Elite: Dangerous

monolith found:

Did you see any monkey men clubbing it with bones? :monkey:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Whenever I see video or screenshots in ED, it seems dark, as though everything is in shadow?

Does Elite have proper HDR lighting? I don’t recall ever seeing a setting or the in-game lighting changing.

can’t land on planets with atmosphere yet?

the space station interiors always seem over-bright to me.

this could be the thing lacking.

video showing a mix of ancient structures with some dramatic music, titles and editing:

2 Likes

From what I heard the engine can only use one lightsource at a time. I don’t know if that is true, but I never saw more than one back when I was playing it…

Hi Peeps, just dropped in to say a few words.

I bought (a founder as I played back in the old Spectrum days) and have been playing Elite D and yes its getting better by every update. there are tedious moments, but hell, they are simulating space travel!

I am also a Star C client and am waiting for it to go public (although to be honest I am apprehensive as to what the game will actually be when fully released, if that ever happens, I’ve been impressed with the graphics but how it all stitches together will be the acid test)

Battlescape is a game that I have backed for many reasons, one is that I expect it to be different, quite different in fact and I am excited by the prospect almost more than my expectation of ED. The designers are on my wavelength and for some reason, looking at all the updates and gradual design implementations, the basic game environment and game immersion possibilities pushes all my buttons. Will this be the game that ED should have been…? I hope not…I hope it is a game that stands out and does not pretend to be the best space sim ever, that it will be an enjoyable and interesting, captivating and immersive experience that keeps the players attention and imagination all in one place.

Yes, ED is a game you have to discover and find a niche for yourself, its hard work and there is enough choice for anyone to find something to do, but its very crowd based and space is a big load of nothing if you’re on your own.

I think any game in this genre will fall fowl of that kind of failing but its how accessible a game is that makes or breaks it. Like I said ED takes some diving into to get the most out of it, and to do that you’ll need friends, hopefully Battlescape will bring a new dimension to space sims and for me thats what is exciting but I know in my bones SC will leave me dry and disillusioned, ED may continue to bring me back but Battlescape holds my attention and its only just in alpha and I’m not even in a position to play it either, which says a lot.

6 Likes

official ED trailer for Guardians:

4 Likes

I bought the first release of ED despite misgivings about so much space with virtually nothing to do. And it turned out there was and still is way too little gameplay for such an expansive galaxy. Of course if you are not into exploring then there is plenty to do, but I feel there is so much potential in making the game far more interesting by introducing ship building, construction on planets, founding colonies with real mining and industry, not to mention a player generated economy. Also avatars would immensely improve immersion. Unfortunately, such a game would need those mechanics in the initial design so I am not holding my breath… That said, ED is definitely shaping up and has a lot more gameplay and, as far as I’m concerned, is way ahead of the curve; I’m seriously considering updating my account but want to wait until all the major updates are completed.

It’s great to let our imagination go wild and think of all the cool things we love to see in games.
But someone has to build it. And they can’t do everything at once.
They have their own priorities. Other games have others.
Beside, they try to keep server costs low. Storing all those constructions would take a lot of server space.

Avatars are coming btw. but the construction stuff, yes I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.

Not holding my breath on construction…not even at DU. lol. But Avators will definitely be a welcomed addition.

Construction could be useful but only after theyve completed the promised expansion content. It could allow players to create their own infrastructure outside of the bubble and muck around with powerplay and roleplay stuff. Especially with walking avatars.

1 Like

That would be a great set of additions to ED, they’ve released a new versionā€¦ā€œEngineersā€ (and now Guardians) as an addon to the Horizons chapter. The game still needs a lot of work and future expansion, and it still remains a Role Play endeavour to get the most out of it, but its more accessible now to solo players if they want to get somewhere.

Battlescape to me fills the gaps in No Mans Sky amongst other comparisons, not sure how I came to that conclusion, I havent even played 1 sec of the game yet, but listening to other peeps on the forums and the weekly updates, it seems to be going in an altogether singular direction. I don’t want to end up comparing this game when released, I just want play it for all its worth and enjoy the hard work that went into its design.

Yeah, I’m prepared for hiccups but I feel a part of a family here and wont mind one bit any teething problems as I know from the way its been designed from scratch that there is a core of tekkies that want this to succeed. It does remind me of the early days in ED’s build to a release and I loved the dedication that Frontier had within its house to implement many things that the backers wanted and tried to keep the original idea alive within all that and the fact that they weren’t driven by a huge bank balance.

I’m quietly optimistic that Battlescape will become a competitive addition to the space wars that are going to resume once SC is released, but sometimes size isnt everything.

1 Like

ED will be releasing on the PS4 next year, they have a new trailer, it’s a bit more down to earth than the original release one, nice watch.

2 Likes

the original was a CGI trailer, like it was advertised from the start, for who that want to see it, this is not.

Interesting, I thought they said that ED would never come to ps4? Will be interesting to see, if my pc ED account will allow me to get certain expansions for free, or if I will have to buy everything again.

They gave MS-Xbox a time limited exclusivity, looks like it expires next year.

in the trailer the game looks fast and full of action.
but in reality i cant stand playing it because its soooo slow…
i always want to go faster… and also the continous use of the afterburner is not helping… its ridiculous

3 Likes