The first image is 4824 pixels wide. Saturn’s radius is 60,000km. The rings extend to 80,000km beyond that. Add another 10,000km of empty space beyond that. That’s a radius of 150,000km or a full width of 300,000km. One pixel is then roughly 62km across. More than that for more distant objects.
Given the numbers I ran above, the penumbra width for Saturn’s ring midpoint (41km) is less than one pixel (62km), so you’ll see sharp shadows even when viewing the image at full size. Fly closer to the surface and you’ll start to see fuzziness. And that’s for the ring midpoint. The inner portion of the ring is only 7,000km above the surface, produces a much smaller penumbra and will have a sharper shadow than the rest of the ring.
Put more simply, if you fly down to the rings and look at Saturn, you’ll see fuzziness in the ring shadows.
As for the system that I-Novae Studios is showing, we don’t know the values of F, A or B.
Very good suggestions. I agree with all. Only problem I see is that if the missile’s initial speed is too low or ignition delay too large, there would be a chance that the missile hits the launching ship if it’s accelerating itself. Maybe the launcher adjust the missile’s initial speed based on the ship’s current acceleration?
Obviously these aren’t things that should be done right now, but it’s interesting to think about.
I don’t know about you, but I want to see weapon systems (all systems, for that matter) with inherent flaws, weaknesses and deficiencies. These shortcoming make operating a ship well both challenging and engaging. If all systems are simply point and click then they boil down to the same player experience and there is no reason to have multiple weapon systems - apart from the eye candy or the rewards. That’s the way EVE Online gameplay works and I don’t care for it.
If I have launchers on top of my ship, then I can accelerate down as much as I like. If I have them top and bottom, then I can accelerate to the sides as much as I like. If I have them all around my ship, then I have to stop maneuvering until the missiles are away. Or selectively launch as I maneuver. And so on.
Then there’s the question of how players would design their ships based on the way the weapons work. Would I always put missile launchers on the front of my ship? The back? The bottom? Are there other deficiencies in missile launchers that complicate their use? Power and control system proximity? Structural demands?
Skyentist stumbles over what he thought was a log with some moss on it but turned out to be Arkenbrien in his sleeping bag. How he got outside of his tent, no one knows.
Another week, another Sunset… or sunrise? You decide!
Some fairly raw screenshots (default settings for KS planet) Utilizing the Experimental clouds, and showcasing a lovely purple and white gas giant #lifeonamoon
On the waves, deep ocean
Another planetary Sunset / Sunrise, Experimental Clouds for depth
Particularly love that first one! Having the gas giant looming in the sky is quite a haunting sight, and the waves in the foreground look great (it will be interesting to see what they look like animated).
I did a search for wide ocean photographs, and attempted to find a similar exposure level / % of cloud cover (0% in this case) and I saw what could be similar to the lighter line on the horizon… I would imagine it could be due to the density of the atmosphere along that angle.
Not really…I would imagine it has something to do with the light reflecting off the ocean and the atmosphere making it seem more intense that what is really there. That’s if the engine follows physics and refraction closely to realistic levels(I’m assuming it is)
The flash has nothing to do with the water actually. When sunlight enters the atmosphere it’s scattered. It just so happens that the composition of our atmosphere scatters blue light the most. This is why the sky on Earth is blue. The Sun’s blackbody spectrum peaks in green wavelengths(this is why chloroplast is green!). The reason we don’t have a green sky is because the green light passes right through along with the reds, and yellows, violets and any other colours that we would see.
Sunsets are red and yellow because we actually see more of the upper atmosphere at the horizon due to geometry. The blue light scatters down, while the reds/yellows/greens etc keep going. This image portrays it nicely.
It is this light that we see at a sunset, and why on occasion you will see the green flash. The atmospheric conditions have to be just right* to let the green light come through(or maybe refract around, see disclaimer).
Perhaps @Kichae could correct me where I’m wrong(for my own sake) and shed a little more light on the situation.
Pun totally intended.
*Disclaimer: I have no idea what the right conditions are for the green flash to happen.
Edit: I just realized you might be talking about the screenshot itself. Oh well, my bad if you’re already knew this . I’d still like to hear from Kichae though, just so that I know I’m explaining it right.