I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

I discovered this forum on facebook. For sure I want to join the KS to help this project. I hope it arrives soon.

1 Like

Y u no screenshot?

3 Likes

Quoting Sparta for truth!

Jan working on something to put out but ETA might stretch to later in the week.

5 Likes

Here it is, a new video:

21 Likes

I can’t like it hard enough!!! My jaw dropped when the gas giant came around with the rings… The scale of our universe never ceases to amaze me.

Looks nice. The video is very clean and i I like it!
I have one question though: what is that big moving shadow between 0:10 - 0:13?

And there it is, the fizzy feeling the 2010 Tech Demo gave me! This video is perfect for showcasing what you guys are about and the improved planet generation tech. It seemed smooth and simple, yet shows us capabilities no other game can currently manage in quite the same way (I do not count Space Engine as a game before anyone asks).

Well played, guys!

I think the greatest thing about this latest demo is that you have eliminated popping, which makes it really smooth at such speeds. If you can shadow the terrain with some screen space or some detail distance method, you can even eliminate the shadow transitioning. Now i dont know about the technical perspective from which you are viewing the tech, but i hope that you can eliminate this shadow transitioning at distance, which will also help you with shadowing the clouds of the planet as viewed from space. clouds are just another terrain generated both ways.

2 Likes

Really nice :wink:

There’s something I don’t get though: the flying path starts near the ground on what seems a red-ish colour, possibly green at the very bottom of the valleys.
As the flying path goes higher and onward, the ground seems to take green hue, until it is completely green.

Is it because of a different starting area on the planet (something like a Sahara on our Earth)? Because of the sunset?

The cloud layer on that nearby red planet is moving pretty damn fast.

Excellent! The terrain starts to look very refined indeed. No popping detected at all!

Now that the terrain is perfect I suppose we might see some clouds from you in the future? :wink:

(inner voice: and trees Lucas! Don’t forget the treeeees!)

I was just thinking the same… A gigantic space ship perhaps? :wink:

Pretty sure the shadow is just the terrain shadows only appearing when you’re close enough.

Am I the only one who notices the camo ship at 3 sec?

2 Likes

OMG …

Yes.

Yes you are.

1 Like

I’m in awe!

Nope… kind of was waiting for it to fly by or something, for most of the video.

Is planet lighting partially baked? We haven’t seen a video of a day night cycle… ever… on any version of I-Novae engine. Since a round in Battlescape would last days, then a change in appearance of a station or military base environment would be appreciated.

No, it is not at all baked. And currently we do not have celestial mechanics in the engine yet for a day/night cycle video. At the moment, our solar system is geocentric (with much profound apologies to Copernicus and Galilei) for the purposes of getting our KS video out the door. Of course celestial mechanics will be implemented for Infinity Battlescape, as well as a more “realistic” star system, planetary/moon “distribution”. (Realistic in the sense of what we humans are used to in our own solar system, not in terms of what is actually out there when we look at exoplanets)

4 Likes

Hah, the rings are popping through the athmosphere at 1:22 :wink:

2 Likes