3 Likes

Also note past answers to the same questions:

4 Likes

…needs more cowbell
and pet rocks…

2 Likes

Nice one! I’d like to see something moving next time though, it’s been a while! (3 months and more…)

We have something planned, but FLAVIEN is the bottleneck at the moment. Always Flavien!

9 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. All his executive vacations and his fancy private jets…

11 Likes

You’d think he was running a successful video game company or something, sheesh!

Have some more Engine Screenshots. Pretty blue ones.

13 Likes

The second is another new background for me. Thanks Hutch!

3 Likes

Have some candy!

8 Likes

It must be pleasing for the team to see these screenshots being so well received! Keep up the good work :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I don’t suppose the second picture has a variant with a cloud layer? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, those are mountains.

He knows… He’s asking if there is another version of the same shot but with clouds.

Some moonlight reflecting off water screenshots is what’s been on my mind. Then again, I’m not sure if that’s possible yet.

Indeed.

Because if there were, well…

Insert your own euphemism that probably goes too far here.

What I really like about these screenshots (and earlier ones in this thread) is that a certain style/aesthetic has been finalized that makes this engine stand out from others. Just as screenshots from Eve and No Man’s Sky are very recognizable, so are these latest screenshots you have provided.

I am saying this because screenshots in years prior differed quite a lot from each other (overall quality, shape of the sun, lightning/color, lensflare, hdr, aliasing, textures, shadows, etc.). Nowadays the screenshots look coherent, polished and most of all stylish, which makes the scenes feel more tangible than ever before.

Congrats to Flavien and the rest of the team to make that happen.

3 Likes