Elite: Dangerous

If only there was a singleplayer / mulitplayer space game in the works that also offers modding capabilities, eh?

yeah… i wonder, who could do it…
…everybody wants a piece of multiplayer pie.

1 Like

Nice race…

3 Likes

too slow…
and i hate constant use of the afterburner…

1 Like

I was playing some of this the other night and realised just how irritating I now find this game’s flight mechanics compared to the Battlescape prototype. It feels so restrictive and slow, not to mention the horrible jumps between local and system space using the frameshift drive!

In short, the Battlescape prototype is already ruining all other space games for me and we don’t have gameplay yet. Not saying it’s perfect, just exactly what I feel has been missing!

10 Likes

What you suggest is game design based on RNG. There’s currently far too much of that in Elite already. Sure, realistic in a simulation. But Elite is no such thing. There was a good reason for the player outcry after update 2.1 when people realized that the meta Frontier had designed required them some 8+/- hours of material grind for a dice roll and potential module downgrade as “reward”.

Good game design shouldn’t rely on RNG to extend the playtime. Good game design ought to be skill based and every negative effect ought to be avoidable by some form of skill. A poor dice roll? There’s no skill in avoiding it, only luck.

The result of poorly implemented RNG (goes for all RNG in Elite and much of what fans suggest) is nearly always player time being wasted. Which I think the artificial delays for updating some database field are as well, but Frontier seems to disagree. Ship lost during transition? Rebuy credits or rather time to gain those wasted. RNGineer downgrade after 8 hours of material collection? Material gathering time wasted. Hazardous RES spawns only small wanted ships until the 10th re-instantiation? Play time wasted. Popular suggestion of mis-jumps? Time wasted for getting where you wanted to be. Meta centered around mission stacking and therefore mode hopping for mission board refreshs? Time wasted, could be implemented as integrated function without mode hopping or prevented entirely by persisting mission spawns across modes.

Wherever good game design uses RNG, it makes the outcomes either equally compelling or allows players to mitigate the effects of RNG by means of skill or thoughtful play. Not by mindlessly wasting more time. Something that I don’t observe from Frontier.

3 Likes

Having the option skip some dull repetitive task is not a reward, in the same way that turning on a dishwasher is not a reward.

4 Likes

i can live with it but i think the better use for engineer customization would have been a pure customisation. Via sliders.

You want one particular ship stat higher ?
Sure, here you go, but you will loose in different areas.
No gambling. Precise numbers based on what you take you need to give elsewhere.
I think i suggested something similar here during KS.

ED Guardians has gone into beta, looks like they made a base pass on everything.




6 Likes

Nice! It gets to a point where I might indeed go buy the addons and continue playing again.

Love them adding all those specific uncommon types of space objects such as the neutron stars etc., besides what the game already includes (e.g. black holes). Something that I terribly miss in I:BS (fingers crossed for I:TQFE).

Looking forward to additional types (e.g. gas planets) in ED.

2 Likes

Yeah, this beta they seem to have went for a lot of smaller QoL additions. Besides the new content they’re also doing some balance passes on heat combat mechanics and fixed weapons, there’s a change regarding limpets used in piracy, and they’re buffing two trading ships.

Almost ready to upgrade but thinking that unless they add avatars I’ll probably pass. Now I’m playing Battlefront and I have to say it’s a ton of fun, despite being an EA product.

The next patch after this one adds the Character Creator and Multi-Crew. No ETA on that, hopefully by the end of the year.

2 Likes

Really nice video of ship scale in ED, all ships included.

3 Likes
1 Like

Really love some of their ships - only wish players could actually enter them and walk around.

1 Like

Give it time, we may see that some day.

For now I have all but lost interest in it. Engineers pretty much ruined it for me to be honest. But I am patient enough to see what comes down the line and more than busy enough with other things to keep me occupied.

1 Like

I suppose the chances for that are slim to non-existent. There’s been at least a comfortable three month between each major patch and we’re at the end (!) of October. They’d have had to devlop 2.3 completely in parallel to 2.2, if we are to see anything of 2.3 before the end of the year other than some teasers. December has the Christmas holidays coming up and for the devs’ sake, I hope they spend that with family, rather than crunching 2.3 to the finish line. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very impressive. Wonder when the last major update will be because I would rather wait until they are finished.