Hope they changed their mining…use to be you would drill with laser, cut off a piece and fly ship forward, capture and repeat. lol
Yes…that was changed almost a year ago in 1.3 when prospectors (and other drones) was introduced.
Soooo much better now. Time to dust off Elite again.
Nice! Eventually I might dust of it too soon (and eventually look for the Horizons update as well)
I might be interested too but paying for installments sucks. When they come out with a payment plan that includes all future updates I’m in.
I doubt they will ever do another lifetime expansion pass so your best bet is the season pass. Sadly Frontier have made their pricing really harsh since the KS. I even found out recently that only a certain group get access to the Mk4 Cobra
Not good.
A lot of people are turned off by pay to play. I’m sure not going to get caught up in a never ending cycle of handing over cash. 
Talking about games in general, it’s not something that’s yet turned down to the point of none-existence, although the statement is likely more true for PC players than Console players.
Paying for an extra-DLC can be OK, as far as I’m concerned, as long as there are added content and improved gameplay. Which is not really the case yet for ED.
Hehe, I see what you did there …
That aside, I thought that Frontier was still offering those lifetime season passes … When did they stop offering them?
To my knowledge they are not offering Lifetime passes. Think that stopped after Kickstarter. Stopped by their site and didn’t see it.
Hit that one on the mark. If you think there isn’t much gameplay now you should have bought in just when the game became official. Lot of people got hooped on that one, myself included. At any rate, not a big believer in getting deals on updates because of being first to financially support game development; that’s why I have no problem with new people getting the same deal I got.
They stopped selling it around when the original Beta or Premium Beta finished I believe.
Ok. As much as is wrong with Elite (a lot of minor and major things and if you actually spend some time with the game, we could well discuss this in detail), this statement sounds like you have no idea of the game and its state at all. Unless “content” is some story driven campaign for you, then yes, the game has no content at all and will possibly never have any. In that case however, I:BS doesn’t have “content” either. It seems to be a large scale PvP “arena” type of game. The “PU” part of Star Citizen or even NMS may possibly have “no content” by that definition as well, while only “Squadron 42” would have “content”.
Horizons has so far brought planetary landings, is bringing crafting in Beta, which introduces substantial changes to the performance of some ships as well as many long needed changes to the mission generation (NPCs, but those are also added to the non-Horizons game). Planned and announced are ship launched fighters as next update, followed by player multi-crews and a one last update, for which no details have been announced, yet. That’s a ~30€ season pass currently, after they initially sold it for a very steep (imo) 60€ (but that invariably included the base game). Buy it and you’ll be able to use all those features on top of the base game (~15€ during christmas sales) indefinitely or leave it, and keep playing the base game which is still updated, e.g. with NPCs, as such fundamental changes apply universally.
That’s around 30€ for a year’s worth of updates with new features and content, to play for as long as you want and the servers are running.
It was made available again briefly around Gamescom last year, when they announced Horizons. But it was substantially more expensive than during the Alpha/Beta phase. Around 175€. Early supporters got it relatively cheap. 
See above. You might want look out for the season 3 announcement. Maybe the lifetime pass will be available again, but it may be a lot more expensive than simply waiting for the christmas sales.
IMO the expansion pass is a relatively good deal for the content that will come from Horizons. However I can understand if the current state of ED is not appealing at present. All of the coming content for Horizons is essentially what the game could have launched with if they had a bigger budget.
That’s a whole lot of speculation.
Sure, if it could’ve been reasonably expected that such space games sold GTA levels of copies, some big publisher might’ve come in, blown a huge budget into the studio up front and have it develop a GTA level of feature AAA space game over 5 to 6 years.
But as it stands Elite got a measly 1.x mio. pounds on kickstarter which in combination with Frontier’s own budget resulted in the state we have today. A pretty much minimum viable product which is extended with by means of addons over the years. It’s a bit ridiculous to complain about having to keep paying for updates here.
[quote=“Zen, post:835, topic:227, full:true”]
A lot of people are turned off by pay to play. I’m sure not going to get caught up in a never ending cycle of handing over cash.[/quote]
I’m sure the people in charge of the finances at Frontier would like to have the luxury of saying the same thing about Elite’s dev team. Bloody workforce! It’s just a never ending cycle of having to hand over cash to those ~100 people continuously working on the game.
The simple solution from a consumer perspective - if you don’t want to support the dev as much - is to wait for sales a couple more seasons into the game’s lifecycle. Downside: You don’t play the game for all the time spend waiting. Upside: You get a lot more for a lot less.
Oh don’t get me wrong it was purely a daydreaming thought
Also, add to the fact they were spending time developing the engine for several years before the kickstarter. It can’t be denied they have produced a successful space game.
My experience was no different than everyone else’s: space trucking (which became a common joke in pretty well every forum other than Elite’s), exploring untold boring planets, chipping away at asteroids then scooping up rocks by flying forward - rince repeat - and the occasional PvP…if you could find someone. Oh, and landing next to a sun each and every time? Such fun! Love the constant evasive maneuvering every single time you go to another system. lol. But hey, I guess I should have kept paying so I could jump on forums and tell everyone else they have no idea of the game… because only those that keep paying understand. 
Occasionally playing and following the game would’ve sufficed. Those that do are usually capable of leveling actual in deep criticisms at the game, rather than making trollish sweeping statements of no value to the discussion whatsoever. 
See…
[quote=“Zen, post:828, topic:227, full:true”]
Hope they changed their mining…use to be you would drill with laser, cut off a piece and fly ship forward, capture and repeat. lol[/quote]
Then one doesn’t have to explain to people that things they’re complaining about were improved about a year ago.
Troll?
‘this statement sounds like you have no idea of the game and its state at all.’
You should talk given that came right out the gate. Anyway, I can see your mind is firmly made up regardless of the facts and the experiences of early supporters…
Anyway, I’m not going to get dragged down to your passive aggressive trolling so this will be my last post. 