I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

You ruined the flawlessness for me :frowning:

Edit: doesn’t seem like a big issue that can’t be fixed tho.

Absolutely incredible.

4 Likes

Excellent work guys. I offer the following in hopes of it being constructive feedback.

Likes:

A. The quality of the display. Mostly the lighting and atmospheric scattering.
B. The lack of sound. Music usually kills it for me, though I know others absolutely love such things. Without the sound, I can imagine sound effects that work for me. Please have audio for ships that can match the visuals.
C. The transition over the shoulder of the planet, revealing a nice, tame moon, then the colossal gas giant. That was very well done.

Ambivalent:

A. The rings. They were at a distance.
B. The gas giant. Pretty coarse features.
C. The terrain composition. It looks like any other Perlin planet, and that’s beginning to bother me about these planets. I hope that the Kickstarter video will show some funky planet environments that take advantage of the advanced lighting capabilities of the engine.

Dislikes:

A. The camera motion at the beginning. It was a bit nausea-inducing to have the camera slewing as it did. I have a feeling that this video is using the Kickstarter camera motion path, but in reverse, and using free-look.
B. The sharp shadow of the rings across the planet. It’s realistic, but it looks faked because it’s so sharp and straight.
C. The ship at the beginning. Compared to everything else, it looks like Doom-esque geometry plunked down on the surface.

And so much for my suggestion of teasing an approach to a full-scale planet without showing the planet. I hope you guys left some powder dry for the Kickstarter.

That was my favourite part! Well, that and the desertification at the equator (which I really only noticed because I was so happy about the ring shadow).

If that’s a common sentiment, maybe for the kickstarter it would be best to show the planet in deep summer or winter, rather than near the equinoxes.

Edit: Huh. Going back to look at it, the ring’s don’t appear to cast a shadow on the water.

The lack of shadow on the water is a known bug

This IS the Kickstarter planet, it will not change beyond some material tweaking to get rid of some of the shininess.

This is a new path/camera created by Jan specifically for this video.

Not really sure what you mean by this exactly. That ship is the Hellion, which we have shown many times, and will be featured in the KS video. There will be other “background” ships in the KS vid ofc, but the Hellion is the “hero”. Maybe you just don’t like the art style of the asset (the usual “all art is WIP” disclaimer applies to our pre-funded art). It does look a bit funky due to the reddening from the sunset blending it into the terrain. Dynamic chromatic adaptation is on the implementation list, but it is a post KS endeavor at this point in time.

What we have shown to date is a fraction of what we plan to show for the KS.

They actually do, but the shadow is very faint. One of the many bugs we’re working on.

Our current setup for KS demo purposes is a geocentric model where planet and moons have no axis tilt, I did elevate the star a bit to give some ring shadow. I won’t be further tweaking the light direction, as what we have now we feel is best for our demo video.

2 Likes

I suppose this too is in your list then?:

We nitpick because we care :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

3 Likes

Color me disappointed. Apparently my expectations were unreasonable.

I mean that it is devoid of anything that suggests that it is an actual spaceship. It has no lights, none of its bits or pieces are moving, it is not venting anything, it hasn’t disturbed the ground on which it sits, etc. To me, it looks like a model of a ship. It doesn’t sell the fiction of “Spaceship on alien planet”.

And, like @Lomsor, I didn’t even notice it until @LucasFIN pointed it out.

In general, it seems that Jan and I don’t share aesthetic preferences. To guess that a camera path was used in reverse should serve as an indication of that. Helion is definitely not my cup of tea.

But the gas giant looming into view was excellent. I loved that bit.

I guess all I can say to that is I asked him to make a vid and he did that in a few hours. Lights were available to him and the fwd spotlight is on, don’t imagine he turned off the rest of the lights. Particles, not yet… I’ll actually be working with particles in the engine for the first time this week, yay!

For me, it is iconic SFC. Asset-wise, it is outdated in many respects, but not the style.

So, that red planet cloud layer’s apparent speed - bug/feature/something else?

Ok, which planet has the moving clouds? Because I’ve watched the video a dozen times now, and I don’t see any moving clouds. I must be looking in the wrong place.

1m13s, left side of screen, white clouds on red planet. I’m no weatherman, but those look a bit fast; or maybe I have the scales misunderstood.

So clouds on one planet but none on the other? :open_mouth:

I’m a huge advocate of adding some placeholder clouds in the KS video with a clever placement to hide their fakeness and make real clouds a serious stretch goal. An Earth-like planet just doesn’t work without any clouds…

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any movement in the layers of the gas giant planet at all. I could be wrong, but it looks like a subtle fish-eye lensing effect to me.

1 Like

I guess this is the end goal:

(Source: Keith’s Christmas blog post)

Probably not for Kickstarter campaign, rather finished Infinity: Battlescape.

3 Likes

It’s most definitely a feature. Wind speeds on gas giants can be quite insane, 1000’s of MPH. I have not worked out what speed Flavien put in there for the clouds, but I can certainly check the config file.

I believe I have explained this before…

1 Like

Indeed, here. I’m just stubborn :wink:

Ooookay, so no ones wants to even give a damn “fuck you, that’s a stupid question” to my previous post …

There is reddening due to the sunset.